PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anybody make their own lead weights?

5 posters

Go down

Does anybody make their own lead weights? Empty Does anybody make their own lead weights?

Post  noz Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Anyone ever done this? BT, most of my best fish were all caught on free lined mackerel tail ( never caught owt on heads!!) over weed beds.
However, cheap home made leads are good as if you do fish in weedy water, it is not the end of the world to lose some, is it?
Common sense precautions are a must if you try this, of course. Eye protection, gloves, and fume dispersal are the main ones to watch.

noz

Back to top Go down

Does anybody make their own lead weights? Empty Re: Does anybody make their own lead weights?

Post  psion Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Years ago I did make my own weight and still have some moulds left but now they are cheap to buy on the internet.

psion

Back to top Go down

Does anybody make their own lead weights? Empty Re: Does anybody make their own lead weights?

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:21 pm

noz wrote:Anyone ever done this? BT, most of my best fish were all caught on free lined mackerel tail ( never caught owt on heads!!) over weed beds.
However,  cheap home made  leads are good as if you do fish in weedy water, it is not the end of the world to lose some, is it?
Common sense precautions are a must if you try this, of course. Eye protection, gloves, and fume dispersal are the main ones to watch.
trouble is mate if your losing leads in very weedy spots you are probably losing baited traces too , not good for the pike ,it would literally be the end of the world for them pal... I make my own but not for pike fishing as most places ban the use of lead weights...don't get me wrong we have all lost traces , but we have to put the pikes welfare first, as I baited trace left in the swim is a death cert for a pike .. Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Unless you are using a week link Steve 😊😊 then it's a good chance you will only lose the lead 😉
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:51 pm

adie1200 wrote:Unless you are using a week link Steve 😊😊 then it's a good chance you will only lose the lead 😉
very true adie , was not having ago mate , just thought he might be losing everything ie/ traces ........ Very Happy a weak links is the answer.....
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Or just use strong braid and haul the weed and snags out?! Very Happy
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:03 pm

J Robinson wrote:Or just use strong braid and haul the weed and snags out?! Very Happy
that's the way I go.... 50lb braid or heavier the hooks just bend out , and if I am fishing a very snaggy swim ,I have traces made up that are fine wire trebles / the red type that bend out easier on a snag , say a branch or the bottom, I used to fish mono , but now its always braid for me. Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Same here 😊 50lb minimum braid I've not used mono for years apart from feeder fishing and silver's on the float
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:14 pm

adie1200 wrote:Same here 😊 50lb minimum braid I've not used mono for years apart from feeder fishing and silver's on the float
me too pal only for summer coarse fishing , when I get the chance that is........
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Yep, 50lb braid here too. The only loch that I seriously fish for pike has at all sides a ring of fairly tough lilies. I don't want to risk being snapped off and leaving a trace and bait in the water so only use 50lb braid - as you say, the hooks will bend out first.

J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down