PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

multiplier/baitcaster

5 posters

Go down

multiplier/baitcaster Empty multiplier/baitcaster

Post  Lefty Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 pm

I've tried using one before but to no avail. Couldn't stop the dreaded bird's nests so looked on the web for advice which reduced the birds nests but got no distance so I sold the bloody thing.

That was just a cheapo shakespeare jobbie. Just recently I've been thinking of giving them another try.

I've been looking at Abu Garcia ones and have narrowed it down to either a BLACKMAX-L, a 5501 or a 4601. I don't need a load of line to go on as the venues I go to aren't massive. Also being smaller they should cut down on weight which can only be an advantage when out for a full day.

I know that the 5501 and 4601 will be rebuildable so as they last for many years and can be pimped but know very little about the MAX and if spares availability is the same as the other 2.

Can anybody offer good advice to someone who has once given up on baitcasters regarding these three reels.

Which would be more suited to my very limited experience?

Thanks in advance peeps.

Last edited by Lefty on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

multiplier/baitcaster Empty Re: multiplier/baitcaster

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Lefty, I've just answered Dave on the same subject but I just had a few shandies. If you bear with me tomorrow, I'll get on it when I've got a clearer head OK mate.

.....Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:08 pm

I've used multipliers many times when sea fishing and was shown how to apply the old thumb-break when the weight (or lure in this case for you) is about a foot away from hitting the drink...

It really is just about keeping in touch with the end gear and watching it the whole way out during the cast...

The only reason a birds nest occurs is when the lure/bomb etc hits the water and the reel keeps spinning, there's no other reason...

Get the breaking right and you'll avoid the dreaded nest, even with cheap reels...

I am toying with the idea of one myself, with one of those tiny yankee bass rods, so please let me know your findings...

Cheers,
Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 pm

I am very tempted to buy a multiplier for lure fishing too although the small "coffee grinder" I use is ok, it is making some funny noises. I guess they aren't built to withstand repeated use. Will a multiplier be better lasting?

Regards

Andy Webster
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:46 am

A modern purpose built multi will, as I say, I'd be tempted to look at the USA brands that they use for large mouth bass, they take some serious beating...

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 pm

I'd go for a 5601 for lighter work or a UC 6501 C3 for heavier work. I use both and they're basically bombproof.

In fact, I could save you a lot of time with a simple link. This site explains everything you'll ever need to know about multipliers for lure fishing.

Click HERE for Dave Lumb's Ambassadeur site
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm

As a right hander, do I want a left hand reel? scratch

It's a bit consusing study

Regards

Andy Webster
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes Andy. In the case of Abu Ambassadeurs, you can tell RHWs (Right Hand Winds) and LHWs (Left Hand Winds) apart by the last 2 digits on the reel name. A 6500 would be a RHW and the 6501 would be a LHW. Basically the 01 part indicates a LHW.
I'm right-handed too and so, I prefer to hold my rod with my stronger, more dexterous right-hand and I wind with my left-hand. Therefore my reels are the 5601 and the 6501. A left-handed angler would probably use the equivalent 5600 and the 6500.
It's very confusing I know. In days gone by, almost all multipliers were RHWs but in recent years reel manufacturers have realised their 'mistake' and now they cater for the majority right-handers.
Again, Dave Lumb explains this better than I could.

Click HERE for LHW explanation
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Just to chuck in some confusion: I'm left handed and need LHW reels cos I wind with my left hand Very Happy

I think this is down to my old man showing me how to fish as a nipper and he was right handed.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 pm

I could make this simpler. What hand do you normally wind with when using a fixed-spool? The left? In that case, you want a LHW multiplier.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah, that's correct Andy.

I thought I was on the right track, that's why I mentioned the '01' reels.

I think I'm going to plump for the 4601.

I just need to convince the missus that I need a new reel and a rod to go with it.

Wish me luck Very Happy
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 am

just a qiuck one bear in mind multis need far more tlc than a fixed spool ever would

all the bearings are exposed so you will need to clean and lube them often

always remember to back the drag off when youve finished (in all honesty i have no idea why you should its one of those rules that seems to be ever present)

if anyone finds one with a heated side plate please let me know as fishing with multis makes your hands far colder and wetter than it does with a fs
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:05 pm

The 2 drag washers are ( - shaped. I think they're put in like this...) ( or is it ( )....I can never remember but they get flattened if you leave the drag jammed up tight when not in use. If you back off the drag they retain their shape longer.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:11 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:The 2 drag washers are ( - shaped. I think they're put in like this...) ( or is it ( )....I can never remember but they get flattened if you leave the drag jammed up tight when not in use. If you back off the drag they retain their shape longer.

cheers so when i stripped the drag i may of inadvertantly out em back in wrong

sod wonder if it ll make any difference
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JOEL Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:48 pm

i have all my abu's serviced with peter coogan the abu surgeon general.keeps reels bang on.
JOEL
JOEL

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:31 pm

I'm pretty sure Dave Lumb once said it makes no difference what way round the washers go because there's a flat washer on each side of the ( - shaped washers. As long as they act a a spring, I doubt it matters much. |( )| way or |) (| way but not |( (| way or |) )| way. I'd be more inclined to think it would be |) (| way mind you.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down