PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep Water Fishing

Go down

Deep Water Fishing  Empty Deep Water Fishing

Post  Pikeron on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering what kind of depths people are confident dead baiting in? I tend to look for 16-20ft in the lakes I've been fishing but there is plenty of water down at silly depths. I know Pike can be caught all over on Lures, but when it comes to baits on the bottom what kind of Depths do people look for to find them big girls this time of year?

TIA

Pikeron

Back to top Go down

Deep Water Fishing  Empty Re: Deep Water Fishing

Post  matt859 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:54 am

most of the places I fish are relatively shallow so I fish on the deck. I dont think I would fish much deeper than 12 - 15 ft anyway.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 am

I regularly fish in 50 to 60ft of water. but it has its problems with the odd pike becoming gassed up. you have to play them to the surface very slowly so they have chance to balance their swim bladders. I also fish from a boat so its easier to get them to go back down and re balance themselves. It has risks but ive never had a fish die.
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Deep Water Fishing  Empty depth makes a difference

Post  stubbo on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm

fished quiet a few big lakes in the lake district mainly from the banks and boat
but in the main most of my fish were caught in the shallower areas , probably around the 15ft mark and shallower this is on lures mind....
was told by a local expert to avoid the deeper areas ......which turn out the right advice for me
there is one lake in particular , if you cast to the horizon no bites/runs , but if you lob it twenty yard off it goes , a lot of the higher lakes and tarns are very deep and drop off dramatically so a short cast keeps you in touch with the fish , which are fry feeding in the margin areas...but it depends on your type of lake you fish
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 am

I don't fish dead baits over 30feet even when I had the boat. I would troll lures over deep water but they are still running at not much more then 20feet.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:04 pm

psion wrote:I don't fish dead baits over 30feet even when I had the boat. I would troll lures over deep water but they are still running at not much more then 20feet.
had my biggest pike in about 30ft water my mate has them in deeper water... but not often
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum