PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where to fish?

4 posters

Go down

where to fish? Empty where to fish?

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:05 pm

evening gents/ladies if present, im going out on saturday to spot on a canal where its nice and easy to catch lives and when using the lives its always deadly there, but on all the times i go there the size of the pike are very much the same between 5pound and 10pound,do you think i should continue trying my luck for bigger fish? or do you think going to a new spot will produce better? Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

where to fish? Empty Re: where to fish?

Post  matt859 Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:52 pm

try somewhere else Tom, sounds to me like your catching all the smaller Male fish. The big girls will be elsewhere. Bit like a club really the lads will all be at the bar drinking and chatting and the girls will be sitting at a table chatting about handbags and shoes, then later on when the beers have been flowing the lads will start showing off and posturing to impress the girls. The big girls will wait till the fighting is over before choosing the strongest mate to give her a knee trembler behind the bins at the side of the club. Or in this case the big girls are hanging about in the warmer water near the weeds waiting for the jacks to posture and fight, while they deposit a few thousand eggs to stick on the weeds. The stronger jacks will dive in splash their milt and then sod off before the Pikelet support agency catch up with them.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  barbels1 Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Tom, I think you're in Hants? The Stour and Hampshire Avon have big fish, one famous stretch of the Avon does a 30 each year.Pm if you want details on Avon. Haven't fished the Stour yet, but I've heard good things. Big pike generally come from waters that have migratory fish i.e slamon or stocked waters i.e. trout waters. In essence there is a bigger biomass than a water would naturally sustain. Canals generally are full of smaller fish although you will get the odd bigger fish.
barbels1
barbels1

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:07 pm

cheers for the info guys ye matt sounds like a saturday night Laughing , ye barbels some info on the avon would handy thanks mate Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 pm

haha got to love the way you explained that matt Smile when is spawning?? i know its soon but not exactly sure when tho.
drew321
drew321

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 pm

im pretty sure they spawn in march april time....i think Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 pm

does that depend on the weather tom?? and they spawn in shallow waters rite?? what do you think the best thing is deadbait or top lures and spinners??

hard choices lmfao
drew321
drew321

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 pm

errrrrrrr not sure about the weather think the eggs like sunlight and i tink they can spawn in very shallow water, and for lures or deads i personally like deads iv always caught bigger of deads although i know lots of people who catch big of lures but im mainly using live baits at the moment, the waters i fish i could have a dead out all day and not get anything but then put a livvie out and catch within a matter of minutes!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 pm

hit and miss with lures then and some of the waters i fish do allow live baiting but i cant seem to catch them, and on the waters im not aloud to live bait i can catch loads of roach lol sods law i suppose but i definatly cant wait for the spawn as im still waiting for a big fish lol
drew321
drew321

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum