PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a one life time chance which water to fish?

+2
dave d
nickcarpy
6 posters

Go down

a one life time chance which water to fish? Empty a one life time chance which water to fish?

Post  nickcarpy Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 pm

if you ad a free pass which water would you choose for a once in a lifetime chance?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

a one life time chance which water to fish? Empty Re: a one life time chance which water to fish?

Post  dave d Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 pm

chew valley reservoir Wink

dave d

Back to top Go down

a one life time chance which water to fish? Empty Re: a one life time chance which water to fish?

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:25 pm

For pike? Nowhere springs to mind really. Pike fishing is such a hit and miss affair. You could spend 24hrs on Llandegfedd and blank, meanwhile you could fish a largely unknown water and nail a 30 on your first visit. Some waters do have a large head of big pike and due to limited access, some feel their best chance of a once in a lifetime fish, is to fish these access events. That's fine if you're into that kind of thing but me personally I'd rather have a wild 30 from a largely unknown Highland water than a 35 from a famous trout fishery. To me the wild fish a proper achievement. The trout fed bloater, brought up on neglect and protein pellets is a bit of a non-fish for me.

....Andy....

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:29 pm

think thats what i would like andy,untamed fish,from a river Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Indian Ocean, Coral Bay, Western Australia.

Me and MBA did it a few years ago and had a fantastic time, thanks to his cousin who lives in Perth WA.

I'd just love to revisit that place.

We saw Dugons, Tiger Sharks, Minky Whales, Baracuda, Sailfish, Spanish Mackeral and so much more I can't remember.

sighhhhhhhhh

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:51 pm

lol! lol! do you like boats andy? lol! lol!
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 pm

i'm with you all the way on that one andy. i would love to back there and have another go. fantastic place to go, just remember your sea sickness tablets lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Hehee....did Andy have a dicky tummy last time?? Aw the wee lamb...lol... Smile
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:24 pm

oh yes. was ok while steering the boat, but not so good while watching the rods lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Oh No... My secret is out

I admit it, my stomach is not strong.

I get sick on swings and roundabouts.

Andy Webster

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Funny you mention roundabouts. I've never had any bother with boats or any kind of transport. Swings and funfair rides..no problem but roundabouts were truly horrible. The big one's like the Witch's Hat was OK. It seemed to be the really fast small ones that made me feel sick. I can feel it now...glub!

....Andy.... No
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:05 pm

a big, natural water with untapped potential for big pike would be nice.... you're spot on andy mac, i too would rather target untapped waters than go for trout fed bloaters any day
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Are there any places like that out there Rob? If so, can you tell me where please, please.

I know the Scottish Lochs are massive and relatively lightly fished. But what about the bread and butter venues for a lot of anglers such as gravel pits, rivers, canals and reservoirs. Are there many untapped ones left. It seems that everywhere I go there is litter and muddy banks giving evidence that they are fished heavily. It doesn't matter how far off the beaten track I think I am.

Saying that, the lake I am fishing this week is in the grounds of the place I am working so it is available only to a limited number of anglers. It is rarely, if ever fished for pike which is probably why I am getting a few out. When I first fished it I only had small jacks. In fact before this week I'd had about a dozen fish to 8lb. I was very happy with the ten pounder on monday and I really did not expect them to go to 17. I now think there could be a bigger one in there as I have seen big teeth marks on the 10. The surprising thing is its only a couple of feet deep and a couple of acres in size. Thinking about it (as I am typing) it just proves that pike thrive on neglect.

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down