PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MONSTER UK PIKE?

+7
applehead
tootall
Scott Davidson
robh107
Lefty
noodle
Pikey_Mike
11 posters

Go down

MONSTER UK PIKE? Empty MONSTER UK PIKE?

Post  Pikey_Mike Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 am

Ok, the thought is, proper monster Pike in the UK. 50-60lb?
Is it possible? the vast expanses of water we ave infront of us, loch's an resi's and such.....is a UK 50+ out there? And where, if you think so?

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

MONSTER UK PIKE? Empty Re: MONSTER UK PIKE?

Post  Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:07 am

Pikey_Mike wrote:Ok, the thought is, proper monster Pike in the UK. 50-60lb?
Is it possible? the vast expanses of water we ave infront of us, loch's an resi's and such.....is a UK 50+ out there? And where, if you think so?

Let me know if you find out!!

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:35 am

only chance is in an unfished trout water

if a pike of that size was in a water that gets fished it would be caught lets face it pike are not the hardest fish to catch the hard part is finding decent ones in the 1st place
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 am

I would like to think that somewhere out there, there is an old pike living out it's existance in a deep, cold glacial lake that is so large some parts of it rarely (if ever) get fished. There is a plentiful supply of silverfish, trout etc. that she could feed on and become large enough to trigger off reports of a new 'nessie'.

That may just be daydreaming on my part but, has anybody else seen the reports of something lurking in Windemere? Could it be that such a creature is living in there or is it just a very large reclusive fish? We all know how stories get bigger and wilder each time they are passed on between people. What started off as a potentially record breaking fish becomes a 20 metre long leviathon lurking in the depths.

I would love to see evidence of a new record sized pike but on the other hand would hate for it to become public knowledge. We all know what would happen don't we? Poor creature will be hunted to death by every trophy hunting numpty out there that believes they are a pike angler when in all honesty they are probably just somebody who has dabbled a little and wants their 5 minutes of fame and glory. It's happened too many times for my liking and not just to pike.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:55 pm

there are waters throughout the uk that i think have the potential to produce such a fish as a 50lb pike.
the problem is if that fish happens to be territorial (likes to hang round one spot picking off prey) then there arises the issue of locating not only the lake that contains the fish, but also the place in the lake that the fish calls home and then tempting it to take what we offer.
i know from personal experience that some pike just dont get caught for years then all of a sudden turn up again (a 30lber in one of the local lakes here wasnt seen for 3 years, presumed dead then turned up in my uncles net after taking a ledgered sardine).
also a couple of years ago i started fishing another local lake that produces alot of jacks and the odd low twenty with pretty much nothing in the 10-18lb bracket coming out at all, i always looked at this lake and thought it had the potential to produce something substantial. one day i ledgered deadbaits in a spot that was new to me on this lake and only had one run, so i wound down to the fish and lifted the rod.... the rod hooped over double and for the next 5 or so minutes i was attached to a pike that just would not move under the force of a 2 3/4lb t.c. rod and just used its own weight to kite to my right, after 5 mins the fish came off and i was gutted, i've NEVER felt a pike that heavy (and i've had them to a shade over 37lb) and if i had the opportunity i'd have another go for that fish but since then the lake has been decimated by seals and not even a 40+ would be safe from them.
so the chances are that maybe there is a 50lber out there somewhere, and just like the fish i've described above she just hasnt been caught YET.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Davidson Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 pm

a genuine 50lber surely must be on the cards....sometime!

Scott Davidson

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:07 am

there is always a chance in some waters i think. there are some places that very rarely get fished seriously for pike. any one of these could do a monster IMO. you would have to be seriously dedicated if not slightly insane if you were to have a proper crack at it tho.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  applehead Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:13 pm

You were probably playing a seal Rob Very Happy
applehead
applehead

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:27 pm

lol applehead it was literally months before the seals had made it to the place so i doubt it..... cant discount the possibility though lmao
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

MONSTER UK PIKE? Empty scared

Post  bigfish Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 pm

the thought of catching a fish that big scares me sh****ss

Last edited by MAD BAD ANGLER on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : swearing)

bigfish

Back to top Go down

MONSTER UK PIKE? Empty 50lb pike

Post  stubbo Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm

its on wall mate it took some stuffing too.......... What a Face What a Face What a Face
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm

On this subject, Pike of such size have been caught in Germany, even to 67 lb's! while it was netted it still proves that the species can reach such a size.

If it can happen in Germany, what's to say it can't here?

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:On this subject, Pike of such size have been caught in Germany, even to 67 lb's! while it was netted it still proves that the species can reach such a size.

If it can happen in Germany, what's to say it can't here?
dont forget these big commercial fisherys they can turn out some surprises i now one with a big fish in there and i dont think they know is in there i will just let it get bigger and bigger then maybe have a go at it Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Do you need a guilly stubbo haha
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:02 pm

noodle wrote:only chance is in an unfished trout water

if a pike of that size was in a water that gets fished it would be caught lets face it pike are not the hardest fish to catch the hard part is finding decent ones in the 1st place

I have to agree.

14 of the 15 biggest pike caught from UK waters are from trout waters, 4-5 of which (I think off the top off me barnet) are from Llandegfedd alone.

That's an awful lot of fish approaching 50lbs, mostly taken from trout ressies.

I still think places like Awe have the potential to produce some absolutely frightening fish though. When you see how big the ferox trout in Awe get and the sizes of the 1lb+ roach shoals and then consider the sheer size of the place....how could it not? It's covering it though. That's the problem.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down