PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin!

5 posters

Go down

Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin! Empty Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin!

Post  edbeartwo Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:33 pm

I fish the Severn mostly at the moment, and anyone who has fished between the city of Worcester and Tewkesbury will be well aware of the mass of snags and sunken wood in this stretch. I have lost maybe 8-10 lures in total despite my best efforts. I was thinking of making an otter, like the salmon guys use, but a google search led me to the bay of evil (USA), where a Korean seller was selling a device called the "Tyranno Teeth" lure retriever. Price was $24 dollars including recorded postage, and it looked like something that would work. (item no. 300774796411).

This was two weeks ago, and it arrived yesterday, so as I was out this afternoon I did not have to wait too long before I got the chance to try it. The first go was on a snag maybe 20 feet out, and I was using a 3" Norwich spoon. I went up the bank a bit to get a steeper angle to the line, and clipped it on.

It sailed down the line and disappeared underwater, and I gave the heavy line supplied a couple of tugs, It missed twice then latched on, but felt strangely spongy...the reason being that when it gave with a hard steady pull, It had snagged the same bundle of line and assorted lost tackle as my spoon!...These were in turn snagged on a branch which my heavy hand line and device had snapped off.

Once I got the mess ashore, and got busy with the scissors, I had gained;
My spoon back, + 5 flying C's (to nylon), 3 Mepps spinners (to nylon), a coffin lead, a swivel lead, and 3 lots of snap tackle:D 
So it had paid for itself first time out....

About 200 yards up the bank I again came to a dead stop close in, so out it came again...This time the spoon had lodged into a log maybe 4 feet long about 8 feet out, just as the water deepened, I heaved on the cable and could see bubbles and mud rising as I rocked the log, then in came my spoon. The device had latched onto the front split ring, and one hook of the (strong) trebles was now straight.

I will get my big scale out and see what force this requires, as I was really heaving, far past what my 15k Power Pro would have let go at.

It is not perfect, It would not get down to an Ondex I lost in fast water, as the currant effect on the cable kept it away from the spinner, but for slowish / still water, and fairly close in, I can highly recommend it!

Have pics of it in action, but can't post yet.

ATB, ED

Last edited by edbeartwo on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

edbeartwo

Back to top Go down

Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin! Empty Re: Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin!

Post  edbeartwo Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi, can someone give me the gen on how to upload photos please. I can see the url link for hosting and linking, do I just copy and paste from my flikr stuff, or is there a hotlink system?

I took a few shots of the stuff I pulled out, and one of the thing attached to a spoon showing the hook damage, which may be of interest.

(I have only been on here 7 days, so also realise that I don't have full access yet;) 

ATB, Ed

edbeartwo

Back to top Go down

Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin! Empty Re: Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin!

Post  adie1200 Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Try here >>> Linky  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  edbeartwo Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin! P1010510

Thanks Adie, you are a gent:D...This shot shows the device as pulled out after the second snag on the log, note the straightened out hook!

edbeartwo

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:15 pm

I saw a home made one using a large treble hook with the points cut off and a ledger, not sure where though but that one looks brilliant,
Was looking at it on ebay it says £12.44 plus £2.49 delivery surely that can't be to uk?
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  edbeartwo Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Mate, if the seller is Ubikle 77-kr, than that price is correct, arrived in a nice Korean box, well packed, and tracked too!...I buy and sell a fair bit aboard, and the sad fact is that we in the UK are totally screwed by the post office in terms of cost, It's even worse now they have a new parcel size system. The bay saved Royal Fail in this area, and now they are determined to balls that up too!

(sorry about the rant, to be fair,I have never had a lost item from R.M., but they are VERY pricy for international).

ATB, Ed

edbeartwo

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Ahh seeing the $ sign I assumed it was from America, gonna get one of these well worth the money Very Happy 
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin! Empty Lure retriever.

Post  eddiewillow Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 pm

edbeartwo wrote:Lure Saver....Does what it says on the tin! P1010510

Thanks Adie, you are a gent:D...This shot shows the device as pulled out after the second snag on the log, note the straightened out hook!
Hi i hav'nt posted on here for a long while.I had to register again,anyway seeing this a week or so ago,i have ordered one.I just hope it works with
Ondex and Mepps i'm a bit of a sucker for spinners, i buy a season ticket for Danby Estates Salmon and Sea Trout.I went through a good few the
amount of times fishing,we did'nt get much rain and only got about ten days.
Tight lines Eddie.

eddiewillow

http://eddiewillow@sky.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike W Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

edbeartwo wrote:I fish the Severn mostly at the moment, and anyone who has fished between the city of Worcester and Tewkesbury will be well aware of the mass of snags and sunken wood in this stretch. I have lost maybe 8-10 lures in total despite my best efforts. I was thinking of making an otter, like the salmon guys use, but a google search led me to the bay of evil (USA), where a Korean seller was selling a device called the "Tyranno Teeth" lure retriever. Price was $24 dollars including recorded postage, and it looked like something that would work. (item no. 300774796411).

This was two weeks ago, and it arrived yesterday, so as I was out this afternoon I did not have to wait too long before I got the chance to try it. The first go was on a snag maybe 20 feet out, and I was using a 3" Norwich spoon. I went up the bank a bit to get a steeper angle to the line, and clipped it on.

It sailed down the line and disappeared underwater, and I gave the heavy line supplied a couple of tugs, It missed twice then latched on, but felt strangely spongy...the reason being that when it gave with a hard steady pull, It had snagged the same bundle of line and assorted lost tackle as my spoon!...These were in turn snagged on a branch which my heavy hand line and device had snapped off.

Once I got the mess ashore, and got busy with the scissors, I had gained;
My spoon back, + 5 flying C's (to nylon), 3 Mepps spinners (to nylon), a coffin lead, a swivel lead, and 3 lots of snap tackle:D 
So it had paid for itself first time out....

About 200 yards up the bank I again came to a dead stop close in, so out it came again...This time the spoon had lodged into a log maybe 4 feet long about 8 feet out, just as the water deepened, I heaved on the cable and could see bubbles and mud rising as I rocked the log, then in came my spoon. The device had latched onto the front split ring, and one hook of the (strong) trebles was now straight.

I will get my big scale out and see what force this requires, as I was really heaving, far past what my 15k Power Pro would have let go at.

It is not perfect, It would not get down to an Ondex I lost in fast water, as the currant effect on the cable kept it away from the spinner, but for slowish / still water, and fairly close in, I can highly recommend it!

Have pics of it in action, but can't post yet.

ATB, ED

Just watched the youtube vid, it looks impressive :-)

Mike W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum