PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three pikey shorts !

2 posters

Go down

Three pikey shorts ! Empty Three pikey shorts !

Post  piketastic Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 pm

Let's see if I can come up with something interesting here then, to get our pike tastebuds going. 3 little experiences over the summer all quirky and weird in their own way , but all happened since the rivers reopened on June 16.
I decided to take one of my lads for a session on the Boston drains, where my pike fishing obsession started, too many years ago. I arrived a couple of hours before him , around 7pm for an all nighter. I got out a little telescopic and fished in the edge with a few maggots to see what I could catch, I didn't throw a pike rod in at first , the drain was really weedy but amazingly enough the peg that I wanted to get to was the only clear bit of drain. The weed was dense and static everywhere else. In the next hour I caught, gudgeon, Tommy ruff, roach, perch, bream, bleak, Rudd and dace, I'm sure there was one more species but I can't think what it was.
My lad rang to say he would be half an hour and he added that I must be mad for not chucking a bait out.
So I got a sizeable roach dead bait and under armed it just to the side, instantaneously a pike struck and a minute later was in the net.
My lad rang again to say he was lost so I told him to hurry up as I had an 18 in the net. 😀.
A couple of minutes later he arrived just as I was letting the 18 inch fish go😀😀😀. A pikes a pike !
I sat up the bank in the car as my son took over the telescopic, he then had an eel !
I reckon we had 10 species in just a few hours.
In the morning I took him to a small pool on one of the drains , I knew it had bait fish and the odd pike.
Once again the pike rod was left on one side while the maggot rod tried to catch bits.
The little self cocker sailed away and under and the little 6 foot telescopic bent as a 5 ounce perch gave a terrific scrap on the light tackle, that was until Mr Pike came from under a little weir and nabbed the perch. I was fighting a decent jack on the lightest of tackle and in the clear water we could see every move. The pike took me over to the far side before letting go of the stunned perch and as I slowly retrieved the perch , he came and grabbed it again, more or less the exact same scenario repeated itself another 3 times over the next 5 minutes. However, the pike was beginning to let go of the perch closer and closer to me.
I told my son to have the landing net vertical to the water and I paraded the perch just in front of the net, the pike shot up at an angle at the perch, at that same time I moved the perch away and the pike ended up straight in the landing net. 😀 It was a new PB for catching a pike without hooks at around 7 pound. 😀👍 fascinating to see and the perch swam off aswell !!!

The second little experience happened on a little marina over 3 or 4 weeks, we were trying to put my uncle on to his first ever Zander, the first week I had a little zed and a 16 pound pike, my uncle failed to catch a zed but landed a 9.12 pike. The pike was easily distinguishable it had like a duck billed mouth. My son had a couple of nice carp at the same venue on the same trip.
We were back again the week after and did the business with an 8 pound Zander for my uncle. He was chuffed to bits, 76 and his first Zander. As we were packing up I reeled my baits in and a scraper double pike snaffled my roach dead bait , it was the same one as the previous week. I didn't like the thought of that, even though we were fishing a different area, it was definitely the same fish.
The following week I didn't go, but both my lads went, the carp didn't show for the carp son, but the piking son had a scraper double on the inlet to the marina. You guessed it, the same fish.
One area of the marina was shaded by trees and the odd carp were beginning to top as the weather got warmer. The carp son, had got them coming up for bread and biscuit which was to us in any case almost unheard of on a river/ marina, so as he sat there the following week, with the sun starting to fade and roach topping everywhere, his eyes were glued to his floating crust under an overhanging tree, as the bait was engulfed he struck and knew straight away this was no carp. But it was unimaginable to be the scraper double pike on CRUST. What's all that about !!!! 9.12 duck billed features pike got caught and released again. We haven't been back there for 6 weeks or so. 😳
Third little story happened last week. I popped over to see silkmen (Jake) on his syndicate reservoir over in Cheshire.
He too was carping and had done good with around 20 carp over a couple of days to just over 20 pounds. Great going! But im pike through and through, in went my pike rods , perhaps around 20 feet away from Jake. Jakes mate was a further 20 feet the other side. There was only us 3 anglers on the whole reservoir, it's not a massive reservoir, perhaps a mile or so walk round it, give or take. So a fair bit of water to go at.
As we were sat there, catching up , Jake noticed a ripple at the waters edge, he said " there's a pike there Craig". He was right it was just a couple of feet away from us right next to jakes rod. He stood up and the pike darted away leaving a stunned 4 ounce perch , I kid you not , right at jakes feet. He simply bent down and said " you might as well put this on pal" . He picked the perch up and it was placed on the sunken float rod. All that water, all the places for things to happen that you wouldn't normally see. It was the first time ever that I had had a pike delivering bait to me😀 Very kind of it. Anyway I don't know wether it was the same fish but 10 minutes later I was letting a little 6 pounder go that had taken the special delivery bait. 👍
...........just three strange little stories I thought that I would share.
Now let's get ready for October ! Cheers Craig
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Three pikey shorts ! Empty Re: Three pikey shorts !

Post  silkmen Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:50 pm

brillit stuff mate.
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum