PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea fishing tactics for pike

4 posters

Go down

Sea fishing tactics for pike Empty Sea fishing tactics for pike

Post  Andi Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi all

I've managed to buy about 100 sprats of about 3" each for £1.00 of the fish counter at closing time.

We've never really deadbaited but I have sufficient traces suitable and my sea floats.

My question is, has anyone used 2 small chunks of fish / small sprats one on each hook of a trace before?

I've done it for bass/ flatties on the coast and know it's quite successful, I think this method will be productive but I'm
Worried about the trailing treble, has anyone done the same?
Andi
Andi

Back to top Go down

Sea fishing tactics for pike Empty Re: Sea fishing tactics for pike

Post  tootall Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Andi wrote:Hi all

I've managed to buy about 100 sprats of about 3" each for £1.00 of the fish counter at closing time.

We've never really deadbaited but I have sufficient traces suitable and my sea floats.

My question is, has anyone used 2 small chunks of fish / small sprats one on each hook of a trace before?

I've done it for bass/ flatties on the coast and know it's quite successful, I think this method will be productive but I'm
Worried about the trailing treble, has anyone done the same?

affraid affraid cheers

wow - great buy!

I use sprats a fair bit for trotting for pike. I like to either put 1 onto a size 1 single (hooked up thru the bottom of the mouth and out of the top of the head) or a tip i heard recently was to use a single trebble trace and put 2 sprats (or small roach/dace/bleak etc) onto two of the points of the trebble (again thru the head as before).
This way, if you are trottin them down in the flow and you hold them back, they tend to look far more inticing than just a single one.... Cool

Personally I wouldn't advise using a double hook trace with one sprat on each hook as I have seen people do this and the trailing trebble has punctured the eyeballs of the pike...not good No
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:13 pm

my mate does it all the time sprats on each hook he said it looks like a shoal of roach and he catches fish sometimes he has caught and the rest of us blanked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Sprats are underused! saw my first 20+ fall to a sprat.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum