PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

groundbaiting?

+4
Andy Webster
kell
Lefty
dave78
8 posters

Go down

groundbaiting? Empty groundbaiting?

Post  dave78 Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:34 am

hey folks

been reading some articals recently about using free baits, ie: groundbait
chopping sections of fish and adding oils etc......
i've not try'd this yet, does anyone use this method and think its worth a try???
dave78
dave78

Back to top Go down

groundbaiting? Empty Re: groundbaiting?

Post  Lefty Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:51 am

If you mean prebaiting, it has been used to varying effects by members of this forum. Just the other week MBA tried it out for a few days before actually fishing and it had no discernible effect on the outcome. Other people have said it works.

If you mean chucking it in AS you are fishing to draw them in towards your bait then, again, it has been used to varying effect.

I myself am going to experiment with 'groundbaiting' this season. Liquidized fish put into 35mm film canisters and frozen then put into a swim feeder on my setup. As it melts it will release blood, oils, fishy bits etc into my swim and hopefully ring the dinner bell for mr/mrs pike.

Famous angler Mick Brown uses small pieces of chopped fish in a swimfeeder and swears it works.

Hope this helps! Very Happy
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  dave78 Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:32 pm

thanks lefty

yeah it was mick brown i was reading about, just wondered if anyone else tryed it, i'll give it a chance one trip and see how it goes Cool
dave78
dave78

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:03 pm

tryed it today if they are feeding they should come to your bait.

tried choped fish in pike bomber and pike bomber gear aswell and made not one jot of differance

will post later on trip with steve today Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:44 am

My idea of groundbaiting when pike fishing is putting in crumb and small pellets to attract the shoal fish.

A lamprey or smelt has enough attraction on its own as has been proved countless times so I'm not sure how much extra pull you get from a pike bomb.

A long term experiment would be need to prove either way.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:07 am

i would have to agree ive tried ground baiting with mashed fish mixed with oils etc and i personally dont think it makes a difference.
i reckon if the fish are feeding they"ll take your bait eitherway,, even tried dynamite baits scent trail that everyone was raving about and wasnt convinced....
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  dave78 Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:41 am

onetoner wrote:i would have to agree ive tried ground baiting with mashed fish mixed with oils etc and i personally dont think it makes a difference.
i reckon if the fish are feeding they"ll take your bait eitherway,, even tried dynamite baits scent trail that everyone was raving about and wasnt convinced....

yeah this was my general thinking on the subject but some articals make a very strong case,
oh well i suppose if the day is a struggle it will do no harm in trying, thanks for the valued advice fellas
dave78
dave78

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't reckon its a lot of good feeding chopped fish just before or during the fishing session, baiting up gradually a day or so before & getting the Pike accustomed to finding food in a swim I think...is another matter.

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:13 pm

dave78 wrote:
onetoner wrote:i would have to agree ive tried ground baiting with mashed fish mixed with oils etc and i personally dont think it makes a difference.

yeah this was my general thinking on the subject but some articals make a very strong case,
oh well i suppose if the day is a struggle it will do no harm in trying, thanks for the valued advice fellas

Hi Dave78,

The only way that you will know if it makes a difference Dave is if you try the experiment of using one rod with and one without. But you will have to do it over lots of sessions and you should really only use the same bait on both rods, and you must swap them over so that you don't always use the same method in your favourite spot. Shocked Shocked

Then you can write about your results and put them on www.pikeangler.co.uk Cool Cool

Whatever you do Dave, don't write it off based on a few comments on a forum. I haven't done the experiment so when I said I'm not sure how much extra pull you get from a pike bomb thats exactly what I mean. i.e. I AM NOT SURE either way.

If the groundbait gives you confidence then it is worth doing. Wink

I automatically reach for smelt when I go piking. Others will swear by Lamprey, or Mackeral, or Roach or, or, or, Laughing

Go with what you believe will work.

And good luck cheers

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:39 am

Andy Webster wrote:My idea of groundbaiting when pike fishing is putting in crumb and small pellets to attract the shoal fish.

A lamprey or smelt has enough attraction on its own as has been proved countless times so I'm not sure how much extra pull you get from a pike bomb.

A long term experiment would be need to prove either way.

Andy

seconded loads of bait fish with a big easy meal in the middle simple What a Face
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:50 pm

There's another thread somewhere covering this extensively.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum