PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

plumbing up

+4
rozzo
kell
Bazz
sweets34
8 posters

Go down

plumbing up Empty plumbing up

Post  sweets34 Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 pm

This may sound llike a stupid question to the experienced but what's the best way to plumb up your swim? Keep seeing tips saying fish a couple of feet over depth but would that not mean the float will always lie flat,uncocked? I know you use a float stop to set depth but if its over depth what then? The local lake to me is pretty deep at one end up to about 20ft so how can I float ledger that? Float stops don't cast well through rings of rod so with a 12ft rod surely this as deep as you can go? Rolling Eyes please advise as I think this is a important factor to get right to increase my chances of catching
Thanks
The novice Smile

sweets34

Back to top Go down

plumbing up Empty Re: plumbing up

Post  Bazz Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:21 am

Yes

Last edited by Bazz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 am

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/how-to/Coarse-fishing-advice/Fishing-Rigs/Search-Results/Predator-rigs/Float-Deadbait-Rig/

I use this set up you do not need anything else i do not even use rod rests just lay the rods on the floor . if the pike picks the bait up the float lies , if it then moves off it will sink under. I do not use drop back indicators or any thing else. One of the most sensitive methods going.And one of the best sites.
I use a lead that will just not sink the float so when a pike picks the bait up the float is taking the wieght of the float and all so when setting up depth or plumbing you can find correct depth of where you are fishing and then i add about 300mm on .
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:53 am

the best way to plumb you swim is with a depth gauge but these don't seem to be available any more. alternatively use the sliding stop knot above the float as mentioned above and clip a 2oz bomb to your snaplink. don't forget to wet the knot with spit everytime you want to move it.
powergum or a thin elastic band are best to make the knot and don't forget to leave the tails about 2 inches long so it passes through the rings without snagging Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm with rozzo. Laccy bands all the way. I normally find the postie leaves a nice supply all over the pavements round our way for me to use.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Elastic's ok on mono but if you use braid and if you move your knot a lot then it won't last long before the line cuts through it. I use heavy mono stopknots on my braid rods and it lasts ok.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 am

or why not use a polaris pike float they are good for fishing deep swims and no stop knots involved good for getting your line out of the way on snaggy and rough bottom obsticles.....they come in all sizes Smile
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  doad Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:52 am

i agree with that stubbo iv used them loads for dead baiting of the boat and they are so easy to use you cant go wrong with them
doad
doad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down