PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resistance

+4
robh107
Eric Edwards
hurricane
welsh piker
8 posters

Go down

Resistance Empty Resistance

Post  welsh piker Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Following on from other posts.

This topic started from open bail arm..or bait runner on..
Eric, while i agree with you on free line does have a major effect on the danger of deep hooked fish, my point on resistance was on the point of open bail arm, or bait-runner on, i have found that fishing open bail arm, have resulted in better results, since using this method of fishing, ive found less droped takes.

Again, there was a message on pike being lethargic, again, this i think, is where resistance is talked about, and what tends to work for some anglers, may not work for others.
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Resistance Empty Re: Resistance

Post  hurricane Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:50 am

OK,the resistance question is very debatable,and its well worth thinking about but as far as freelined baits are concerned,it sounds like moo poo to me.
I have been freelining deadbaits for over fourty years and if you do it properly there is no more chance of deep hooking than with virtualy any other method of deadbaiting,
It"s simply a matter of getting your bite indication spot on,and you should be doing this anyway.
It makes no difference wether you use a 2in quill or a 6oz lead if everything is set up correctly and you are vigilant its not a problem.
I have listened to and tried a lot of these theories,like with a heavy lead?(3-5oz) you will never get a dropback,yes well no one told the fish.
As far as the theory that a fish can pick up a bait and move at an angle without indication,unless its right under the rod tip,no way,yes a pike COULD wolf down a bait in one gulp,but that could be on any rig.
If you believe the the hype about freelining,don"t do it.but it works fo me and I am happy with it.
hurricane
hurricane

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 am

Thats what this is about. To have a debate on the issue, to see what are anglers views on this subject..

Peter, if you've been doing that method for that amount of time, then that's what you think is best for you, then fine, i would fully endorse your method to which you fish, like you said, if your bite indication is spot on,and you fish this method propely.

Don't think im sending the wrong message out, on resistance, it's just the matter of what works for some, may not work for others..after all, everyone got their own way of fishing, and as long its done with the well being of the fish.. fine with me.. Exclamation

welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 am

WRT dropped baits, most of my fishing is done from boats and my bite indication of choice is a float (though not always). I have to say that the few dropped runs I get are ones where the float dithers a bit and then stops.
Those runs where I don't see the float, perhaps because i'm dealing with another rod, and where the fish runs off with the bait pulling line off a clicker, are never dropped.
What I'm suggesting is that it isn't resistance that causes fish to drop the bait, or even change in resistance, it's something else.

WRT freelining, well why would you want to? Floatfishing is the best form of bite indication for close to medium range work and if you leger your bait, you can tighten up easier, get the bait down quicker, combat undertow much more easily and you can cast further (oh yes you can).
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:56 am

it may on occasion be something else that causes the pike to drop the bait but as i said before going on my own experiences changes in resistance need to be minimised in order to reduce the amount of dropped runs. i accept other peoples points of view on the matter but thats my own personal view gathered after 16 years+ experience.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Ive fished freelined baits before and had some superb results without any deep hooked fish. As hurricane says, if you do it properly with right indication, its a great technique.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 pm

what???

how on earth can you get a drop back with a big lead???

there are only three scenarios for that:-

rig tangled so the line cant run through the lead
the clip is way too tight so enough force can be applied to the lead
fixed leads

if the line can pass through the runring of your choice then drop backs do not happen

and the whole ive been doing it for x amount of years doesnt cut it as an argument, gaffs were in use for how long, pike were routinely removed from waters for how long?

ok very short range fishing yes i can see it being ok but once you start casting and you rely on the bait as the weight you anchor against then bear in mind the fish is what % water, so most of the mass you rely on to cast doesnt exist as weight once its in the water, add in the fact the first point of reaction for the line movement you rely on for indication is your rod tip which could be 50-60 yards from the bait. Then you can see why free lining should be put away alongside other outdated ideas

my stance if the bait is too big to cast a four ounce lead then i will drop to three but most days now see me using fives all the time.
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:44 pm

we all dont fish in the same way and we all fish in differant styles some self styled some learnt of other anglers maybe we pick up some bad habits along the way but as progress and learn about our pike and our own methods .Lets not forget we love pike fishing and what ever method you use ........might not suit the next man if your happy with the way you fish and it catches you fish and the pike are not harmed fish the way you want to fish ......not the way they want you to fish ...hope i dont get to much risistance on this reply
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 am

easy now lets just say people have diffrent views and leave it at that. Razz
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am

stubbo wrote:we all dont fish in the same way and we all fish in differant styles some self styled some learnt of other anglers maybe we pick up some bad habits along the way but as progress and learn about our pike and our own methods .Lets not forget we love pike fishing and what ever method you use ........might not suit the next man if your happy with the way you fish and it catches you fish and the pike are not harmed fish the way you want to fish ......not the way they want you to fish ...hope i dont get to much risistance on this reply

its a shame there isnt a "like" button on here mate Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum