PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River tactics?

3 posters

Go down

River tactics? Empty River tactics?

Post  wayne the pain Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 am

Well thinking of trying a local river for pike for the first time.Meaning i have fished for pike before, but not on a river, anyhow which do you think would be best, ledgered baits and sitting it out, or trotting deadbaits and keep moving swims? Any help appreciated Wink
wayne the pain
wayne the pain

Back to top Go down

River tactics? Empty river pike

Post  bigchris Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:48 am

unless you know about a hotspot for pike on the river,id take a roaving approach.give each swim alf hour or so then move on to another,try find all the usual features which may hold pike lillie pads trees .bends in rivers.you know the sort of stuff.wouldnt hurt to have a spinning rod with you as well whilst youre baits soaking have ago with that.makes the time pass a lot better aswell pirat

bigchris

Back to top Go down

River tactics? Empty Re: River tactics?

Post  Lefty Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:42 pm

I agree with chris.

Even if I know that a swim usually produces the goods, I will always be prepared to try every trick in the book.

You know the usual stuff: in the margins, under trees and bushes, in the mid section where it's deeper (cold weather tactic especially), trotting, on any shelves or changes of depth, wobbling, spinning.

But don't forget, as chris said, to keep mobile until you have fished the stretch a few times and can then find out where the fish hold up on a regular basis and then you know where to target them.

All the best, matey.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

River tactics? Empty Re: River tactics?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum