PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any advice on abrasion resistant lines?

5 posters

Go down

Any advice on abrasion resistant lines? Empty Any advice on abrasion resistant lines?

Post  Richard Neath Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:28 pm

I fished a water recently and was cut off on 3 occasions on rocks close in. I HATE loosing fish like that but told myself that at least they were struck early, I was using barbless trebles and that the other fish I'd landed were all very lightly hooked.
I stripped my mono off (18lb) and replaced it with 40lb braid to try and help the situation but still got cut off twice more. In the end, I had to put my chest waders on and march out into waist deep water to get close to the edge before I actually struck any more runs. I made sure I was picking up the rod and in the water at the first indication. I didn't lose a fish after that.
The rocks are horrendous though - any presuure on the line and it's like someone's touched it with a razor blade. Anyone got any experience in specific makes that are particularly resistant?
I don't really want to go to 60lb nylon if I can help it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
(EDIT - I lost 3 fish in total. 1 initially then twice more after switching lines, then sorted the initial problem by wading out straight away. Sorry, it was unclear how I wrote it above. See response below).

Last edited by Richard Neath on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Initial explanation was unclear.)
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

http://www.richardneath.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Any advice on abrasion resistant lines? Empty Re: Any advice on abrasion resistant lines?

Post  Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Richard,

You could try to fish the spot from another angle if possible ,or don't fish that spot at all, anyone can lose the very occasional fish by a line breakage but 5 on the trot is un-acceptable.

Sorry to sound so blunt and I know I'm new here but thats potentially 5 dead Pike.

There is probably other things to do like useing a very long uptrace or a really heavy duty leader but how many more Pike will die while working out whats best?

Is there a chance that you could move along a few swims and fish behind the rocks, with out your line going over them?

Sorry if this comes accross as rude, I don't mean to be.

Andrew.

Back to top Go down

Any advice on abrasion resistant lines? Empty No Worries!

Post  Richard Neath Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Not a problem Andrew - I actually agree with your thinking entirely. I can see why you thought it was 5 - sorry, I explained it badly. It was actually 3 cut offs: I switched line after the first time then during the course of the session it happened twice more, though I did manage to land a few fish in between wothout incident. I did solve the initial problem, finally, as I said, by wading out straight away at the first sign of a twitch and didn't lose a fish after that.

I'm confident that I can stop fish cutting me off on the rocks in front of the swim however this won't solve the problem of my line running over a lone boulder sticking up in that or any other swim on the loch.

More than anything, it would be good to have something that would give me a little confidence back - at least to know that my line isn't going to part like a hot knife through butter at the mere touch of a rock.

If I didn't think I'd solved the problem at least to an acceptable level by wading straight out, I wouldn't fish the spot again. But, if I'm not confident that my line's going to stand up to at least the odd scrape, I don't think I could fish the loch again, full-stop.

And, to be frank, it's too beautiful, wild, stunning a place and the pike are far too fantastic to do that.

Richard.
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

Back to top Go down

Any advice on abrasion resistant lines? Empty Re: Any advice on abrasion resistant lines?

Post  Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Richard,

You could continue the wading out routine and employ a long-ish heavy mono leader? Just to be on the safe side. Sorry I mis-read your post about the number of fish lost, my mistake.

Sounds like a lovely water you fish there mate.

Andrew.

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Mac Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 pm

You could try a sunken float patenoster to keep your line up off the bottom

Click Here

It should prevent the line cutting on the rocks
Marty Mac
Marty Mac

Back to top Go down

Any advice on abrasion resistant lines? Empty Sunken float rig.

Post  Richard Neath Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks Marty. I had a similar idea of using pitot floats (like in the olden days!) running free on the line and both methods will keep the line free of the rocks whilst the rig is fishing. I also, as I nodded off to sleep last night, thought of actually putting the rods on high rests, in the loch as there is a soft patch about 5 yards out which would also help.
The problem comes as soon as I've wound down, struck and am into a fish. Unless I'm standing out in the water, there are going to be losses, which I don't want.
I think I'm going to have to use either the sunk float/pilot float idea along with a 60lb, 10m rubbing leader and keep wading out to play the fish. I suppose I was hoping that someone would answer the post and tell me of some abrasion resistant wonder line!
And Andy - yes you're right, it is lovely water. Bleak, inhospitable, uncomfortable, wild and probably pretty dangerous really, but absolutely magnificent nonetheless (and I don't really know it yet).
All the best,
Richard.
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

I can't really add to what people have already said apart from that this line in the link is brilliant for resisting snags etc. Certainly the best i've found
yet. It's also cheap as chips. Only thing i have found is that it needs a good pre-streach before first use. (tie it to a fencepost or something similar and walk back with the spool on a tight drag) apart from that its brilliant.

http://www.fishingwarehouseshop.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/2687
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Richard,

It could also be worth using a sunken float/ledger, the best of both worlds keeping your mainline away from the bottom but still under the surface.

The more things you can do to help eliminate cut offs the better.

Andrew.

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 pm

or better still guys fish it from a boat if possible
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:53 am

Moving to 40lb braid wasn't the right move for a start. 18lb mono will stand up to rocks better than 80lb braid.

That mistake aside (and a learning curve) you could try 15lb Daiwa Tournament mono (the yellow hi-viz stuff) for mainline. I always used it for sea-fishing and it's bloody good line and it takes a hell of a beating. I also use 40lb Amnesia shockleaders,which I'm sure will help stand up to a hell of a lot of abuse.

Funny thing is, when I said on here than float legering with braid over shelves didn't prevent break-offs, when playing fish, I got it from all angles. This is a perfect example of exactly what I was talking about.

Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down