PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!!

5 posters

Go down

Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!! Empty Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!!

Post  jonnycichla Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi guys can i have advice on line strenghths for trowing 50 to 120gram soft lures! was looking at the pro plus braid! Trouble is that its not listed in IBS and in kg whots the best you think guys!!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!! Empty Re: Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!!

Post  stubbo Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:51 pm

jonnycichla wrote:Hi guys can i have advice on line strenghths for trowing 50 to 120gram soft lures! was looking at the pro plus braid! Trouble is that its not listed in IBS and in kg whots the best you think guys!!

just bought some 40 kg power pro for my jerk bait rod casts like a dream pal highly reccomended Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!! Empty Re: Best braid strenghth for 50 to 120gram lures!!

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am

0.40 mm or a bit above I use up to 0.50 mm stuff which is rated ovrr 100 lbs bs
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks guys for the info!! Is it ok to just wind on the spool or is there a special way to do this with braid guys!! Also are the Nots secure with pro plus braid!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 pm

jonnycichla wrote:Thanks guys for the info!! Is it ok to just wind on the spool or is there a special way to do this with braid guys!! Also are the Nots secure with pro plus braid!

stick a bit 10 ft or so of mono on 1st and the braid wont slip on the spool knots are fine usually. whats pro plus braid? id read it as power pro last night
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:55 pm

noodle wrote:
jonnycichla wrote:Thanks guys for the info!! Is it ok to just wind on the spool or is there a special way to do this with braid guys!! Also are the Nots secure with pro plus braid!

stick a bit 10 ft or so of mono on 1st and the braid wont slip on the spool knots are fine usually. whats pro plus braid? id read it as power pro last night
Thanks buddy! will put some mono on first then to stop slipping!! It is power pro dude!! your right mate!!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 pm

stubbo wrote:
jonnycichla wrote:Hi guys can i have advice on line strenghths for trowing 50 to 120gram soft lures! was looking at the pro plus braid! Trouble is that its not listed in IBS and in kg whots the best you think guys!!

just bought some 40 kg power pro for my jerk bait rod casts like a dream pal highly reccomended Very Happy
Thanks buddy! have looked on the Glasgow angling store website and only goes upto 24kg!! where you get the 40kg from buddy!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Google search theres loads mate Wink
Click on link below

Power pro

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm

adie1200 wrote:Google search theres loads mate Wink
Click on link below

Power pro

Adie
Have googled buddy! lots of help thanks!! Im thinking 100Ibs moss green! wich is diametre of 20Ibs mono!! Is this overkill for pike thow??

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:18 pm

No not really for 120 grams might be a bit overkill for 50gram lures though !

I don't use lures as big as noodle 120 grams is probably my average size lure and i use 65lb power pro which serves me well but then again i don't use lures a great deal !!

Noodle is really your man for this Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:46 pm

50 grams is getting on for two ounces, when your lumping bits of wood and plastic with a short stiff rod its easy to crack off (ive done it a few times) with lighter braid than with heaviers stuff, plus the bigger diameter is stronger so you have more chance of getting snagged stuff back, then add in the fact the diameter of the braid doesnt affect your casting when you use a multi in the way it would with a fixed spool

any reason not to use heavier stuff?
well yes there are tbh things like trolling if you want your lures to work a bit deeper then you would want finer braid and conversly if you want to keeo them up a bit you can use havier braid
at the heavier end then i would not go below 0.41mm power pro for casting, as ive said i use braids of 0.50mm for my jerks and tbh alos use the same braid for trolling and with the right lures i still hit the bottom at 30 foot and more.

i dont do lightweight when it comes to pike i really cannot see the point heavy braid isnt to play the fish on its to make sure you dont crack off or leave stuff in snags
as for the size of stuff i throw its not often i throw much more than 150 gm i have lures heavier but throwing them is a pain on my jerkbait rods i throw roughly 40-150 gm s on the same set ups. ok on the lightest rod which throws smaller stuff like melvins, db4's magnum long a's and other little jerks than im on 0.41mm stuff
next rod up is a dlst axiom 7013 that has 0.45mm penn on which was rated at 80lb, and the heaviest rod i use a dlst sledgehammer 1 i have 0.50mm braid on for trolling and throwing big stuff like giant chubbys from ace legend juniors big grandmas etc (not that ive been out on the boat in over a year) plus the biggest soft plastic stuff i have

if your thinking in terms of mono and 20lb concerns you try and think about it this way2 ounces of lure fits the age old adage of 10lb of bd for every ounce of lead
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Top post my friend! You said braid does"nt effect casting on multiplier reel? Iv never used multi reel and was going to buy a fixed spool"" is this no good for bigger soft lure casting??

im going to post new thread on the setup im looking at buddy!! Thanks for advice bud!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

jonnycichla wrote:Top post my friend! You said braid does"nt effect casting on multiplier reel? Iv never used multi reel and was going to buy a fixed spool"" is this no good for bigger soft lure casting??

im going to post new thread on the setup im looking at buddy!! Thanks for advice bud!

not really if ou put such heavy braid on a fixed spool you will only cast about twenty yards and possibly have loads of crack offs as the diameter will empty the spool very quickly
off to look at the other thread now
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 am

i have some 30lb braid on some of my fixed spools but they are for lighter lures but have 40kg on my multi for the heavier stuff.....depends what wieght lures your useing .........
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 am

jonnycichla wrote:Top post my friend! You said braid does"nt effect casting on multiplier reel? Iv never used multi reel and was going to buy a fixed spool"" is this no good for bigger soft lure casting??

Honestly mate, it's a chalk and cheese thing. A multi will cast further and stand up to far more abuse. Even just continuous casting (you'd be replacing bail-arm springs regularly) and working a biggish lure against a bail-arm would pretty much ruin it in a very short space of time and when a decent pike takes your lure, you really want a good bearing to take the brunt of the force, rather than a flimsy bail-arm/rotor setup.

It'll take you no time at all to get the hang of a multi and once you have, you'll be converted.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum