PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single hook rigs

+2
stubbo
micpiker
6 posters

Go down

Single hook rigs Empty Single hook rigs

Post  micpiker Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi

Ive done a search, nothing too recent about them. Anyone else started using them or prefere to trebles?

Local fishery to me has cats and pike and can only use singles. For cats, ive always used a size 4 thru the tail bit ot a sardine but never tried for pike. Guessing its the same?!

micpiker

Back to top Go down

Single hook rigs Empty Re: Single hook rigs

Post  stubbo Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:29 pm

micpiker wrote:Hi

Ive done a search, nothing too recent about them. Anyone else started using them or prefere to trebles?

Local fishery to me has cats and pike and can only use singles. For cats, ive always used a size 4 thru the tail bit ot a sardine but never tried for pike. Guessing its the same?!
trebles for me pal have used singles in the past but not a fan went back to trebles
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  brownfox Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I have used size 2 singles when wobbling sprats from a boat the hook up rate 100%. Cant seem to get the confidence to use them when deading. We may have to get used to it in the future, Inotice several fisheries have banned them here in the UK. In Canada they are illegal in all rivers and some off there productive lakes, interestingly i have used a single and a treble whilst livebaiting the bait seems to last longer, and i suppose it would make sense to do the same with deads putting the single through the fork of the tail just as the hook up for casting, angling is all about experimenting give it a try, you may be supprised.
brownfox
brownfox

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 pm

brownfox wrote:I have used size 2 singles when wobbling sprats from a boat the hook up rate 100%. Cant seem to get the confidence to use them when deading. We may have to get used to it in the future, Inotice several fisheries have banned them here in the UK. In Canada they are illegal in all rivers and some off there productive lakes, interestingly i have used a single and a treble whilst livebaiting the bait seems to last longer, and i suppose it would make sense to do the same with deads putting the single through the fork of the tail just as the hook up for casting, angling is all about experimenting give it a try, you may be supprised.

i've been contemplating making some rigs with a single (size 4) followed by 2 size 6 trebles.... might seem like overkill to some but the idea is that the single goes through the tail root of the bait and the 2 trebles go down the flank (position of trebles splitting the bait into 3rds). the reason i'm thinking this may be good is that putting the top treble further down the flank may lead to better hook ups and less lost fish Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Single hook rigs Empty single hook

Post  brownfox Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm

It might be OK on a large bait but it would look like a scrap yard on a small bait i think,and i think the Pike woul;d feel and reject the bait with all that metalwork. Still its only my opinion
brownfox
brownfox

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:18 pm

my thoughts are that putting trebles further along the bait could easily result in more deep hooked pike. for that reason i'm going to be experimenting with single treble hook rigs using one bigger hook or possibly double single hook rigs.
when a pike strikes at a fish i don't believe it feels it first and i think the actual take is involuntary once the strike instinct has been triggered. yes they'll grub dead fish of the bottom but again i dont think they care what it is at the time.
the fish's welfare is paramount to me especially since our eu cousins insist on coming over here and eating most of em.
dont hang me, these are my thoughts for what they are worth Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Last 2 outings i have been trying single size 4 hooks 2 of them on a snap tackle as you would use 2 trebles
one rod with 2 treble hook rig on and one rod with 2 single hook rig and i was surprized to get 2 pike on single hook rigs and 1 pike on treble hook rig on both outings

So i will carry on doing this way until i can say for sure which one is best :-) ( only using smelt )
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 pm

brownfox wrote:It might be OK on a large bait but it would look like a scrap yard on a small bait i think,and i think the Pike woul;d feel and reject the bait with all that metalwork. Still its only my opinion

yeah i was only thinking for baits of 7-8" plus anyway mate. and of course i'd decrease the amount of time to strike significantly for this type of rig as well.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am

its just my oppinion but i think single hooks would be easier to swallow which could lead to deep hooking
where a treble would snag up quicker in its mouth due to there being 6 points of hook up its just a theory i have on singles i think people will leave it longer to strike if they are using singles............ Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Up to now i've not had any deep hooks one maybe its because i pull into them as soon as theres any indication of a take Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know some anglers leave a take for sometime before they strike / pull into them and its just my opinion but i think they are asking for trouble as some pike just swallow the bait as soon as they pick it up Shocked
But like i said thats just my opinion Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 pm

adie1200 wrote:Up to now i've not had any deep hooks one maybe its because i pull into them as soon as theres any indication of a take Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know some anglers leave a take for sometime before they strike / pull into them and its just my opinion but i think they are asking for trouble as some pike just swallow the bait as soon as they pick it up Shocked
But like i said thats just my opinion Wink
you know the score adie when it comes to striking like you say straight away no messing but there a stillquite a few out there who like to leave it far to long which will result in a deep hooking which they will strugle to remove the hooks be it singles or trebles not knocking singles everyone to there own its just going on my own exsperience with them.........over the years santa
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down