PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hints & Tips on Pike Fishing

+20
The Otter
Bazz
stubbo
esoxjeff
Alex Makk
dave78
stephen abbott
megsta
BradfordLad
noodle
Marty Mac
adie1200
robh107
Steve French
grahambrooke
tootall
kell
patch
greg
nightwatchman
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hints & Tips on Pike Fishing - Page 2 Empty Re: Hints & Tips on Pike Fishing

Post  BradfordLad Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:27 am

tootall wrote:Be motivated.

Some of my best fish have come from very short sessions - an hour here or there at a local water can get you some excellent results if you know the fish are in there - the number of times i've nearly not bothered because time was short are too many to mention - but nearly always productive Cool

Always have a made up rod and landing net ready to go in the back of the car for those moments Wink

Top tip that Very Happy
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  megsta Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:37 am

This book is a good read - offers plenty of advice, and some good stories:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pike-Fishing-Practice-Mick-Brown/dp/1852237317

megsta

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 am

I've got that book its Good Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen abbott Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:48 am

lend it us adie

stephen abbott

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:02 am

UPDATED:

1. Use paper clips as a weak link for connecting your leads.
2. Use any left over bait from your fishing trips to make chum. Chop up and freeze for next time then mix with groundbait.
3. Blast frozen Sardines are cheaper at Sainsburys (£2 for a bag) Found in the freezer section.
4. When reeling in your deadbait to recast; don't do this quickly. Sink and draw on the retrieve. You might get a take!
5. Some baits can be refrozen and used time and time again. e.g. lamprey.
6. To enhance your bait; pour 'Predator Plus' onto the bait and pop it in freezer; the additive will then be drawn into the bait.
7. When deadbaiting for pike ALWAYS try and keep resistance to an absolute minimum; e.g. open bail arms & light clips.
8.Try pushing a alka seltzer tablet down the throat of your deadbait before casting, to create a visual attraction.
9. Short sessions can be just as productive; so have some tackle at the ready for spur of the moment trips
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:06 am

One from me.................

I ALWAYS make up my landing net BEFORE my first cast.
I've lost count of the number of times I've had an instantaneous run on my 1st cast and glad I've had my net ready. cheers
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:09 am

UPDATED:

2. Use any left over bait from your fishing trips to make chum. Chop up and freeze for next time then mix with groundbait.
3. Blast frozen Sardines are cheaper at Sainsburys (£2 for a bag) Found in the freezer section.
4. When reeling in your deadbait to recast; don't do this quickly. Sink and draw on the retrieve. You might get a take!
6. To enhance your bait; pour 'Predator Plus' onto the bait and pop it in freezer; the additive will then be drawn into the bait.
7. When deadbaiting for pike ALWAYS try and keep resistance to an absolute minimum; e.g. open bail arms & light clips.
8.Try pushing a alka seltzer tablet down the throat of your deadbait before casting, to create a visual attraction.
9. Short sessions can be just as productive; so have some tackle at the ready for spur of the moment trips.
10. Always make up your landing net before your 1st cast; Just in case you get an immediate run.
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  dave78 Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:24 pm

use 'fox casting clips' when ledgering a large, heavy bait at distance, these take all the weight from your hooks and allow bait to be softly hooked, allowing trebles to come clean from the bait upon striking, thus improving your chances of hooking
dave78
dave78

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:37 pm

dave78 wrote:use 'fox casting clips' when ledgering a large, heavy bait at distance, these take all the weight from your hooks and allow bait to be softly hooked, allowing trebles to come clean from the bait upon striking, thus improving your chances of hooking

Dave,

I haven't come across these before how do you actually use them? Rolling Eyes
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 pm

dave78 wrote:use 'fox casting clips' when ledgering a large, heavy bait at distance, these take all the weight from your hooks and allow bait to be softly hooked, allowing trebles to come clean from the bait upon striking, thus improving your chances of hooking

got some in my box, had them for months. never used them yet. but thay have potential Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:02 pm

I've heard stabbing a few small holes in a lamprey is a good thing(helps with oozing the goo/blood........ don't know about other baits though
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Mac Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 pm

I think Dave is referring to dead bait casting clips. I've seen them on the Fox Pike fishing DVD with Matt Hayes and Max Cottis. Cant remember how to use them but I remember being impressed. I'd need to watch the DVD again.

This is the link to buy some.

http://www.climaxtackle.com/fox_predator/links_swivels.htm
Marty Mac
Marty Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Mac Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:09 pm

When popping up a dead bait keep the length of line on the bomb link longer than the trace to prevent tangles.
Marty Mac
Marty Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  dave78 Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:32 pm

nightwatchman wrote:

Dave,

I haven't come across these before how do you actually use them? Rolling Eyes

they are very simple, they fix to the swivel of your trace by a clip, this leaves a small hook like attachment, you then use a loop of line shorter than your trace, loop it around your baits tail and fit it to the casting clip, all the weight is then with your bait and not on your trebles, they clip then releases the line on impact and you tighten down as normal....... simples Very Happy
dave78
dave78

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Nice one Dave! Cool
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 pm

UPDATED:

3. Blast frozen Sardines are cheaper at supermarkets like Sainsburys (£2 for a bag) Found in the freezer section.

9. Short sessions can be just as productive; so have some tackle at the ready for spur of the moment trips.

10. Always make up your landing net before your 1st cast; Just in case you get an immediate run.

11. Try 'fox casting clips' when casting heavy bait. They take the weight off your hooks and allow bait to be softly hooked.

12. When popping up a dead bait keep the length of line on the bomb link longer than the trace to prevent tangles.

13. Don’t forget to stab a few small holes in a lamprey to get those juices flowing!

nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  dave78 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm

always carry a hook sharpener or file to sharpen trebles and lures , don't wait for a run/take only to loose it to blunt hooks
dave78
dave78

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

UPDATED:

3. Blast frozen Sardines are cheaper at supermarkets like Sainsburys (£2 for a bag) Found in the freezer section.

11. Try 'fox casting clips' when casting heavy bait. They take the weight off your hooks and allow bait to be softly hooked.

12. When popping up a dead bait keep the length of line on the bomb link longer than the trace to prevent tangles.

13. Don’t forget to stab a few small holes in a lamprey to get those juices flowing!

14. Always carry a hook sharpener to keep those lure hooks ultra sharp. They can take a hammering on some venues.

nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  patch Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:41 pm

any more lads pirat
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 pm

get a ps3 with modern warfare on and do not start piking in the first place Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  patch Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

kell wrote:get a ps3 with modern warfare on and do not start piking in the first place Very Happy

lol!
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm

kell wrote:get a ps3 with modern warfare on and do not start piking in the first place Very Happy

me and brothe has COD6.........(MW2) we are both level 106 passed our first prestige last week...........I'll beat ya all with a javlin missile and vector sub machine gun
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Just been messing with leads and paper clips.............If you haven't got the weight indicated on the lead....try using different coloured paper clips on a specific weight of lead....e.g. Red -2.5oz blue -3oz green -3.5oz etc
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 pm

MrMakk wrote:Just been messing with leads and paper clips.............If you haven't got the weight indicated on the lead....try using different coloured paper clips on a specific weight of lead....e.g. Red -2.5oz blue -3oz green -3.5oz etc

Great idea Smile
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:58 pm

UPDATED: 03/02/10

1. Use any left over bait from your fishing trips to make chum. Chop up and freeze for next time then mix with groundbait.

2. Blast frozen Sardines are cheaper at supermarkets like Sainsburys (£2 for a bag) Found in the freezer section.

3. When reeling in your deadbait to recast; don't do this quickly. Sink and draw on the retrieve. You might get a take!

4. Some baits can be refrozen and used time and time again. e.g. lamprey.

5. To enhance your bait; pour 'Predator Plus' onto the bait and pop it in freezer; the additive will then be drawn into the bait.

6. When deadbaiting for pike ALWAYS try and keep resistance to an absolute minimum; e.g. open bail arms & light clips.

7.Try pushing a alka seltzer tablet down the throat of your deadbait before casting, to create a visual attraction.

8. Short sessions can be just as productive; so have some tackle at the ready for spur of the moment trips.

9. Always make up your landing net before your 1st cast; Just in case you get an immediate run.

10. Try 'fox casting clips' when casting heavy bait. They take the weight off your hooks and allow bait to be softly hooked.

11. When popping up a dead bait keep the length of line on the bomb link longer than the trace to prevent tangles.

12. Don’t forget to stab a few small holes in a lamprey to get those juices flowing!

13. Use paper clips as a weak link for connecting your leads.

14. If you haven't got the weight indicated on your leads, try using different coloured paper clips on a specific weight of lead, e.g: Red = 2.5oz blue = 3oz green = 3.5oz etc

nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next