PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score?

+3
adie1200
skaman
Meister
7 posters

Go down

Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score? Empty Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score?

Post  Meister Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:12 am

Quick question for West of Scotland members or anyone in the know: Does Harelaw allow pike anglers on these days and is it fly only? I know that the fishery changed hands and the new owner (Alex?) has previously posted pics on fly fishing forums of pike and carp he's caught (think on the fly but can't recall section on forum) and mention was made of allowing limited access and boat and bank prices were quoted. Any info' would be appreciated...

Also any info' on dead-baiting would also be appreciated; but I'm guessing not allowed.

If rumours are true, and bearing in mind the previous owner could bull**** for Scotland and had suggested that he'd eradicated pike (this is quite a good sized dam btw so HTF he managed that was a mystery), the present owner apparently jealously guards his pike and is choosy about who gets to fish for them. Rather than cold calling a quick heads up on the current position would be appreciated.

Finally, I've also heard that the present owner also owns Snypes dam and that it has a similar head of fish; you'll have guessed my next questions.... As they say, if you don't ask!

Meister

Back to top Go down

Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score? Empty Re: Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score?

Post  skaman Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 am

Meister wrote: the present owner apparently jealously guards his pike and is choosy about who gets to fish for them.

You answered it for yourself mate.

Heard someone else will be running it as a trout fishery from the start of this season so don't know if he will be doing pike permits.
skaman
skaman

Back to top Go down

Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score? Empty Re: Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score?

Post  Meister Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 am

skaman wrote:
Meister wrote: the present owner apparently jealously guards his pike and is choosy about who gets to fish for them.

You answered it for yourself mate.

Heard someone else will be running it as a trout fishery from the start of this season so don't know if he will be doing pike permits.

Ta for the response. I kinda had an idea that this might be the case but can remember PAAS members (think a few years ago at a meeting) suggesting that pike anglers might be able to get on by arrangement. In a way I can appreciate his position. I regularly fish Castle Semple with my son and we've seen fish stocks and sizes fall away over the past few years; and not all the fault of those who take fish for the table, you still come across the odd dead jack floating on the surface with hooks still in and line that's been cut. Just poor, no make that sh***, fishing practice IMO.

Out of interest, unusual pseud for a fishing forum, are you a mate of Gary Anderson's by any chance? (Mate of mine who runs a ska night every month in Glasgow. Not many of us about; although Gary's nights can be busy with a few regular faces and normally a healthy squad up from Kilbirnie / Irvine.)

Cheers

Meister

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Please read before replying here >>>> Link

Thank you Wink Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score? Empty Apologies Adie but...

Post  Meister Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 pm

adie1200 wrote:Please read before replying here >>>> Link

Thank you Wink Very Happy Very Happy

No problem Adie, this was more of a "are pike anglers allowed on the water" post and followed the guidance in your link at: "Threads requesting general information about venues / waters are allowed at the discretion of the moderator e.g. day ticket costs, directions, Forum fish-ins." I fully appreciate the dangers of naming venues, catches, swims etc.

Fact is that if you had the guts to fish this water without property authority you'd probably end up taking your knackers home in your bait box :afraid: and, in a way, I support this 'let's look after what's important' approach. What I couldn't remember was what PAAS had agreed or if, indeed, there was an agreement. But bottom line is that I wouldn't go anywhere near this place without contacting the owner first - confirm cost and rules etc. (Apologies also if I'm making out that he's some kind of nut job. Apparently a nicer bloke you couldn't meet; and I've heard this from various mates who've gamefished on a day ticket.)

Anyway, apologies for any confusion caused... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  skaman Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

PM sent regard'n de ska Arrow Arrow Arrow
skaman
skaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:01 am

Unless you know Alex personally, I wouldn't ask and I definitely wouldn't suggest guesting on his waters either. He does let certain people fish his waters but he's been burned in the past and for the that reason, he's very much a closed shop.

I tried the Snypes when it was last lowered on Alex's permission and I didn't catch a thing. Mind you, it was pretty horrible.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Unless you know Alex personally, I wouldn't ask and I definitely wouldn't suggest guesting on his waters either. He does let certain people fish his waters but he's been burned in the past and for the that reason, he's very much a closed shop.

I tried the Snypes when it was last lowered on Alex's permission and I didn't catch a thing. Mind you, it was pretty horrible.

Andy

Thanks for message; this is the consistent message I've been getting from a number of people on this forum and in the street. I actually went a drive up to the fishery yesterday but it was closed - word is that it might be changing hands. TBH, I've never fished anywhere without permission (even as a wean) and I'm not going to start - way too feart!

I've fished both Harelaw and Snypes for trout in the past and especially enjoyed my time on Harelaw - nice big piece of water and I've had loads of sessions on it; plus it's reasonably close to home. You'll have seen my comments re the PAAS approach but I can't remember the outcome. I'm no longer a member so don't feel I can really ask anyone. (Suppose I could always get the finger out and re-join! Decisions decisions.)

A few mates have said they'd contact Alex and put in a word for me but TBH Scotland is full of waters this size so I've said don't bother - it's just finding out what ones are holding fish of a decent size; or indeed any fish! You'll be aware that some waters have been plundered of late.... I'll say no more on that one.

All the best and thanks to the others for their PMs.

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:17 pm

I've only fly fished the Snypes for the Rainbows but I did read on their website about a pike weekend being organised but as to whether it came to anything is another matter?

As for the numbers and sizes of pike I did see plenty of wee pike moving about in the shallows along with roach and perch so there are still a head of fish available.

There are also supposed to be some carp in the loch as I think at one point they were going to turn the Snypes into a course fishery many years ago.

There was also talk of someone else wanting to take over the running of the venue as well but not sure the current owner was that keen on giving up the water but then again this was all rumour.

Sadly there are places where many people still see pike as a nuisance fish in their waters rather than as a benefit and quite happily kill them if they get the chance.

I have tried Castle Semple myself but didn't have much joy although I think most of the anglers were East Europeans out fishing for their tea. Its the same situation at the Barrhead Dams with people catching and killing the stocks of roach and perch so that they can make a pie!!!

I'm not sure how some of the local canals are fishing but these might be alternative plus Loch Fad and Venachar always publicise the quality pike fishing on their websites.

All the best

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm

I've also heard the rumour about the fishery changing hands and might make some enquiries via PAAS contacts as I know they were trying to secure access a few years back; but as I've said, not sure if they were chased.

The mighty Castle Semple is not what it once and appears to have been emptied. But TBH, the wardens do little to check if those fishing have permits and I guess therein lies the problem. I also think that the members of the clubs whose rivers run in and out of the loch are happy to keep the pike munchers on the loch and off their river; I guess for obvious reasons! The last thing they'd want is for their precious broonies, sea trout and salmon to be going the way of the pike.

Another problem with the Eastern Europeans is that they also seem to come along with various urban myths attached e.g. last week a guy on Semple said he'd seen one such visitor with a bag of roach and at our last fishing club AGM a guy stood up and said that he'd a picture of an Eastern visitor with a 30lb + pike taken from the river; plus another two 20lb fish. All apparently slaughtered on the one day. Fact is, I've been fishing this water for years - river and loch - and have only seen one roach which was accidentally killed when a club working party was clearing lilies. No one else I know has caught one in the past ten years or more. As for the big pike, well the members phone had been left at home (how convenient) so the picture(s) couldn't been shown. But who knows, maybe they're more skilled than your average local angler. (I realise I've probably just teed myself up there What a Face !!)

Last edited by Meister on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : .)

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Just read that the Synpes is only open at the weekend now.

Maybe worth checking on their pike fishing rules as there are a few good pike spots on the loch.

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm

raf1870 wrote:Just read that the Synpes is only open at the weekend now.

Maybe worth checking on their pike fishing rules as there are a few good pike spots on the loch.

Cheers mate, will do Very Happy

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Meister wrote: Fact is, I've been fishing this water for years - river and loch - and have only seen one roach which was accidentally killed when a club working party was clearing lilies. No one else I know has caught one in the past ten years or more.

Loads of roach in there mate. I did tend to get them more up the road end mind you, alongside the jetties and such.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
Meister wrote: Fact is, I've been fishing this water for years - river and loch - and have only seen one roach which was accidentally killed when a club working party was clearing lilies. No one else I know has caught one in the past ten years or more.

Loads of roach in there mate. I did tend to get them more up the road end mind you, alongside the jetties and such.

Cheers Andy, it was the mother river I was talking about; but good to know that there are roach about. Without giving swims away (are there any left) I tend to stick to the top end of the loch and have caught plenty perch plus the occasional good sized broonie.

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm

syndicate is on the cards
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 pm

noodle wrote:syndicate is on the cards

So I've heard; but I gather there's a fair bit of interest so you'd better be quick! Wink Lovely big stretch of water that is well looked after and where pike are cherished, can you ask for anything more.

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Meister wrote:

So I've heard; but I gather there's a fair bit of interest so you'd better be quick! Wink Lovely big stretch of water that is well looked after and where pike are cherished, can you ask for anything more.

it being closer to me perhaps

certainly not in the wastelands of the tartan lot Razz
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:51 pm

noodle wrote:
Meister wrote:

it being closer to me perhaps

certainly not in the wastelands of the tartan lot Razz

Aye but give it time and the Scottish Government will be charging you for crossing the border. So best to keep your passport up to date and research Scottish history - word on the street is you'll be asked questions and refused entry if you don't know what the Krankies get up to in their spare time. Very Happy

Meister

Back to top Go down

Harelaw Dam: anyone know the score? Empty Harelaw- Moyne moor predator syndicate

Post  harelawhenry Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi guys, came acroos this thread on the net and joined in order to reply.

I am still in control at Harelaw and you are correct that there is a private winter syndicate now operating there. Bobby Watson runs the trout fishing from march to october and the winters are for the pikers. Harelaw is fast becoming one of the best pike fisheries in scotland and will only get better due to the angling pressure being kept to the minimum with limited rods at all times no piking between april and september and a plentiful supply of trout roach perch and other prey fish. I see someone thinks im a nutter that made me chuckle, yes i have my moments and dont suffer fools but the quality of the fishing is my priority and i'll manage that on my own terms (it works). There are 20 places per winter which allows members use of facilities toilets safe secure parking boats and islands for bivvying. Members will also be allocated a day in may for lure only boat fishing. I am easy to get in touch with and can be emailed or phoned. pm me for details.

I appreciate anyone reading this reply.

regards
Alex Cairnie

harelawhenry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum