PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Waters

+2
adie1200
McPikey
6 posters

Go down

Scottish Waters Empty Scottish Waters

Post  McPikey Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Hey Folks.
I have been having my longest run of blanks ever and am sick of loch venechar and loch achray.
Anybody got any recommendations for pike waters within an hour or twos drive of Falkirk
McPikey

McPikey

http://www.how-to-fish-for-pike.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Scottish Waters Empty Re: Scottish Waters

Post  adie1200 Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:10 pm

Replys by PM please Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:11 pm

i beleive mariners is a tough venue to get a pike from

lol!
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 pm

McPikey wrote:Hey Folks.
I have been having my longest run of blanks ever and am sick of loch venechar and loch achray.
Anybody got any recommendations for pike waters within an hour or twos drive of Falkirk
McPikey

Thanks for your post mate, we were talking about going up there later this week. This will save us some petrol; although the scenery is nice this time of year! Very Happy If it's any consolation, not much happening on the Renfrewshire / Ayrshire border. Keep you posted if things change and will PM you.

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  McPikey Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 am

Thanks Meister
Likewise. There's plenty pics of monsters, but the guys I talk to week in week out aren't getting them. Access is quite difficult so the car parks get hammered. But you're right, the scenery is stunning. We always remind ourselves to cheers us up after another blank.
McP

McPikey

Back to top Go down

Post  Meister Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am

McPikey wrote:Thanks Meister
Likewise. There's plenty pics of monsters, but the guys I talk to week in week out aren't getting them. Access is quite difficult so the car parks get hammered. But you're right, the scenery is stunning. We always remind ourselves to cheers us up after another blank.
McP

Thanks for your post and hate to say it... but I'm still tempted to go up there next week. I still have this gut feeling that there's a 20lb'er ready to tug at my line. We live in hope Very Happy Then again there's always Loch **** Awe; where I famously blanked for a whole week but saw the biggest pike I've ever seen in my life when wading to fish for trout!

Anyway, hope you have some luck soon. Tight lines mate...

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I would give Loch '****' Awe a miss until August.

I went to Awe last year for a few days and tried everything but dynamite.

However, at the time there was a problem with the water. Not sure if there had been chemical run off or something but you couldn't drink any of the local water.

Although we had been given good advice by many of the locals they had mentioned that the loch was fishing really bad and that the trout fishing was also dire as well.

I think I saw two fish rise the few days I was there which came as a surprise to the locals as they hadn't seen anything for weeks.

I need to get the pike gear back out myself but if Venachar and the like are not fishing that great just now I think I will stick to fly fishing for now for stockies... Smile

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  McPikey Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm

"hate to say it... but I'm still tempted to go up there next week. I still have this gut feeling that there's a 20lb'er ready to tug at my line. We live in hope "

That's fishing mate, you should go. The fish are in there. Just waiting for the right angler to pull them out.
The boats are out of action for another fortnight or so, but I'm thinking that might be the winning strategy up there.

McPikey

Back to top Go down

Post  McPikey Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Raf
I was just thinking about cracking out my fly rod myself. I've been stranded at home without the car and it's an absolutely gorgeous day. Would be a great day to have fresh trout for dinner.

McPikey

Back to top Go down

Scottish Waters Empty Tuesday is full of promise...

Post  Meister Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Weather-wise Tuesday is looking good - well not so freckin cold and windy. But take it as read I'll be casting a line somewhere. Whether or not the landing net gets wet is another matter!

Keep you all posted.

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:57 pm

If your going to get the fly rod out I would give most of the fisheries a phone as the only one that wasn't frozen on Sunday was Arran View but they were shoulder to shoulder so gave that a body swerve.

A place worth trying out though is Craufurdland Estate as it has loyalty tickets which after 5 sessions get you a freebie.

However, it was frozen over on Sunday, as was the Synpes and Cowans Law.

http://craufurdland.co.uk/fisheries/

If you can recommend any other places let me know.

Cheers

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  skaman Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:13 pm

The New Haylie is 1 of if not the best small water trout fishery on the west coast and is run to the highest standard, full of fine trout that are keen to take a dry in most conditions.
It is usually kept ice free as there is someone on site 24/7/365.
If you've not fished it then your missing out.......BIG TIME !!! Wink
skaman
skaman

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Don't forget we have a no naming venue policy on here lads Shocked
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Adie

These are Rainbow Trout Fisheries not pike waters.

Never tried the Haylie Skaman but it does always get good reports in the Scottish Suns weekly fishery report.

I will see if I can twist my old man to give it a go later in the year.

Have you ever tried Linlithgow Loch for the rainbows as I hear that can be pretty good?

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  skaman Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:47 pm

It's awesome mate, I fish comps with a few of the guys who work there and I've fished it a few times.

It's a non proffit making comunity run kind of thing and has loads of great trout in it.

Like a few others it's hard to get a boat at the weekend so would book well in advance or go mid-week.

Stuart
skaman
skaman

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Cheers Skaman

Will organise a mid week trip on the loch this season at some point.

What lines do you recommend and is it a buzzer or lure water?

How do you go about getting a general fly fishing forum added for either pike or trout?

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  skaman Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 pm

It is like most waters and could require floater through to the Di7 but floater with dries or nymphs is more enjoyable IMHO
and learned a leason a couple of years back about switching from nymphs over to lures.
It was a club comp and a 6 fish limit, I had 5 fish in 45mins on nymphs and then nothing for hours then in the last half hour switched to lures and a Di5 with loads of interest, sadly no more fish but will not hang about in changing from nymphs to lures as previously would have only switched from lures to more natural nymphs etc. (just didn't think it would have worked switching from natural to lure Rolling Eyes )
It's also the only place I've been smashed using 10lb Airflo G3 flurocarbon when fishing nymphs affraid

Drop me a P.M. when your going as I know most of the guys that work there and could find out what and where's doing the damage. Wink

Stuart
skaman
skaman

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 am

Cheers Stuart.

Only got into fly fishing in the past 9 months or so so still on a steep learning curve regards casting etc. and always looking out for new venues to try.

If nymphs seem to be the job I have one of those midge tip lines which I need to try out so maybe this is the venue to try it out on.

I have a sinking line but I have no idea what it as rated as regards sink rate as it came as a freebie when I bought an intermediate line.

I have heard that 12LB is the minimum recommended breaking strain so by the sounds of it I better stock up on some Smile .

Hopefully I can manage out this weekend onto a fishery to try out the modifications I have made to my 'bung' system.

Tight lines mate and I will pop you a message closer to the time when heading to Linlithgow.

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down