PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone out today?

Go down

anyone out today? Empty anyone out today?

Post  rozzo on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 am

i'm off out later for a look round at whats frozen and whats not. will deffo be fishing somewhere tomorrow and would love a pike snow pic lol.
just wondered if anyone is out fishing today?
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

anyone out today? Empty Re: anyone out today?

Post  -CrAiG- on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 pm

I was out today had a pike just over 9lbs my feet were freezin all day
[img]anyone out today? DSCF1105_zps053a7156[/img]
caught it on a smelt with a float!
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Nice one mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by adie1200 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 am

well done bud Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:09 am

I managed to get out ona yorkshire river.

Dragged myself out of bed this morning at 5.45am, took the dog out for a quick walk and noticed we'd had a good blanket of snow, but given that conditions havent changed much for a week or two i still felt I had a chance.

I had intended to walk a lot further today but the snow made it twice as hard so i only really fished a small section of river, one which i hadnt tried before. The plan was to fish away from my car for chub, and back towards my car for pike.

Given the conditions i wanted my chub bait to move around with the flow, so all I had was a link ledger with 1 x AAA and a size 8 korum hook, and starting off with my favourite cold water bait Wink ;D

A few pics of the walk....

anyone out today? P1020350
anyone out today? P1020351
anyone out today? P1020352

The pic above was the first peg, which produced no fish. A move further and my next swim, i flicked the bai out towards the centre and after 5 minutes or so the rod wrapped round to an unmissable bite. A pleasing start, at 4lb 9oz...

anyone out today? P1020355

Despite trying 5 or 6 other pegs no more chub were forthcoming other than the odd pluck. Away went the chub rod, and out came the piking gear for the walk back. Smelt was the bait (Again!!). The first two swims produced nothing, the i had a very slow dipping of the float which i hit and hooked. After a short tussle amongst the branches i soon landed this pike, not quite a double but a nice 9lb 8oz.

anyone out today? P1020356

No more bites after that and I got back to the car happy with my efforts and supped a nice cuppa to warm me up.

The sort of morning I like - My quest for a 20 from this particular river continues (i've had two from the river closest to me so this is my next challenge!)

jimlad
jimlad

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 am

fantastic pics and a great write up,, if you aren't a journalist you should be. Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:55 am

Chware teg. Jimlad.. (fair-play) Smile Smile ... lovely fish there,, Out of intrest fella, is smelt your fav, bait,,,for river fishing Exclamation
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:59 am

I always carry smelt, it's definitely my favourite bait and has account for my bigger pike at this time of year to 24lb 15oz from the rivers . If the water colours up ill tend to change to herring or mackerel but certainly in low, clear conditions the cucumber like scent from smelt usually saves me from a blank
jimlad
jimlad

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 am

jimlad wrote:I always carry smelt, it's definitely my favourite bait and has account for my bigger pike at this time of year to 24lb 15oz from the rivers . If the water colours up ill tend to change to herring or mackerel but certainly in low, clear conditions the cucumber like scent from smelt usually saves me from a blank

I've tend to use sardine, in the clear water, which ive found to be a productive bait, Exclamation , However with the smelt i yet to hit a double when using it, i seem to attract jacks when using smelt Shocked ( Not that's a bad thing, when you not catching)...
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 am

I suppose pike will feed differently in different rivers. Be interesting to know what other people find with their most productive river bait for the big fish...
jimlad
jimlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum