PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jacks v females

+2
stubbo
Al
6 posters

Go down

jacks v females  Empty jacks v females

Post  Al Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 pm

if the average jack in the lake i fish is around 9ib-10ib mark what would you expect the big females to be.The lake is 20acres ,and all the other fish seem to grow to specimen size.The biggest pike i've had to date is 15ib would you expect there to be larger pike than that with 9ib - 10ib average with the jacks.

Al

Back to top Go down

jacks v females  Empty Re: jacks v females

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:31 am

depends on lots of factors
i fish a water about 50 achers in size where the average is about 5lb to 10lb put loads of hours on there just because of the size of the place and lots of pegs to fish some pegs never get fished you would think just by looking at it there would be a good fish in there but the best i have had was 18lb the wife claimed that one ...long story...any way

the water in question does not seem to have a large head of pike because i think theres not enough bait fish in there as it gets hammered by cormerants you cant catch a live bait and god i have tried float/ quiver long /short range ///nothing not even a bite but the pike are eating something maybe
there own

maybe like the water i fish your water is the same type and the 15lb fish is the biggest if its full of jacks nothing eating the jacks .

another water i fish in wales is the opposite no jacks ,no bait fish . just big pike the they must be eating something to make them grow to 30lb plus and that too gets a hammerring from the black birds from hell...

stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  kevo Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:17 am

If a majority of the jacks are around the 9-10lb mark then it seems they getting well fed so therefore there'll be a lot of competition for the bait fish and if their not getting the food needed to sustain their growth rate then they'll soon start feeding on there own, which in turn will lead to bigger pike eventually, could be a water that will produce some big girls in the future. Like stubbo mentioned, if nothing's eating the jacks then there's a probability that there's not many if any big pike in there at the moment.  I've fished quite a few Scottish lochs where you get hammered with jacks to the point where you soon run out of bait, these places I don't fish anymore. That's not to say that (like the water you mentioned) there won't be a big girl or two lurking about but they may be few and far between......

kevo

Back to top Go down

Post  Al Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks for the replies.The water i fish is full of bait fish there's no problem catching them,but unforntunatly there's a no live bait rule,there's also a single barbless hook rule so baits are limited a bit size wise
.The other thing i did'n't mention is nearly 60% percent of the lake is unfished due to a long diffecult walk through heavy undergrowth .we do have 2 boats ,but these are almost impossible to get hold of someones always got them,but they always anchor in the middlle no one ever goes to these unfished areas,which has me curious,and wondering if it's worth the walk.Also i have done a fair bit of work watching the lake this year with binoculars ,and most of the spawning grounds are in these unfished areas would big pike be in these areas if there are any of course.lol! 
Thanks Al..

Al

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 pm

I would take the walk with a lure rod 1st.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  kevo Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Places that take quite a hike to get to are the places you want to be imo as not a lot of anglers are prepared to walk to these areas so won't be pressured in any way. 90% of my piking is done on the rivers as there is next to none decent still waters that hold pike near me. I always adopt a roving tactic and very rarely see anyone else. Travel light and get your hiking boots out, it may well increase your chances of hooking into a decent fish......Wink

kevo

Back to top Go down

Post  symonh2000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm

I like to travel light as well.

Rucksack full of tackle, rod/reel and a net is all you need. Some people forget the rucksack and carry all of their lures and tackle in their pockets.

Personally I would also bring a few dead baits as well as some lures, small fish like sprats are easy enough to carry and can be cast out well enough on a lure rod.

symonh2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Al Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:24 pm

I went through my fishing gear last night, took everything i thought i did'n't need .
This morning i went to the lake to try the other side that is never fished ,anyway got to the gate , it was locked so i left the car at the gate ,and walked up to the lake which is quite a long walk so when i got there i fished one of my favorite swims, just could'n't be bothered after the long walk from the gate.
Anyway it was looking like a really bad day broke a rod had'n't rinsed my flask out so soapy coffee and it was looking like a blank .Then all of a sudden things changed i caught a small jack around 3ib_4ib then on the same rod just after the re-cast caught a 40inch long pike with massive head  really deep body .I have no idea of weight    (i left the scales at home along with my camera to save weight)   and to be honest i don't care i know it's the biggest pike i've ever caught so i'm very happy ,just glad i always carry a tape measure with my unhooking tools.Very Happy 

Al

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:19 pm

if its new territory fish half way up either bank and at each next visit move up or down you will soon find the big girls area even if it does take you a while
it would be werth it in the end, ive fished for pike from a very young age 11 onwards, water craft is something learned by roaming waters of all kind, but I still learn things now,even today I caught my 1st canal pike but I put that down to my own skills and guidance from people past and present, get on to it wether the walks to much or not, its about being out in the fresh air meeting our pike catch or no catch,
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  kevo Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Sounds like you banked a good fish there Al, got to be an upper 20 by the measurement and the way you described it. Always good practice to ensure you have scales and a camera with you mate, just don't do what I did last time out and forget to charge it....Embarassed .

kevo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 am

Al wrote:I went through my fishing gear last night, took everything i thought i did'n't need .
This morning i went to the lake to try the other side that is never fished ,anyway got to the gate , it was locked so i left the car at the gate ,and walked up to the lake which is quite a long walk so when i got there i fished one of my favorite swims, just could'n't be bothered after the long walk from the gate.
Anyway it was looking like a really bad day broke a rod had'n't rinsed my flask out so soapy coffee and it was looking like a blank .Then all of a sudden things changed i caught a small jack around 3ib_4ib then on the same rod just after the re-cast caught a 40inch long pike with massive head  really deep body .I have no idea of weight    (i left the scales at home along with my camera to save weight)   and to be honest i don't care i know it's the biggest pike i've ever caught so i'm very happy ,just glad i always carry a tape measure with my unhooking tools.Very Happy 
did you not have a camera on your phone pal even the basic cheap phones have a camera its the first thing on my list
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Al Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Yes Stubbo thats exactly what i've got a cheap Nokia with a tiny screen can't even upload photo's on to my pc waste of time as a camera ,good phone though.lol! 
Kevo just happy as i know it's the biggest pike i've caught would be happy just to think that 40inch = a 20ib fish.
Silkmen congrats on your first canal pike .Thats my plan to try all the unfished swims on the lake hopefully will get out next saturday .
 Thanks for the replies Al..

Al

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 pm

have you tried a bit of prebaiting buddy ?
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  Al Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:26 pm

No,never even thought of it, sounds a good idea cheers Silkmen...

Al

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Al wrote:No,never even thought of it, sounds a good idea cheers Silkmen...
got to be werth a try al it could draw some good fish into an area for you and at the same time save you having to mooch all over the place
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down