PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best way to hook live baits........

+3
noodle
Grizzly
newie2010
7 posters

Go down

Best way to hook live baits........ Empty Best way to hook live baits........

Post  newie2010 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 am

guys, just a little help on the following topic.

im looking for the best way to hook live baits (4-6" silvers) to get them free movement and live a little longer before nailed.

i hook them as follows and use snap tackle (2 x trebles)

1 hook in the top lip and another hook in the dorsal

if i use small lives 3" for example i use a single treble hook and hook in the top lip...

if theres any advances on the above, please let me know. Anything to improve Very Happy
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Best way to hook live baits........ Empty Re: Best way to hook live baits........

Post  Grizzly Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 am

I used to hook mine just under the dorsal and never had any problems. It works whether using a single hook or single treble.

If it was a really small fish I'd hook it through the lip.
Grizzly
Grizzly

http://www.mdpestservices.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Best way to hook live baits........ Empty Re: Best way to hook live baits........

Post  newie2010 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

Grizzly wrote:I used to hook mine just under the dorsal and never had any problems. It works whether using a single hook or treble.

so you hook your lives by only use either 1 single hook or 1 treble hook rather than snap snap?
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 am

Yes mate, never had any problems and the bait has full movement.
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:39 am

Grizzly wrote:Yes mate, never had any problems and the bait has full movement.

that is fine, now what about casting this 4-6" live upto about 50yrds?
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 am

Tie it on with a piece of pva string or tape and job's sorted. It only needs to hold it for the cast, which it should do. As soon as it hits the water the pva melts and all's good.
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:56 am

Grizzly wrote:Tie it on with a piece of pva string or tape and job's sorted. It only needs to hold it for the cast, which it should do. As soon as it hits the water the pva melts and all's good.

yea i know about the PVA due to being a carp angler, but as your using 1 single treble hook either hooked in the lip or the dorsal, i cant quiet see where im tying it and what to????
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 am

Put the string through the eye of the hook then wrap it round the fish and tie off. It should keep everything in place for the cast Very Happy
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:00 am

Grizzly wrote:Put the string through the eye of the hook then wrap it round the fish and tie off. It should keep everything in place for the cast Very Happy

nice... will try that one mate, cheers... cheers cheers
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 am

No worries mate Wink
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 pm

tail and dorsal for me used to hook em up around the head pectoral area but a spate of big perch wolfing baits put me off that for fish in that size range
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:15 pm

noodle wrote:tail and dorsal for me used to hook em up around the head pectoral area but a spate of big perch wolfing baits put me off that for fish in that size range

wouldnt that hinder the tail movements more rather than throught the top lip and dorsal?
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm

newie2010 wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Yes mate, never had any problems and the bait has full movement.

that is fine, now what about casting this 4-6" live upto about 50yrds?

i use a small bit of elasticband over the barb if you get them off the post man there red Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 pm

newie2010 wrote:
noodle wrote:tail and dorsal for me used to hook em up around the head pectoral area but a spate of big perch wolfing baits put me off that for fish in that size range

wouldnt that hinder the tail movements more rather than throught the top lip and dorsal?

i think this way a more erratic bait that is less likely to kill any accidental perch i pick up

win every way dont get me wrong for bigger baits then im back in the pec area and smaller baits see me tail hooking with singles
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Why would you want to cast a live bait so far, You could kill it when it splashes down, On big waters i tend to hook my live baits dorsal and tail, Then throw them about 2 rod lengths out, They will swim well out from there, Works for me,
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 am

paddy pike wrote:Why would you want to cast a live bait so far, You could kill it when it splashes down, On big waters i tend to hook my live baits dorsal and tail, Then throw them about 2 rod lengths out, They will swim well out from there, Works for me,

the far bank mate is about 50yrds, and its totally tree/reed lined from one end to the other, i put my deads out there, but would like a live bait there, im hunting for the bigger girls thats why.....
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm

spot on paddy lives close in dead far out ....... close in would be upto 25 yards good point paddy Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 am

fair comments guys didnt think of it that way... Laughing
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm

fishing a far bank at 50 yards with livies is perfectly feasable

drifter if the wind is right
free roamer using the right float
winch rig

noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 am

i've never managed to kill a livebait by casting it 50 yards, i mean sure its been stunned from water impact and wouldnt move for the first minute or so but once it recovers its fine.
as for hooking? 2 trebles, one in the dorsal and the other through the root of the pectoral fin works every time for me no matter what size of bait i'm using Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum