PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lure fishing in coloured water

5 posters

Go down

lure fishing in coloured water Empty lure fishing in coloured water

Post  plantsbrook Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I prefer to lure fish most of the time, (mainly because i'm impatient and like a wander with the rod). But i really struggle with coloured water, i really only feel like i will catch when the water has reasonable visibility, i know it might just be a little mental block but i just cannot bring myself to put the effort in when the water is coloured

am i just getting caught up with my own prejudice to this? does anyone else have any joy in coloured water?

edit: i once fished a lake that was fed with a stream one end, during heavy rain the stream had coloured half the lake, i fished the ever decreasing 'clear' area, and i had a good day - i am confident the fish were avoiding the coloured water...
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

Back to top Go down

lure fishing in coloured water Empty Re: lure fishing in coloured water

Post  blacky99 Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Rattling and bright lures are an obvious advantage when the water colour is chocolatey but im the same in that my confidence takes a slight knock if i turn up with lure gear and the water doesnt have much visibility. ive seen and heard of people catching when the waters like mud so using the lures i mentioned earlier i just do what i can to give me any advantage.
blacky99
blacky99

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm

It's hard. If the water's coloured I usually reach for the spinnerbaits and I have done ok with them but it depends on you putting the lure very close to the fish. Choose big spinnerbaits and be sure they are the ones with round or colorado spoons attached - don't go for the willowleaf ones they just aren't noisy enough.

I once had a day out on Chew the day after a ferocious storm and the water was so coloured you couldn't see more than three inches through it. I fished a big spinnerbait all day, scraping it along the bottom in eleven feet of water. After a couple of hours I got a bump but didn't hook the fish. I then cast to the same spot solidly for twenty minutes, during which time I had two more bumps before hooking a 24lb pike.
We moved a short distance and I went through the same procedure with an identical result, several bumps all in the one spot and then brought in a 23 pounder.

It's hard in coloured water but it's not impossible.

Last edited by Eric Edwards on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 am

Overnight colour in usually clear water is the kiss of death & makes lure fishing very difficult, pike just don't seem to want lures under those conditions?
Water that's been coloured for a while, or is usually coloured is not too bad. I'm quite happy to fish in those water conditions.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

Back to top Go down

Post  petestanley Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 am

I second what eric has said. I don't really fish any clear waters, mainly gravel pits, some like chocolate, and always do best on spinners or spinnerbaits, and to a lesser extent plugs with a pronounced side to side action, like a big S.
You do have to work swims quite a lot, with regular repeat casting, but it works. You could cast over the exact same area 20 times before a take. Just make sure you count the spinner down to different levels and mix up your retrieve.
petestanley
petestanley

http://www.northernpiker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum