PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW TO PIKE FISHING

4 posters

Go down

NEW TO PIKE FISHING Empty NEW TO PIKE FISHING

Post  Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:58 pm

HI , I WONDER IF ANYONE CAN ASSIST ME . I AM NEW TO PIKE FISHING AND JUST WONDERING WHAT TYPE OF RODS REELS AND OTHER BITS AND PIECES I WILL REQUIRE TO GIVE IT A GO.
I HAVE A BACKGROUND IN MAINLY SEA FISHING AND A LITTLE COARSE FISHING.THANKS

Back to top Go down

NEW TO PIKE FISHING Empty Re: NEW TO PIKE FISHING

Post  nickcarpy Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:05 am

depends on waters you are fishing?canals/drains i would use 2.75 tc,same on smaller waters..big pits ,ress ect 3lb/3.5tc.Reels need at least 12 to 18 lb line again if its not weedy/snaggy you could get away with 12lb but i would allways use at least 15lb mono,then there is braid if your budget allows but that will last two seasons....But the most important bit of tackle is unhooking gear!you need a good pair of LONG NOSE FORCEPS,a short pair,wire cutters and a good unhooking mat.And a decent landing net around 42 inch.If possible find someone who is a vetern and can show you the ropes,join your local pac club ect...good luck in your quest for esox and ask away if anymore questions Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Where abouts are you? You might be able to hook up with someone to help you get started.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

NEW TO PIKE FISHING Empty :)

Post  Razvan Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Dear kee1, WELCOME to wonderful world of Essox FISHING Smile

For this, youre necesary it is:

RODS -> 2,75 - 3 lbs TC / 12"
REELS -> size/class 4000 - 6000 with baitrunner system + 15 lb monofilament on (e.g. FOX Soft Steel)
TREBLEHOOKS: size #4 - 6 - 8 OR SINGLEHOOK: size 1 - 2
+ accessories for fishing, like SWIWELS, FLOATS, etc.

...&.. RESPECT for nature and other fishermen. Good luck mate !!!
Razvan
Razvan

Back to top Go down

Post  ginger321 Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 pm

when I started pike fishing in my distant teens i used carp rods to begin with. I got my first one for about twenty quid was a leeda 2.5lb test curve and i got a shimano alivio 3 lb test curve rod just to get started with. My bite alarms were about a tenner each. You dont need to break the bank. Ebays a good source for tackle.
As has been said though wire traces, at least 15lb line, long nose forceps, side cutters, unhooking mat and landing net are a must. Tryn get that tackle before you go then if you get into it which you will you can upgrade to proper pike rods etc as you go.
Old essox might look scary but he's very fragile.
Best join a club and 'hook up' Rolling Eyes sorry with guys that can show u the ropes.
ginger321
ginger321

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum