PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whats your favourite conditions??

+5
adamscott
Andy Macfarlane
onetoner
noodle
dave d
9 posters

Go down

whats your favourite conditions?? Empty whats your favourite conditions??

Post  dave d Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 am

over the years i have fished for pike in all weather conditions possible- but my best catches have nearly all got one thing in common - changeable weather
changeble wind
changeable temperature
intermittent light conditions i.e cloudy and sunny
showery conditions

catch rate definitely drops off when the weather is dormant for a few days

my favourite times is when it is sunny and cloudy intervals with a good wind- warm nights (winter time) are good too

would any of you like to share your experiences?

dave d

Back to top Go down

whats your favourite conditions?? Empty Re: whats your favourite conditions??

Post  noodle Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 am

dave d wrote:over the years i have fished for pike in all weather conditions possible- but my best catches have nearly all got one thing in common - changeable weather
changeble wind
changeable temperature
intermittent light conditions i.e cloudy and sunny
showery conditions

catch rate definitely drops off when the weather is dormant for a few days

my favourite times is when it is sunny and cloudy intervals with a good wind- warm nights (winter time) are good too

would any of you like to share your experiences?

best fishing for me whenever i can get out Laughing
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:49 am

conditions ?????????????????? hhhhmmm ive not really recorded such but i do know i got most of my doubles last year on the same bank in md oct at first light.......... and on another lake i got most fish between 830 and 11 thats about the only two lakes i fish that i notice specific kinda feeding times tongue
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Slight overcast, slight ripple and suitable temperatures for the area I'm fishing in.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:57 pm

A nice steady west / southwest breeze that puts a good ripple on the water. Dull and overcast (even light rain).
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 pm

westerly/southwesterly wind (ideally around 10mph) with brightish conditions and falling air pressure.... i've always noticed the larger pike tend to come out to play more during this combination of elements
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 pm

it depends on venues mate,i like a strong wind blowing in face with a bit of drizzle,thats on one water.another water i like ti fish on back of a wind ,but dry.my advices is learn your water ,condtions it fishs best.some might fish better at night to? Smile keep a open mind mate,dont forget moon phauses an tides ect Laughing
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 pm

thats a very interesting comment nick
i have noticed that different waters tend to react to different conditions -one water i fish the pike love a really high wind and very choppy surface i have fished there and had a bonanza days fishing in excess of twenty doubles - but go to this water when its a lot calmer and it is very slow fishing indeed another gravel pit is just the opposite- maybe water clarity has a bearing on this- but i have some more thoughts on water clarity and bait colours

but one thing that i have noticed is that 90% of my exceptionally good days have all got one thing in common and that is variable light conditions hence when you catch at first light(when the conditions turn from dark to light)- if there is variable light conditions thru out the day the feeding spells seem to last much longer and frequently pike will feed all day in these conditions
i have thought about this a lot and even anticipated runs as the light changes from dark to light, but very rarely from light to dark

this "theory" that i have noticed must have a reason why i have noticed when the runs occur-- the only reason i can think off is that whilst the pike is patrolling for food it needs a certain amount of light to locate its prey easily by sight or easier than using its sense of smell to locate baits - does anyone see where im coming from??
do you catch more on lighter brighter days or dull dark days???? - saying that darker days seem to be much better when there is a chop on the water , maybe the light that is available is refracted thru the water when there is a choppy surface enabling the pike better vision at depth???

im sorry to ask the questions but i am only looking for other anglers views and experiences to try and prove/disprove an observation

hopefully if we all put our heads together it may put a few more fish under the scales for us all Very Happy

dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Very Happy of next few sessions an see,hopefully get some fish to!
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:16 am

Funny how some like a bit of rain. I cannot stand rain when I'm pike fishing. To me it's the kiss of death. Maybe it's just the glacial Highland waters I fish that don't produce to rain.

Here's a little post I did a while back for another forum regarding rain. There was a poll carried out and rain was voted as the worst piking weather by far and I wrote a little theory on why this might be. This is just conjecture and theory but you might like it or even agree with it....God forbid!!....lol

"I've caught plenty of Pike while it's hammering but on the whole, I've noticed one thing that stands out.
It can be absolutely hammering almost all day long but if there's so much as a 2-3 minute break in the rain, that's when you'll get a run and I've seen this happen so many times, it can't possibly be coincidence.
I have a theory. It may be crap but at least I'm trying.
Most people would agree that Pike seem to like a ripple on the water for one reason or another...yes?
It's my view that Pike prefer to come out when the daylight is strobing/dappling, as it diffuses through the surface ripple. I actually reckon that's why some Pike are spotted all over.
Anyhow, I believe Pike use the surface commotion to their advantage and may well be actively hunting when it's raining also BUT I think the noise rain creates, upsets their lateral line and inner ear's efficiency and they might have to rely on sight and smell alone.
When the rain stops briefly, I think they have a window of opportunity to utilise ALL of their senses.

That's Pike of course but this could change how other species behave. Many species very often come out and start feeding voraciously when it starts raining. Fish, which may normally keep a low profile, when there are Pike around, may take full advantage of the Pike's off period and feed in a frenzied manner, in reasonable safety.
Rain also brings food, especially if there's a large hatch of flies over the water. As the flies become waterlogged, they often end up stuck on the surface, unable to take flight again, until they've had a chance to dry off. Surface feeders are the most likely candidates to come 'alive' when this occurs. Sometimes, it only takes a short burst of rainfall to initiate a sudden increase in activity. Trout, Rudd, Carp and Roach are often seen cruising about the surface layers, mouths wide open, scooping up all manner of bugs and winged beasties. You'll often hear anglers talking of the water 'boiling with activity'. Most of the time, this phenomenon occurs as a direct result of a rain shower. Other species, which are generally found closer to the bottom, may also take advantage of this sudden free bounty.
River fish also tend to come alive when the rain comes on, especially if there's been a dry period before hand. Anything that lives up overhanging trees and bushes, may find itself in the water and the fish are well aware of this. A swim, which may appear to be devoid of fish, may suddenly turn into something resembling a fish-farm. I'm far more likely to stick things out on the river if the rain comes on, as opposed to when I'm live-baiting a still-water for Pike.
You also have to bear in mind that rain brings oxygen. Fish will very often lie low, in a bid to conserve energy, especially when it's hot. A sudden boost of oxygen can turn a positively lethargic fish, onto actively hunting, in a matter of minutes."

......Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:49 pm

i try to avoid fishing in the rain as i have noticed a couple of times when it rained on a trip the pike seem to turn off , was fishing a local loch where we are gauranteed at least a couple of runs between us the only couple of days we blanked were always rainy days confused
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:57 pm

some good replies coming in

i like your thinking andy

i agree with you on the break in the rain scenario-- happens far to often to be a coincidence

hence my stating that i can almost anticipate runs as the skies brighten up- but i put my theory down to baits being more visible (read silhouetted) against the brightening sky/water surface

the dappled surface and pikes colours theory or thoughts makes pure sense as well - one i hadnt thought of - i put the dappled/choppy surface refracting light onto baits making them shine and glint off the baits scales hence more visible again to those very large pike eyes- i very rarely fish bottom baits for this reason -critically balanced popups being a firm favorite of mine

as for oxygen levels -- if only some very clever person came up with a pocket sized device to measure oxygen levels !!!!! Jim gibbinson always fished on the wind for this very reason find the oxygen and you'll find the fish!!! you'll be right more times than you'll be wrong

dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Jim Gibbinson always made great sense. I loved reading his all too infrequent articles a few years ago. study

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down