PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just starting out for the TAZ

+3
drew321
adie1200
matt859
7 posters

Go down

just starting out for the TAZ  Empty just starting out for the TAZ

Post  matt859 Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi guys just seen Taz's question in the welcomes bit of the forum but thought it was in the wrong place and the answers would get lost amongst the welcomes.

What kit to get

well you have the rods reels and alarms and more importantly an unhooking mat.

what next

Un hooking tools, long forceps, wire/side cutters and some long nose pliars as an absolute minimum
strong mono for your reels 20 lb bs at least (there is no excuse for using lighter lines for piking)
plasters and a small first aid kit

more wire traces or trace making bits

there will be other members on later to add to my list and im sure somewhere along he thread you will be advised to join the PAC in order to learn how to handle an unhook a pike correctly, this is not a legal requirement and I am not a member and yet I know how to do it. Very Happy
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

just starting out for the TAZ  Empty Re: just starting out for the TAZ

Post  adie1200 Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:35 pm

The PAC site is a wealth of information for new and old pikers Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:35 pm

don't forget them gloves if you haven't got got the confidence unhooking pike and a large landing net.
i don't take a 1st aid kit adie i just take anti bacterial hand wash and wash every cut out with that.
but it does help to use barb-less hooks. especially when when unhooking deep hooked pike.
which reminds me i have to flatten all the barbs on my lures for the weekend Sad
drew321
drew321

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:15 pm

drew321 wrote:don't forget them gloves if you haven't got got the confidence unhooking pike and a large landing net.
i don't take a 1st aid kit adie i just take anti bacterial hand wash and wash every cut out with that.
but it does help to use barb-less hooks. especially when when unhooking deep hooked pike.
which reminds me i have to flatten all the barbs on my lures for the weekend Sad

DONT DO IT

barbless trebles and lures are a nightmare the rigid body allows the pike to lever itself so you end up with hooks that pop out and back in making more holes and stitching themselves up.#

just buy some decent cutters and if the fishery has a barbless rule either ignore it or fish somewhere else
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:17 pm

why do you need gloves?

ok one of the hexarmour types for hand landing fish with big trebles is a good idea but ive never understood the glove thing
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Have to agree, you will lose a lot of fish if you flatten the barbs on your lures and as long as you carry plenty of spare hooks it's easy to chop up an awkwardly placed hook and replace it.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:22 pm

noodle and eric are absolutely right.... squashing barbs on lures is a big no no because of the damage it causes
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:39 am

Go with someone till you have confidance to handle and unhook a pike correctley.

If you learn to chin a pike it is far better than a landing net ? and most tend to open wide while been chined assisting in removing hooks.

Dont crush barbs dose more harm than good ?

Glove reduce feeling try eating dinner with a pair on the fingers of you hand will slip striaght into the pikes jaw as if it had an handle waiting for your fingers but with gloves on you will never feel it and never have the confidance to take them off ? Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 pm

kell wrote:Go with someone till you have confidance to handle and unhook a pike correctley.

If you learn to chin a pike it is far better than a landing net ? and most tend to open wide while been chined assisting in removing hooks.

Dont crush barbs dose more harm than good ?

Glove reduce feeling try eating dinner with a pair on the fingers of you hand will slip striaght into the pikes jaw as if it had an handle waiting for your fingers but with gloves on you will never feel it and never have the confidance to take them off ? Very Happy

Try eating dinner after you have had a 5/0 treble through your thumb gloves at least certain gloves have a place
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum