PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shark Slide Bait - Potential To Be Adapted For Pike Dead Baiting?

+8
greg
kell
stephen abbott
nightwatchman
nickcarpy
John Dinnewell
Alex Makk
patch
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shark Slide Bait - Potential To Be Adapted For Pike Dead Baiting? - Page 2 Empty Re: Shark Slide Bait - Potential To Be Adapted For Pike Dead Baiting?

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Gents, please forgive my ignorance but i am honestly trying to follow the converstion here.......... pale
Is the above applicable assuming the fish is swimming away from the rod with the bait???? What happens if it picks up the bait and runs towards the rod - surely this is when you are going to want a heavier lead to act as an anchor point to pulley the line and effectively activate the alarm/indication??? scratch
I hope that makes sense because i think i may have just confused myself......... geek

Back to top Go down

Shark Slide Bait - Potential To Be Adapted For Pike Dead Baiting? - Page 2 Empty Re: Shark Slide Bait - Potential To Be Adapted For Pike Dead Baiting?

Post  Andy Webster Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:24 pm

No offence taken Rob I love you lol!

I am trying to figure out why so much lead is needed on a ledger rig. I have heard of some people struggling to set up the gate clips (didn't we have a discussion on here about this last winter?)

I just can't understand why I have to use 3oz of lead when ledgering because with my setup I don't believe that it will. I know that you, too, are ok using less than 3oz with your setup.

Tootall
I use the baitrunner.

Andy Wink

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:26 pm

duane wrote:Gents, please forgive my ignorance but i am honestly trying to follow the converstion here.......... pale
Is the above applicable assuming the fish is swimming away from the rod with the bait???? What happens if it picks up the bait and runs towards the rod - surely this is when you are going to want a heavier lead to act as an anchor point to pulley the line and effectively activate the alarm/indication??? scratch
I hope that makes sense because i think i may have just confused myself......... geek

I think you have the right idea Duane.

My swinger will register a drop back if the fish comes towards me.

Andy

Andy Webster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:31 pm

This is what I thought Andy.......................but your front indicator should pick up the line movement and sound anyway, not so? Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 pm

duane wrote:This is what I thought Andy.......................but your front indicator should pick up the line movement and sound anyway, not so? Question

Yes it will Duane, it picks up trembles.

pike can take a bait on the spot without taking line so personally I prefer to use floats.

Andy Webster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Got my young jack pike on float today - must admit that there is something about waiting in anticipation and seeing that float come to life all of a sudden................. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Andy Webster wrote:No offence taken Rob I love you lol!

I am trying to figure out why so much lead is needed on a ledger rig. I have heard of some people struggling to set up the gate clips (didn't we have a discussion on here about this last winter?)

I just can't understand why I have to use 3oz of lead when ledgering because with my setup I don't believe that it will. I know that you, too, are ok using less than 3oz with your setup.

Tootall
I use the baitrunner.

Andy Wink

i cant understand using any more than 2oz to be honest mate.... unless fishing rivers with a really heavy run i.e. the trent. surely using alot of lead would be detrimental when you're winding down to strike the fish.
yes we did discuss line gates last winter..... i finally modified my micron p's with line clips because i just could not trust them to release the line effectively
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:25 pm

i've seen a few guys use 1oz leads with a good bait on. when thay cast its there bait taking there lead out. should be the other way round .....
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:14 pm

not necessarily greg...... yes the lead will fly back up the line a bit but if you time it right you can feather the spool to slow the bait a little just before the rig hits the water, the lead will more or less catch up with the bait by the time water contact is made eradicating the problem.
alternatively it can be beneficial to have the lead a bit further away from the bait acting in the same way as a backlead if you dont feather the spool as i said and tighten up to the rig REALLY gently and just clip up when you have a tight line. if theres any extra slack between the rod and rig the drop off/swinger will take this up and you just re-adjust the indication accordingly.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:24 pm

dont get me wrong here rob, i used 1/1.5 oz leads all the time. untill i read the views of others on here. useing the larger leads it did help with the shy pike. ie bouncing weights on the pickup. a 3oz lead and a section of lamprey you can punt out along way, bigger baits well it tells on the rod. so aye your right Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:43 pm

i myself have given heavier leads (2-3oz) a go since reading things on this forum but to be totall honest i've found i get more dropped/missed runs than when i was using 1.5oz max.
now the only reason i put a lead over 1.5oz on is if i want to put a small/lightweight bait i.e. smelt or lamprey over 50 yards out.
but with larger baits i.e half mackerel i find that if i put a lead over 1.5oz on then it cuts casting distance down quite dramatically.
it may just be that i use lighter actioned rods than some of the others here (my big water rods are 2.75 tc century armalite mk1's) but if i use a bigger lead with a big bait then the rod struggles to load properly.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm

its hyperlites 2.75 i use. and yes the larger leads overload the rod, depending on baits.
i dont want to carry spod rods aswell as the hyperlites. you need a wheelbarrow nowadays.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:26 am

lol one saying i live by when fishing is keep it simple..... the day i need a wheelbarrow is the day i pack in for good
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 am

well when you look at what you take for bait fishing, 4 rods, spare rod,pod,alarms,rigs,leads,bait,net ect. thats before you think of lures.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 am

i do carry all that and more lol..... still dont need a barrow Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:13 am

aye but your 15yrs younger.. wait till the athritis sets in Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:44 am

lol true
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2