PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat

+2
noodle
stubbo
6 posters

Go down

multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat Empty multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 am

Can any body suggest a good reliable multi for casting heavy lures from a boat and anywhere you can reccomend buying one from. Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat Empty Re: multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat

Post  noodle Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Abu shimano daiwa
Which would you prefer?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat Empty Re: multiply reel for casting heavy lures from a boat

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm

noodle wrote:Abu shimano daiwa
Which would you prefer?
have got a daiwa at the mo but its had its day abu are quite strong well built reels think i will need left hand wind
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Get an Ambassadeur 6501C3. They're like a Meccano kit, when something breaks or wears out you just put a replacement in. Average cost of spares is about £1 per item.

Don't get a 6501C4, they don't cast or handle nearly as nicely.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Get an Ambassadeur 6501C3. They're like a Meccano kit, when something breaks or wears out you just put a replacement in. Average cost of spares is about £1 per item
have to agree as these are what i use for big jerkbaits and i also have a pair of 5501-c3 which are just as good but a bit smaller.
for me abu multipliers are the best.
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 am

The two i use most are an ancient shimano corsair and the daiwa proteus
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 pm

noodle wrote:The two i use most are an ancient shimano corsair and the daiwa proteus
i do like abu reels i have a few for sea fishing they have never let me down yet Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:20 am

6501C3 for the big stuff and the 5601AB (with the anti-backlash mechanism removed....nice blue colour too) for the smaller stuff.

I also take the brake blocks out and lube regularly with GT85.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:07 am

Eric Edwards wrote:Get an Ambassadeur 6501C3. They're like a Meccano kit, when something breaks or wears out you just put a replacement in. Average cost of spares is about £1 per item.

cheers eric think i will treat myself to one 6501c3 and a spool of power pro 50lb that should do the trick Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:35 pm

For the bigger lures, go for 80lb or even 100. It makes no difference to your catch rate and there's less chance of a crack-off. You also have the option of pulling snagged lures free.

I use 50lb on my smaller reel.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Poach is right, go heavier or you will lose a lot more lures.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:40 pm

there used to be a thing called a "lure dog" which was a contraption with two large stainless steel rings that you put over your line and it was attached to a piece of thin nylon rope. the idea was that you put the rings over your line, held the rod high and let it slide to where your lure was fouled, the trebles passed through the stainless rings and the you simply heaved on the rope to get your lure back. wonder if they are still available? if not i think i may make one as some of my lures are irreplaceable. in fact i think this could be a dragons den moment if you cant buy them anymore LOL Twisted Evil
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 am

Something like this Rozzo http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATOR-STAINLESS-STEEL-PUNK-MOUSE-LURE-SAVER-POST-FREE-/230877942124?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Lures_JN&hash=item35c165d16c it doesn't come with any line attached but I just stuck some 200lb braid that my uncle had on it.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 am

Eric Edwards wrote:Get an Ambassadeur 6501C3. They're like a Meccano kit, when something breaks or wears out you just put a replacement in. Average cost of spares is about £1 per item.

just off out know eric to buy that reel boxing day sale at stapley staffs and a spool of 80lb power pro , then out fishing the day after gaging for it think ive, got cabin fever...... affraid
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm

gutted all sold out........ No
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:05 pm

mmmm may have a pair for you if you want them? let me know? they're as new of course Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 pm

rozzo wrote:mmmm may have a pair for you if you want them? let me know? they're as new of course Wink
what model are they rozzo i have just ordered one mate
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:51 pm

hi
6501-c3, as new Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:12 pm

finally got that ambassadeur 6501c3 been out with it today well chuffed with it casts like dream cant wait to try it on the boat with some big lures /jerkbaifs .rubbers
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:26 am

When you get to the point where you've undone the tension nut on the side nut as far as you can (the spool will play from side to side a little) you then have the option of removing the brake-blocks inside, replacing the bearings with ceramic bearings and lubing with GT85. One step at a time though but once you get there, you'll be throwing lures for miles. Get the thumb trained first though cos birdnests are a nightmare.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 am

Not worth doing IMHO you'll only get a few extra feet if you go through all that and distance isn't everything anyway. More important to work on your accuracy (especially on rivers) and controlling the retrieve.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Not worth doing IMHO you'll only get a few extra feet if you go through all that and distance isn't everything anyway. More important to work on your accuracy (especially on rivers) and controlling the retrieve.
well impressed with it eric might even buy another but dont tell the wife........... not had any birdies yet straight from the box got 40kg power pro on it casting about 50 yards with ease not pushing yet.
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

I always say, if you don't get at least one overrun in a day's fishing you're not trying hard enough. Very Happy

Last edited by Eric Edwards on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Not worth doing IMHO you'll only get a few extra feet if you go through all that and distance isn't everything anyway. More important to work on your accuracy (especially on rivers) and controlling the retrieve.

Granted but that same distance requires a whole lot less effort and when you cast maybe 500 times a day, it adds up.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down