PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carrying your gear

+3
psion
rozzo
treble
7 posters

Go down

carrying your gear Empty carrying your gear

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 am

transporting all your gear pike fishing is hard work. iv got a rod bag with loads of pockets, then a 35ltr ruck sack that i put larger stuff into, then a smaller ruck sack for food and drink. i prob walked about half a mile to a spot last sat and discovered my mug smashed while looking forward to a coffee. sometimes i will walk 2 or 3 mile when sussing out a new water.(caught a 6lb'er and a 3lb'er) i try not to take too much gear but its still a night mare to carry. i suppose if i break a leg it would be a good place to r.i.p.
prob need to cut down on my gear i always take loads of spinning lures and hardly use them

am i the only one mad enough to walk these distances? paths up here consist of no more than flooded deer tracks.

treble

Back to top Go down

carrying your gear Empty Re: carrying your gear

Post  rozzo Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 pm

get a barrow m8 ;-)
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm

[quote="rozzo"]get a barrow m8 ;-)
[/quote
too wild for a barrow and then theres the odd 10ft deer fence bounce

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:16 pm

I have a Power walker but you would not get it over a 10` fencecarrying your gear Blemha10

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Simple, suss out a new water with 2 rods at the most and have them made up already. Travel light with a small rucksack and a minimal amount of tackle.

Firstly, I'd take a rod with a plumbing setup and a printed, blown-up map of the water, to mark off depths and likely spots. You'll learn far more about the water on a single visit, than you ever would by repeatedly fishing likely looking areas and carrying loads of gear with you over several, potentially fruitless sessions.

Secondly, I'd take either a lure rod or a wobbling outfit. The wobbling outfit is the same wherever you take it, plus or minus a little lead for getting down to various depths. As for the lure outfit, I'd take as little as 5 lures, each of which serving a different purpose. As an instance...

1: A floating jerkbait, like a Salmo Slider. A great recce lure that seems to produce fish on any water, at any time of the year. It's reputation speaks for itself.
2: A spinnerbait or a bucktail, for covering lots of water quickly, at varying depths and speeds.
3: A soft plastic, like a jig-head/shad, a springdawg, a mag-grub, a twin-tail or something of that ilk, for covering the deeper areas slowly and methodically.
4: A rattling, vaned crankbait, again for covering various depths but with the added advantage of making it's presence known.
5: A copper spoon, because they're useful for fishing at distance, covering all depths, fishing at every speed possible, making itself conspicuous with it's reflective properties and it's thumping noise and simply because copper spoons have been banking pike, from all kinds of waters for as long as man has been fishing for pike.

That is how I'd go about learning a new water. Once I know something about the water, only then would I go the whole hog and break out the 3 rod, kitchen sink approach

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:42 pm

i always take print outs of waters. im a bit stubborn in what i will carry and like the challenge. i kno a water with a 2 mile hike to potential spawing grounds i would like to try with a deepest point of 160ft. this is a big water of 4 mile long what would you take ??

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

treble wrote: i always take print outs of waters. im a bit stubborn in what i will carry and like the challenge. i kno a water with a 2 mile hike to potential spawing grounds i would like to try with a deepest point of 160ft. this is a big water of 4 mile long what would you take ??
a golf trolley nowadays lol
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 pm

no way rozzo theres no chance of that makin it without my gear being spilled half a dozen times

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 pm

treble wrote: i always take print outs of waters. im a bit stubborn in what i will carry and like the challenge. i kno a water with a 2 mile hike to potential spawing grounds i would like to try with a deepest point of 160ft. this is a big water of 4 mile long what would you take ??

Treble, I'm much the same. I do like having everything with me but I've learned that it's a waste of time and effort trying to learn a new water when you take the full kit. By weighing yourself down, you're limiting yourself to fishing a lesser number of swims, which means that you have to do several trips to become familar with your new water of choice.

If you do what I suggested in the post above, you can become familiarised with the water in as little as 2-3 trips. Once you have become familiar with the water, you can then do the 'big haul' and put yourself on a swim you have confidence in and with that confidence, you fidget less or feel the need to move on after a time, telling yourself that there might be a better swim elsewhere.

It's great having everything with you. I like my home comforts a much as the next man but I can't abide feeling that I might be in the wrong spot. I like to burst a lung carrying all my gear, get to the water and feel 100% confident that my final destination will come up trumps, even if I'm there for a whole weekend. I prefer to set up shop, construct a home from home and stay put but I can only do that if I've done my homework first.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 pm

cheers hope to get back out soon pirat

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:28 pm

how much do you need to take
rods
bait
spare rigs
seat
brew
net
mat

what on earth have you got there
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm

noodle wrote:how much do you need to take
rods
bait
spare rigs
seat
brew
net
mat

what on earth have you got there
what about the kitchen sink?

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

if u fell and broke a leg what would you do with no phone signal?

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm

psion wrote: I have a Power walker but you would not get it over a 10` fencecarrying your gear Blemha10

the background of your pick is nothing like the terrain i might cover

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 pm

treble wrote:if u fell and broke a leg what would you do with no phone signal?

depends on where it was, its something ive had to consider and worse in other pastimes ive had, one thing to consider is carrying a few simcards for different networks
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 am

noodle wrote:

depends on where it was, its something ive had to consider and worse in other pastimes ive had, one thing to consider is carrying a few simcards for different networks

Lie on the ground and cry like a girl Very Happy Very Happy
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:37 am

Or you could just make smoke signals!?
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:37 am

fatcaff wrote:
noodle wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 am

fatcaff wrote:
noodle wrote:

and that is how you get eat by foxes
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 am

haha too many red wines to play on computers last night

treble

Back to top Go down