PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox drop off indicator set up

+8
kell
esoxjeff
Marty Mac
deadbait
nightwatchman
adie1200
robh107
Lefty
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fox drop off indicator set up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fox drop off indicator set up

Post  Alex Makk Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:29 pm

I forgot to mention,
When I was fishing yesterday, I had used my pike swinger on one of the rods. And to be honest i cannot find any difference between the pike and carp versions(except one is on the rear bankstick and the other screwed on under the alarm at the front) i might keep using them for future carping, and dead-baiting. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Alex,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 pm

yeah alex theres not a great deal of difference... i'm going to be using my drop arms mounted front end under an alarm when i eventually manage a nights carping this summer
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 pm

robh107 wrote:yeah alex theres not a great deal of difference... i'm going to be using my drop arms mounted front end under an alarm when i eventually manage a nights carping this summer
There was something i read up ages ago, this bloke tells that he uses them all the time for carp,pike,bram and even eels, because they are that good for helping indecation.
Have you tried your customised alarms for carping? (the fox micron P's)?
Very Happy Very Happy
Alex,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:14 pm

MrMakk wrote:
robh107 wrote:yeah alex theres not a great deal of difference... i'm going to be using my drop arms mounted front end under an alarm when i eventually manage a nights carping this summer
There was something i read up ages ago, this bloke tells that he uses them all the time for carp,pike,bram and even eels, because they are that good for helping indecation.
Have you tried your customised alarms for carping? (the fox micron P's)?
Very Happy Very Happy
Alex,

i havent tbh mate... they would definitely have to be set up and fished in the same way as when pike fishing (rear mounted) but i feel that they wouldnt work as well when carping with baitrunners. i think i'll stick to a front end alarm and swinger/hanger for that specific purpose Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:10 pm

why rob?its all about indication?if you get better indication on front why not do that all time?at the end of day a fish,any fish takes line forward,moves back but your alarm sounds?so which is best?my moneys on a front one,but the best for me is a float Very Happy theres more money spent on produeing better carp alarms than pike alarms?am i wrong?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 pm

do you fish baitrunner for pike or open bail arm?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 pm

for me its a little more complicated than just using any alarm mate...
i prefer my drop off alarms for piking because as soon as the alarm sounds i know that the line has pulled out of the clip and i most probably have a run developing and need to get to my rod either to hit the run or re-engage the drop off if it was just a liner, also i dont like the idea of a deep hooked pike caused by me not hearing the run due to line skip over a front end alarm with slack line..... either way when the alarm sounds the rod has my utmost attention (in answer to your other question i fish open bale arms when piking btw)......
whereas when i'm carping i use the baitrunner on my reels with swinger/front end alarm, i find this to be more effective in this instance because with the baitrunner engaged the line wont skip over the alarm without it sounding, any heavy liners may result in a bleep or 2 but until i get a solid run or at least an intermittent one (normally caused by big roach/tench/bream), or dropback there is no need to disturb the swim by winding in and re-casting, resulting in more fish banked.
basically the main difference for me is that any disturbance to a pike bait deserves attention so i dont deep hook a pike, whereas when carping with bolt rigs etc i can use the front end alarm to tell the difference between a run and a liner
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 pm

nickcarpy wrote:why rob?its all about indication?if you get better indication on front why not do that all time?at the end of day a fish,any fish takes line forward,moves back but your alarm sounds?so which is best?my moneys on a front one,but the best for me is a float Very Happy theres more money spent on produeing better carp alarms than pike alarms?am i wrong?

the main reason for more cash being spent on creating "better" carp alarms is to catch the tackle tarts with wads of cash, i use micron m's which cost me £20 each 10 years ago and they indicate every movement just fine with the baitrunner engaged but with open bale arms when piking the line skips over without a sound most of the time.... dedicated pike alarms are probably cheaper and less developed because theres not much improvement to be made on the original ghetto blaster type drop off, and they're less intricate/cheaper to produce than carp/front end alarms with alot of adjustable bits/features built into them.
i agree about the float though... truly the best indicator of all Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2