PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking?

+3
nickcarpy
Eric Edwards
daveb
7 posters

Go down

Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking? Empty Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking?

Post  daveb Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 am

I'm looking at getting a new set of reels and I was thinking of going for something a bit beefier than the usual Baitrunner 8000's. Has anyone tried or does anyone use the Shimano Big Baitrunners with the long cast spools - these look properly robust but I'm concerned they may be a bit on the big side?

Thanks
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking? Empty Re: Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking?

Post  Eric Edwards Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 am

I have two but I very rarely use them. They aren't as robust as they look, I have had a problem with them but can't remember what it was (it's my age). They are very big but their biggest problem is that they are very very heavy. If you travel light as I always do these days then they are a no no.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking? Empty Re: Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking?

Post  nickcarpy Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47 am

great reels,been out years but just changed design..top work horse but only let down is they are a bit heavy if you roving..but if not then they are fine because most of the time there on rodpod or banksticks so not much of a problem Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Yeah, that was my concern to be honest. A baitrunner 8000 weighs only 540gms whereas Big Baitrunner weighs in at a scary 760gms!!

Eric, can I ask what you use, I've been using baitrunners from the start but I'm not convinced they have the casting range of some of the bigger spooled models.

thanks
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Ive got four, use every weekend, summer for the cats. winter for the pike. I love them, yes quite heavy but personaly i feel they are indestructable. They heve been in and out the lake, dropped, thrown up banks, loads of fish and nothing fights as hard as the cats. I would reccomend. bounce bounce
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Yeah, they do look super robust and I've seen some photos of the internals and it all looks very high speck - machined main gear and brass pinions etc. Having said that, the Baitrunner 'D' looks like a contender, its a bit smaller and a lot lighter but looks of a similar build quality.

I also have an offer of some brand new original Baitrunner 8000 GTE's (before they went silver and bling) and I'm tempted by these, but I would like to try something a bit more beefed up.
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 pm

i think a big thing to remember here is that the casting distance in piking is usually determined by the bait and it's crap aerodynamic properties and poor hold on the hooks,, not entirely the quality of the reel.
the 8000's look a great reel to me, very sturdy and strong Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Shimano Big Baitrunner LC's - anyone use them (or similar) for piking? Empty penn

Post  creamcake007 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey mate, im using Penn Surfmaster 70s, super tough,with long cast spools.No bait runner facility, but dont use one when piking anyway Very Happy
creamcake007
creamcake007

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 am

creamcake007 wrote:Hey mate, im using Penn Surfmaster 70s, super tough,with long cast spools.No bait runner facility, but dont use one when piking anyway Very Happy
+1 i had the longcasts and they let me down in the cold i had to reel my baits in on the baitrunner set as tightly as i could get it.
I use three main reels for bsit fishing i have a fourth but i am yet to use them
Penn surfmaster 70 which are 10 years old now and never missba beat
Daiwa sealine bull 6000 huge reel and bombproof
Original aerlex 4000's
The latest i have are penn slammer livliners but im yet to use them as i need to order the rods for them
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:56 am

I went to Staperly Angling Centre yesterday to try out a number of reels - boy, is the baitrunner LC a big brute!! Awesome reel but way to big for my needs. I tried the new xt-a big baitrunners which were nice, but for the money just seemed a little cheap and plastic feeling imo.
Anyway, I've decided to plumb for a pair of baitruner 8000 OC's which are an updated version of the older USA style bairunners. They look and feel bombproof and are the perfect size. All metal casings, 4 bearings, forged spool etc. quality piece of kit. There's a breif write up of the 6000 version in this months total course fishing if anyones interested.

Btw, this is what they look like: http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/shimano/shimano-baitrunner-oc-reels

And my 8000 Limited Editions are up for sale if anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Shimano-Baitrunner-8000-Limited-Edition-/181045098595?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item2a2720f863
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down