PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Water blank session

3 posters

Go down

Top Water blank session Empty Top Water blank session

Post  JAYZEE28 Sun May 23, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Guys,

Had a morning and evening session on the local reservoir on friday. Got there about half 6 in the morning but it was already very bright and warm, worked one half of the lake had a small jack slash at my plug just as I was lifting it out to recast. It soon became very hot and I decided to return in the evening.
Got back at 7, with the water looking like a mirror I decided to try some of my surface lures. After about 2 hours with no luck I was beginning to get a bit frustrated and rather than fish to features I blasted my chug bug straight out into the open water, as soon as I began the retrieve a fish hammered the lure, comming completely out of the water! It looked to be a good fish and I was connected to it for all of 5 seconds before all went slack and the fish was away Crying or Very sad . After a bit more casting to the open water I tried a cast along a reed bed this time another fish came flying out of the water but completely missed the lure Crying or Very sad . This one was not as big as the other fish but I would guess it may have touched double figures. So that was it as it was getting dark, a very frustrating session but heart in the mouth stuff on the surface. I will definitely be returning very soon. I have had quite a few fish miss the lure when fishing on the surface this year, has anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

Regards
J
JAYZEE28
JAYZEE28

Back to top Go down

Top Water blank session Empty Re: Top Water blank session

Post  tootall Sun May 23, 2010 10:59 am

I don't wanna sound like i am preaching, so forgive me if you know this, but when surface fishing always allow the pike to turn and swim a little after the lure has been taken, it results in far more hook-ups than striking instantly. It's actually quite hard to do, as your natural instinct to strike when a pike takes one off the top is quite hard to overcome Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  JAYZEE28 Sun May 23, 2010 11:40 am

Actually I did not realise that so thanks very much for the advice, as you say whether I'll be able to hold my nerve is another matter its difficult not get over excited with such aggressive takes. I have not really done much surface fishing for pike but have had a few bass on poppers and they just hit the lure and their on. I am at a loss as to how the fish I connected with came off, as it hit the lure so hard I would have thought it would have been well hooked. Anyway I'll know for next time.

Best Wishes
J
JAYZEE28
JAYZEE28

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Hiya Jay, yes my friend I have had the same problem 5-6 times, only difrence is the strikes have come when just lifting the lure out wen using diving lures even spinners, always seems to happen on the rise, i was thinking of putting a trailing treble off the tail or extending the rear treble a couple of inches i'm a bit skeptical about this concerning foul hooking , it is hard not to strike when you see that first initial take, especially if uv been roaming for a couple of hours....

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down