PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish Care - am I really being kind?

+2
adie1200
Tidyfish
6 posters

Go down

Fish Care - am I really being kind? Empty Fish Care - am I really being kind?

Post  Tidyfish Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:38 pm

I picked this up from a locked thread further down - thanks Andy W for making me think.

"An inexperienced angler could do a lot of harm to gills with a glove. But we shouldn't discourage all newbies. After all we have all been there. The aim should be to learn more pike friendly techniques over time."

I'm not a newbie as such - but I've been out of the game for nigh on 20 years. I was brought up properly to look after the fish before it went back - my Dad was a stickler. He always used a leather glove though, and consequently I did the same - only on one hand, gently in the gills (whilst the fish is on the floor - so no weight it brought to bear) to keep the mouth open whilst using the forceps to remove the hook.

I'm starting back on Tuesday and, unless anyone shows me the error of my ways, if I'm lucky enough to get one I'll be back to the old ways. Having had a few cuts myself I'd be nervous going in without some protection.

Tidyfish

Back to top Go down

Fish Care - am I really being kind? Empty Re: Fish Care - am I really being kind?

Post  Tidyfish Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Crikey - glad I looked - just found this on another site.

"NB: At this point it is worth commenting on the wearing of a glove to unhook pike, often recommended by pike angling writers, please make every effort to handle your pike without a glove. You are likely to do more damage (unknown) by the gill rakers snagging on the glove and being damaged by the angler trying to unsnag his glove than will ever be done to yourself by not wearing a glove. The abrasions you will sometimes get on the back of your fingers by putting your hands into the gill cover on any pike, are the warning that you are not holding the pike correctly. You are not at risk from the teeth unless you put your hand into the pikes mouth!"

Link

Looks like I'll be going in unprotected after all. I'll pack the elastoplast to cover for early cockups.

Tidyfish

Back to top Go down

Fish Care - am I really being kind? Empty Re: Fish Care - am I really being kind?

Post  adie1200 Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Just take it steady mate and feel your way in slowly Wink
You will soon get used to it Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:40 pm

I think it's something that everyone was wary of when they first started. It's like a fear of the unknown but you soon get used to it. Like Adie said
Just take it steady mate and feel your way in slowly
Grizzly
Grizzly

http://www.mdpestservices.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 pm

Grizzly wrote:I think it's something that everyone was wary of when they first started. It's like a fear of the unknown but you soon get used to it. Like Adie said
Just take it steady mate and feel your way in slowly
The metal gloves are a strange thing to use, I have never used them personaly but i know a few guys that have, And one or two that still do, John Wilson for example uses one, And advertises the fact in his vidio's, I would say the advice you have been given is the best way ahead, You will get a touch of gill rash, "Scratches to the fingers", But its all in the learning, The gloves have been known to brake the gill rakers, And this can starve the Fish of oxygen
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:33 pm

paddy pike wrote:John Wilson for example uses one, And advertises the fact in his vidio's

I'm not a fan of John Wilson, never really have liked him for some reason scratch
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  Tidyfish Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Cheers all - Metal Gloves!! Shocked Definitely not - a simple gentleman's leather glove was my Dad's method of choice. Even that sounds barbaric having done some reading over the last couple of days.

Tidyfish

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Grizzly wrote:
paddy pike wrote:John Wilson for example uses one, And advertises the fact in his vidio's

I'm not a fan of John Wilson, never really have liked him for some reason scratch
its that laugh mate he does Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  NIDGE MAC Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:22 pm

not in favour of the glove myself,
although on a cold and frosty day i handle the pike without taking off my thermal gloves,
Its a matter of building confidence then it comes as second nature....
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:26 pm

NIDGE MAC wrote:not in favour of the glove myself,
although on a cold and frosty day i handle the pike without taking off my thermal gloves,

Couldn't agree more. You're bound to be wary at first, you just need to be carefull and confident. Confidence is the real key here, if your not confident you're more likely to hurt both yourself and the fish. I know it will be a little daunting at first but you'll soon get used to it and it will become second nature. You'll be chinning pike left, right, and centre before you know it!! Very Happy
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

the problem with a glove is you cant feel the damage your doing on the gills mate Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  NIDGE MAC Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:53 pm

stubbo wrote:
the problem with a glove is you cant feel the damage your doing on the gills mate Very Happy

scratch
Not once have i had any damage to a pike,while wearing my thermal golves in the colder months and handling them,
i,m not saying it could,nt happen mate, its just never happened to me..
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm

yes mate i think the metal type of glove are the least sensitive you would have some feeling through a thermal type Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 pm

stubbo wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

its that laugh mate he does Very Happy
Thank god for that, I thought it was just me that though his laugh was annoying,
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

dont get me wrong he is a good all rounder but that laugh does me in ...... Mad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down