PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Popping up deadbaits?

4 posters

Go down

Popping up deadbaits? Empty Popping up deadbaits?

Post  pikey Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone pop up their deadbaits other than over weed or do you just lay them on the deck?

What would be the best situations/advantages to pop them up, would it be just over weed or is it a personal choice?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
pikey
pikey

Back to top Go down

Popping up deadbaits? Empty Re: Popping up deadbaits?

Post  stubbo Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:31 pm

i pop them up even if theres no weed its another presentation that seems to work more times than not i like it about 6 inches of the bottom ....Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:24 pm

I think every Piker likes to have at least one bait Popped up, I like to use the double float system myself and i have great results with pop-ups
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I am fairly sure a popped up bait attracts a Pikes attention faster than a static dead alone, Pike use visual stimulas a lot, so seeing their food is a real bonus. Popups all the way Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm

lowdouble wrote:I am fairly sure a popped up bait attracts a Pikes attention faster than a static dead alone, Pike use visual stimulas a lot, so seeing their food is a real bonus. Popups all the way Very Happy
i normally fish one of my rods with a popped up bait and it nearly always delivers.....
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:51 am

So other than the weed problem it is an extra presentation and a confidence booster. I will try it on one of my rods next time i'm out. If I use an 18" trace when using a popped up bait then is the bait gonna rise 18" and will putting the pop up putty on the trace six inches from the last treble make the bait pop up six inches off the bottom?
Thanks for the advice.
pikey
pikey

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:14 pm

The best way to know what the presentation looks like is to drop the rig in the margins and have a look for yourself. I sometimes use traces 24" long so the bait is well off the bottom. Tighten down tight to a 4oz lead and use a very bouyant popped bait, and then release a couple of inches in slack line so there is a visual indication on the odd chance of a drop back bite when the pike takes the bait.
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum