PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big fight small fish

5 posters

Go down

Big fight small fish Empty Big fight small fish

Post  DAN27 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am

Ok so something I've been meaning to ask these past few weeks but has anyone had a monster fight from a really small fish?

I hooked into a fish a few weeks past and it fought like a beast. It was pretty heavy and stripped loads of line off the reel but when it came in it weighed just 11lb! I know not a tiny fish but slightly disappointed.

We often think we miss big fish when they come off but are they always the monster that got away?? Do scottish pike fight harder than those south of the border?

As an aside I did a bit of trout fishing on Monday and caught a few, the biggest being 2lb. I was fishing with a lighweight 8ft spinning rod and I could hardly tell that they were on when reeling them in! As soon as they knew that they were hooked they just gave up.

They will never replace my first love of hard fighting pike.

Dan
DAN27
DAN27

Back to top Go down

Big fight small fish Empty Re: Big fight small fish

Post  newie2010 Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:06 am

imo the bigger pike plod and dont really fight..

the smaller jacks ive hooked go frigging nuts, the same as carp as well.

brilliant fun
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:32 am

The Shannon Pike are the best I have experienced, I guess living on such a demanding water makes them strong, even the Jacks give you a run for the money Very Happy

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:01 pm

its the same with river pike they dont half fight even the small ones..... Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 pm

DAN27 wrote:Ok so something I've been meaning to ask these past few weeks but has anyone had a monster fight from a really small fish?

I hooked into a fish a few weeks past and it fought like a beast. It was pretty heavy and stripped loads of line off the reel but when it came in it weighed just 11lb! I know not a tiny fish but slightly disappointed.

We often think we miss big fish when they come off but are they always the monster that got away?? Do scottish pike fight harder than those south of the border?

As an aside I did a bit of trout fishing on Monday and caught a few, the biggest being 2lb. I was fishing with a lighweight 8ft spinning rod and I could hardly tell that they were on when reeling them in! As soon as they knew that they were hooked they just gave up.

They will never replace my first love of hard fighting pike. dan you mentioned fly fishing for trout have you tried fly fishing for pike......... its awsome mate affraid

Dan
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:38 pm

sorry mate you said you were spinning i need specs Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:00 pm

nice pike dan. have you got your shifts sorted out yet for a weekend.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  DAN27 Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Hey Greg,

Yeah I've been off this week but have family duties this weekend so the bank will have to wait! Do you have big plans? Is the the action hotting up for you?

Stubbo I'm actually horrible at fly fishing(only tried once!) so I was bait fishing with my 8 year old with the 8ft lightweight spinning rod in the hope of a decent scrap.

I think if I improve with the fly rod then I will have a go for the pike with it. For a start the fly must be easier to cast as it heavier!!!

DAN27
DAN27

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:29 pm

doin ok dan, just pike up to 10lb good fun. takin the boat out the water week come saterday. so anytime after that for bank fishing.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum