PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front swingers

+7
blacky99
brownfox
macawboy
fatcaff
MAD BAD ANGLER
piketastic
alfieboy
11 posters

Go down

front swingers Empty front swingers

Post  alfieboy Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm

just wondering if anyone on here uses front swingers.? last couple of years ive been using the fox dropoffs, but ive had trouble in the past with the linegate, that im not really a fan of, so dependent on where im fishing i go btwn the dropoffs or jst the straight baitrunner, i would say ive had a lot more success fishing with jst the baitrunner, and ive just purchased 4 solar i-lites front swingers 2 give them a try. i appreciate the fact of minimal resistance 2 the fish when fishing dropoffs and an open bail, but what ive found in my own experience fishing mostly big wild scottish lochs, its not often u get shy biting pike, usually when u get a run, the fish is taking ur bait, whether theres any resistance or not from the baitrunner, i do use a freeruning lead with prowla leadclips, that helps a lot when fishing the baitrunner, i use basic delkim ev alarms, any advice or tips anyone has on the front set up would be welcome, many thanks in advance.

mark Question
alfieboy
alfieboy

Back to top Go down

front swingers Empty front

Post  piketastic Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi mate. Yes I fish that way 90% of the time, If I remember rightly we did a topic on this a few months ago, someone will no doubt put you on to a link or help you find it, Cheers Craig.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

front swingers Empty Re: front swingers

Post  alfieboy Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:03 pm

thx m8, just new 2 the forum not seen the topic yet but i,ll hav a rummage see if i can come across it Smile
alfieboy
alfieboy

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm

always use front swingers, unless im float fishing. never ever used drop offs since i saw a fish deep hooked after line got nipped in the line clip and failed to drop off. have a look at this
https://pikeangler.forumotion.com/t2117-drop-back-bite-indicators?highlight=back+biters

Back to top Go down

Post  alfieboy Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:12 pm

thats whats happened 2 me with the dropoffs, fox claim the linegate is adjustable, but thats crap ive had one deephooking but was fortunate enough 2 cut the hooks with the sidecutters, what kind of swingers would yous recommend, would yous say i am ok with the solar ones with the isotopes Question
alfieboy
alfieboy

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 pm

i use fox micro swingers, never had a prob with them, chapmans do 1 made by stillwater angling identical to the fox ones but only £5.99

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 pm

I use these not had any bother http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-GATOR-AMBER-BITE-INDICATOR-POST-FREE-/230887325644?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item35c1f4ffcc
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  macawboy Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

I have always used fox front swingers front alarms with the bait runner on.
This season i have not had one drop run fishing this way, so for me i don,t buy into the idea of dropped runs due to
this resistance lark.
Just my opinion and my results but others on here will probably have much different views.
macawboy
macawboy

Back to top Go down

front swingers Empty Front swingers

Post  brownfox Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am

The general concensus is they are NOT recomended for pike fishing they are not good at showing drop backs this i presume is because of the leverage dynamics of each set up. The rigid arm with weight is applying more downward pressure therefore showing the slightest amount of slack line your normal front one wont, UNLESS you weight your normal front set up to keep the line taught which would entail the line clip to be quite tight not recommended.
I would suggest you look at the line gate set up on your rear drop offs, I have tried most except for fox ones that i believe have spring problems none are perfect except Mark Houghtons own. You can make your own out of hairclips that are just as good as the rest no problems just bend the tension right.
brownfox
brownfox

Back to top Go down

Post  blacky99 Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

alfieboy wrote:just wondering if anyone on here uses front swingers.?

mark Question

I use the Fox micro MK2 front swingers and only them on sticks or my pods. I've had trouble with the fox rear swingers with the gate on banksticks and never had an attchment for using them on my pod. ive heard the original fox rear drop offs had a clip system rather than the gate but i cant find them anywhere. its put me off using them though.
blacky99
blacky99

Back to top Go down

Post  alfieboy Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 pm

thx for the help guys Smile
alfieboy
alfieboy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 pm

I cant think of anything more unsuited to pike fishing danglers swinger whatever you have up front will show you lots of info on pickups i wont deny that but when it comes to hook ups you will suffer, or the fish will

Set a drop off up correctly with a decent rig (big 3 ounce upwards free running lead) and set the line clip so it just hold the line. The drop off needs to be set tight against the spool if it can rise its not set up right
Done that?
Then any pick up you get will lead to the bobbin dropping off no drop backs no resistance job done
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:38 am

noodle wrote:I cant think of anything more unsuited to pike fishing danglers swinger whatever you have up front will show you lots of info on pickups i wont deny that but when it comes to hook ups you will suffer, or the fish will

Set a drop off up correctly with a decent rig (big 3 ounce upwards free running lead) and set the line clip so it just hold the line. The drop off needs to be set tight against the spool if it can rise its not set up right
Done that?
Then any pick up you get will lead to the bobbin dropping off no drop backs no resistance job done

Word perfect Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

front swingers Empty FRONT SWINGERS

Post  stubbo Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm

thought i stumbled on to a differant type of forum then guys....phew Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:20 pm

each to their own i suppose, i use swingers for all fishing from roach to pike, and if a 3 oz roach can give me an indication i see no reason for any pike not to give me any indication. when bream fishing most of the bites are drop backs so i dont see swingers as having any disadvantages over drop offs. if everyone used the same gear and tactics nothing would ever change. as i say guys this is only my opinion, and if you like using drop offs im not going to say you should change what your doing, but im firmly in the front swinger group. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:each to their own i suppose, i use swingers for all fishing from roach to pike, and if a 3 oz roach can give me an indication i see no reason for any pike not to give me any indication. when bream fishing most of the bites are drop backs so i dont see swingers as having any disadvantages over drop offs. if everyone used the same gear and tactics nothing would ever change. as i say guys this is only my opinion, and if you like using drop offs im not going to say you should change what your doing, but im firmly in the front swinger group. Very Happy Very Happy
Its not just indication though, i did say you will get more info out of danglers up front. In fact he most sensitive indicator set up is a lightweight hanger fished on a slack line to a heavy running lead. But it has drawbacks in that you cant fish in anything less than perfect conditions and it gives a big change in resistance as the bobbin hits the top point it can
For pike the best is the drop off because when its set upright it does exactly what it says, pike moves the bait bobbin drops off angler checks the rod, with a front system you can get all manner of indications and sit watching them
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  paul_sheff Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:16 am

I have always used rear drop offs for my pike fishing . At first it was up fronts and fox line gates. As of last season it was Billy's back biters for me. And I recon they are the best pred drop off alarm on the market. All now fitted with solar ptfe night glow adjustable ball line clips do can be clipped as slack or as tight as needs be. And if using lives tighten the clip up and don't get the continuos annoying beeps that you get when using up fronts
If anyone fancys some Billy's drop me a message ;-)
Can't beat been sat behind ledger rods clipped up to a set of Billy's , waiting in anticipation as to what might be out there looking at your bait, while the bacon is cooking and the kettle boiling lol

Paul. santa
paul_sheff
paul_sheff

http://Www.billysbackbiters.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down