PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Catching part two

Page 36 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36

Go down

Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Empty rod choices ........

Post  stubbo on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 pm

ohh dear
if your going to spend that amount on your rods , you will probably get good quality rods for your money
there is a huge amount of choice out there when it comes to rods , as you know there are different rods for different applications depending on what venue you are fishing .If like me I fish a lot of different types of venues from big still waters  to narrow canals and small to medium gravel pits  and have acquired  rods to suit
as follows

boat and canals and small pits  10ft x2  3 .5lb test curve rods by rod Hutchison / dwarf type
large still waters and big gravel pits where you need to fish at distance , but not always... greys prodigy 2x12ft  1x13.5... rod the longer one for drifter fishing
I also own 2 x 2.5lb 10ft whychwood  pike rods for smaller , pike / carp/ tench large bream  , very versatile rods these.
I also have quite a few older rods which I rarely use these days.....
I just like to cover all basis    
the greys prodigy rods  which I purchased from a fishing tackle show years ago cost me 80 quid each in a deal...which I could not resist and well worth it....... as the quality was outstanding
my advice is to think long and hard as to what type you really need for your type of fishing........ I must say you look older than seven lol! lol! lol!
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Empty Re: Anybody Catching part two

Post  mattjb on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 pm

psion wrote:Hi. Putting the virus to one side I hope you all had a good season. As I said in a previous post I had a great season but it was not without
some problems. I brought a Korum day shelter which I thought was ok till I put it up in a strong wind and it snapped all the poles off.Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 20191112
I also bought a Fox predator rod (which was a replacement for rod which I broke ) that snapped off casting a Mackerel tail.
Fortunately, I got my money back on the shelter and they replaced the top section of the rod so have to give a thumbs up to Angling Direct.
The next incident was a really stupid one - I reversed my car over my rod bag and broke all three rods.
Looking on the positive side they were on old ones (but favourites) and was planning on replacing them this year with three new ones for my Seventh birthday.
So any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated - I'm looking to spend £150-£200 a rod. It is my Seventh after all!!
I do hope we all come through this situation unscathed and I will hear from you all next season. Looking forward to wetting a line soon.

ATB Ian.
That was unlucky ,but a good excuse to splash out on some new ones!
Personally I've always used mid range and second hand stuff and been perfectly happy with them. The greys GS pike boat rods I use have especially been brilliant rods for the money and the size of the fish I've caught using them means they've got such sentimental value I can't see me changing them until I break them! My bank rods are 5 old Daiwa powermesh ones,all second hand and still going strong after years of abuse.
If I was spending the sort of money you are going to on a set that would see me out I'd maybe spend a tad more and go for Dave lumb rods,tony Kay's or Broadland rods.
Lumby's are really well regarded,my mate has a set of X1 s and they are lovely rods.The tony Kay ones built on free spirit blanks are also supposed to be good.
The disadvantage of custom ones will be waiting for them to be built which could be influenced by availability of parts at the moment I guess.

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi thanks for the info. They are for lake and reservoir fishing. I have looked at Dave Lumbs but thinking about Grey's at the moment. I have two Grey's
10' boat rods which I which I think are great. I have not heard of Tony Kay's but will have a look at them. My birthday is not til August and don't
need them till Sep/Oct so I have plenty of time to look around. Thanks again.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:39 pm

psion wrote:Hi thanks for the info. They are for lake and reservoir fishing.  I have looked at Dave Lumbs but thinking about Grey's at the moment. I have two Grey's
10' boat rods which I which I think are great. I have not heard of Tony Kay's but will have a look at them. My birthday is not til August and don't
need them till Sep/Oct so I have plenty of time to look around. Thanks again.
have a look on Glasgow angling web site , always seem to have good deals on there , also angling direct , and ebay .....
so I would think your after a pair of 12 ft and in the range of 3lb to 3.05 lb tests for lakes and reservoirs ......Very Happy good luck
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:48 pm

stubbo wrote:Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Last_g10Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Last_g11Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Last_g12Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Last_g13        
Jesus I need some fishing , good job I had these the day before lockdown
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:38 am

I'm feeling it too stubbo - I love football (Everton) but basically had a week of withdrawal from football and haven't honestly given it a minutes thought since. Whereas my fishing I find myself going over and over my gear on a daily basis, my gear has never been cleaner, I'm watching anything I can find on Youtube fishing related (anything to do with Terry Hearn is excellent whether you are a Carp angler or not) Hopefully once we get into May and most importantly we have all stayed safe, some restrictions will be lifted and we'll all be back on the banks.
David Wynne
David Wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:12 pm

David Wynne wrote:I'm feeling it too stubbo - I love football (Everton) but basically had a week of withdrawal from football and haven't honestly given it a minutes thought since. Whereas my fishing I find myself going over and over my gear on a daily basis, my gear has never been cleaner, I'm watching anything I can find on Youtube fishing related (anything to do with Terry Hearn is excellent whether you are a Carp angler or not) Hopefully once we get into May and most importantly we have all stayed safe, some restrictions will be lifted and we'll all be back on the banks.
same here Dave   some of my gear has never seen the light of day , been through every box ,rod bag , found gear I had forgotten about , sorted  all my course fishing gear out , makes you realise how much you have and don't use, but the wife has been telling me this for years    ........stay safe as regards to you tube been watching tench fishing set ups and the likes , not fished for tench for years but getting the itch for a session as they don't half fight on the right tackle....

regards stubbo
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne on Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Stubbo

You are in the right club for Tench fishing, a certain one of there waters is arguably one of the best Tench waters in the North West at the moment Wink
David Wynne
David Wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:33 pm

David Wynne wrote:Stubbo

You are in the right club for Tench fishing, a certain one of there waters is arguably one of the best Tench waters in the North West at the moment Wink  
pm........ me which one Dave , got an idea which , but like I say not done the tench for years pal

regards stubbo
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:51 pm

I have been doing the same. I have washed all my winter clothes and my waterproofs and reproofed them. I have ordered some tackle and bait
for my Barbel and Catfish fishing and I am going to try and make some boilies, pellets and paste. Also I will have some rigs to make up.
That should keep me busy for a while. I've been chopping wood up for our woodstore the last couple of days. Trying hard to keep busy whilst
under lockdown!!!

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 pm

psion wrote:I have been doing the same. I have washed all my winter clothes and my waterproofs and reproofed them. I have ordered some tackle and bait
for my Barbel and Catfish fishing and I am going to try and make some boilies, pellets and paste. Also I will have some rigs to make up.
That should keep me busy for a while.  I've been chopping wood up for our woodstore the last couple of days. Trying hard to keep busy whilst
under lockdown!!!
think they have just announced another 3 weeks at least lockdown..... Sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching part two - Page 36 Empty anglers are staying at home ......

Post  stubbo on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:19 pm

had I walk around some of my local venues , took the dog for a good walk , and not bumped into anybody fishing on the quiet , to be honest I thought there would be the odd scally out there.....but nobody keep it up guys , it wont be much longer hopefully Rolling Eyes  
how is it in your areas are they all staying home........and not out fishing....... Evil or Very Mad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Every day feels like Groundhog Day - Generally, I just take the dogs out in the park near me so I don't know if anyone is actually out fishing. You can't get into the Lake district - they are turning people back if they don't have a good reason to be on the road.
I have been spending a bit on Ebay, I found two of the rods that I broke - Fox Extreme for £120 could just do with another one. I use them for my river fishing.
I have also brought 3 Gardner ATT bite alarms to replace my ageing Delkins - they have not arrived yet.
After much thought I have decided to order some Harrison Ballistia pike rods to replace my old Fox predator elite rods for my Seventh birthday.
I'm hoping my family will contribute/treat me Very Happy

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:33 pm

psion wrote:Every day feels like Groundhog Day - Generally, I just take the dogs out in the park near me so I don't know if anyone is actually out fishing. You can't get into the Lake district - they are turning people back if they don't have a good reason to be on the road.
I have been spending a bit on Ebay, I found two of the rods that I broke - Fox Extreme for £120 could just do with another one. I use them for my river fishing.
I have also brought 3 Gardner ATT bite alarms to replace my ageing Delkins - they have not arrived yet.
After much thought I have decided to order some Harrison Ballistia pike rods to replace my old Fox predator elite rods for my Seventh birthday.
I'm hoping my family will contribute/treat me  Very Happy
I said the same myself to the wife pal regarding groundhog day........ affraid bounce hang on in there ........ lol!
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum