PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what fishing book would you recommend?

+3
noodle
MAD BAD ANGLER
nickcarpy
7 posters

Go down

what fishing book would you recommend? Empty what fishing book would you recommend?

Post  nickcarpy Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:59 pm

which one would you recommend a good read/imput to your fishing?an also rate out of 10
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

what fishing book would you recommend? Empty Re: what fishing book would you recommend?

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 pm

best book i have read is A ROMP WITH CARP. so,so funny. all of rob maylins books are also very good. never read any pike fishing books, but may well do so soon.

Back to top Go down

what fishing book would you recommend? Empty Re: what fishing book would you recommend?

Post  noodle Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:31 pm

book would be casting at the sun
or the complete angler

mag would have to be pike and predators or coarse angling today

telly

passion for angling
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 pm

MBA is spot on with Albert Romps' "A Romp with Carp". Carp books have a quality that puts the pike ones in the shade. But saying that, they can probably afford to, as carp books far outsell pike books which usually sell less than a thousand copies.

Chris Yates is superb. I recently read "How To Fish" and it is wonderful. Don't be put off by the title though. It's more about a days perch fishing with his mind wandering to past sessions and bringing his early days of how fishing captured him.

Many pike books are regurgitated using the same authors. I realise that the "Authors" are trying to get expert opinion from the best anglers in each discipline but I prefer my books to be written by the author and not his mates. That said, Big Pike by Bob Church is a good read, or at least Bob's chapters are.

The one that stands out in pike fishing is John Watson's "A Pikers Progress".

Richard Walker's "Catching Fish - Knowing Their Feeding Habits" is a gem.

Regards

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 am

ad all rob maylin books,brill read,full of humour Very Happy carp fever was a leading book in its time.butmy bestpiking book ad to be eddie turners 'mega pike'its outstanding pics an storys abt sand pits thirtys[braces]to.it was by far up the list an could equall any carp book of that time.then there was a allrounder book by dave plummer,on cover page he ad a big brace of twenty plus pike on it.another brill read,a local guy fishing clumber park for roach,ravenfield for carp an tench,langold for perch an bream.top read anall about waters local to me at that time. Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:24 am

Mick Brown's Piking:The Practice and the Passion. I love the way its set out almost like a diary in month by month chapters. There's some great tips and advice on the best ways to fish for pike depending on the time of year it is.
I also highly cherish all Chris Yates' books and a very old book I have about angling in Yorkshire from the early 1900's.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 am

'The Practice And The Passion' by Mick Brown and 'The Compleat Angler' By Izaak Walton.
The reasons for reading 'The Practice And The Passion' are clearly outlined by our very own Tootall but for those who haven't read it, get a hold of 'The Compleat Angler'. Even now it's an amazing book and I defy anyone not to get 'fresh' ideas from it. Not only that but it would teach us a few things about how to treat our fellow man (and I mean 'man' in the generic version of the word....(which does include the ladies)

......Regards......Andy...... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Through the Fishes Eye by Sosin&Clark
Angling the Fundemental Principles by Rickards
are two of the best books about fish and fishing i ever read, they are not about rigs,tatics and gear like most books but are more about understanding fish and what makes them tick.
there are lots of pike books around i have in the region of 150 in my collection,thats just about pike.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:26 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:'The Practice And The Passion' by Mick Brown and 'The Compleat Angler' By Izaak Walton.
The reasons for reading 'The Practice And The Passion' are clearly outlined by our very own Tootall but for those who haven't read it, get a hold of 'The Compleat Angler'. Even now it's an amazing book and I defy anyone not to get 'fresh' ideas from it. Not only that but it would teach us a few things about how to treat our fellow man (and I mean 'man' in the generic version of the word....(which does include the ladies)

......Regards......Andy...... geek

love the bit about vinandermere having a bottom like marble

wish i knew where it was so i dont snag Laughing
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum