PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from a newly returned angler

4 posters

Go down

Hello from a newly returned angler Empty Hello from a newly returned angler

Post  edbeartwo Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am

Hi All, my name is Ed, and I am located in Malvern, Worcs., I fished all the time as a nipper back in the 60's and early 70's and worked saturdays in a tackle shop (D.J.'s in Cirencester). Although I occasionally spun for Pike in the South Cerney pits (I was a member of the S.C.A.C.) It was the arrival of the first Fred Buller Pike book in the shop (around 1968) that had me amazed as a young lad, and from that day I sold my match stuff and only fished for Pike. Older members will recall those days, when some anglers often killed all the "pest" Pike they caught, and it was sadly not uncommon to see large dead specimens on the bankside, either because of un-attended dead baiting / deep hooking, or through pure badness and ignorance.

Reading Fred's book at that young age (I am 56 now), really got me thinking and I had some good results back then, with a P.B. of 19 lbs.

However, the 70's were in full swing, and I was 16 and had a moped, so I spent less and less time at the waters, until I just stopped (probably within a year).

A chance encounter with a Lee rod at a car boot brought back memories a year or so ago, so I have started again on a limited basis, using what I suppose some would consider "classic ", "retro" or just plain antique kit, but which when I was younger was the stuff I could only dream about, ie Mitchell 300's, Lee / Hardy / Anon Shaw spinners / deadbait rods, and re-hooked and re-built old spoons and plugs.

I got some funny looks at the local tackle shop at first, the terminology and kit has move on a lot, but I personally do not believe Pike have evolved, and have proved this to myself  with several recent fish up to doubles caught the same way as I did 40 years ago:D 

Anyway, I am having fun, which is the main thing, and am so glad that the welfare of this wonderful fish is now taken more seriously.

I have an old shot of me as a lad, and some recent catches, but cannot post at the moment due to being a newbie.

Tight lines all!,

Ed

edbeartwo

Back to top Go down

Hello from a newly returned angler Empty Re: Hello from a newly returned angler

Post  welsh piker Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Welcome aboard Ed..Smile  South cerney... haven't fished there for a while....
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  Old-CodJA Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Ed,

Now there's a coincidence, my lifetime best pal is another 'Ed' and he now lives in Wales, so could be said to be another 'welsh piker'

Reading your post brought back so many memories. Being a few years older than you (63) I can well relate to the tackle and times that you describe. My brother-in-law and I had the good fortune to have fished with Fred Wagstaffe & Bob Reynolds during their 'Footloose around the Fens' Piking series for Angling Times in about 1971/2. We spent most of our time fishing for Pike in those days. My best is a 33 from one of the bigger Fenland Drains and fish of 28 and 25 from smaller 'land drains' too. For many years I did pack in Piking in favour of match fishing and other pursuits, but when Ed was living back up here for a while a couple of years ago, we took to going back to old haunts, fishing the same way we did as youngsters over 45 years ago, but more often using dead rather than live baits and we quickly racked up quite a lot of good fish including two 20 lbs plus fish caught within 15 minutes of each other on one particularly good morning.

You're right in my view, Pike haven't evolved in that time, Pike fishing may have done in some areas, but as has so often been said, more fishing tackle is designed to catch anglers than will ever catch fish.

I love watching the float drift slowly along beside a bed of overhanging reed on a cold, misty autumn morning, knowing that at any second that sharp 'bob' may herald the arrival of Sir Esox to show interest in my suspended Smelt or other offering.

I went and had a look at our favourite spot on Tuesday and have never seen the old place looking so 'piky'. I'm looking forward to an early start on Sunday morning in the certain knowledge that whether I catch or not, I shall really enjoy being by the water, cloaked in anticipation of doing battle with another toothy adversary.
Old-CodJA
Old-CodJA

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:51 pm

welcome to the site bud:D Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Old-CodJA Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Many thanks Mad&Bad Very Happy 

Just trying to decide whether I can free up time to make the trek up to Donny for that canal meet-up that I saw mentioned on another thread, but in the meantime, keen to get out there tomorrow morning. I hope that anyone else out tomorrow has a good day.
Old-CodJA
Old-CodJA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum