PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pike in Winter

5 posters

Go down

Pike in Winter Empty Pike in Winter

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:21 pm

What`s the reasons why I`m not catching any Pike this Winter, I`m fishing using same method as I use in Summer and fishing the same place and not getting any bites at all from them, cheers in advance, Deano

Back to top Go down

Pike in Winter Empty Re: Pike in Winter

Post  silkmen Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:16 pm

mate its the same old story for most of us this winter
the weather has been very very mild and wet
I have really struggled since November
don't take it to heart just persevere and you will catch
ive tried everything and still had huge blank after blank
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 pm

cheers mate,

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 am

not all of us have blanked  Twisted Evil  try fishing some new venues that are catching like waters that have plenty of pike in them for starters

caught a lot of pike this year but most been jacks but who cares as long as theres fish to show at the end
I put a few miles in pike fishing but most of the time it pays to move on new venues

mind you i did have a big fat blank on sunday on a trout water reputed to have some very big pike in there

ended up with 2 big rainbows instead on whole mackeral Very Happy 
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Pike in Winter Empty Re: pike

Post  Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello, I`m using pesanoster rig with live bate, It`s about 5/6 foot deep, I`m fishing my usual places where I know there`s Pike, My methods have never failed me before fishing for Pike untill about 3 months ago, I`ve not even had a single bite, totally baffled Me, :-(

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:40 pm

you say your fishing places where you know theres pike and yet you havent caught any. Are you sure there are any there to catch? Pike have fins and they swim. Just because they were there in the summer doesnt mean they are still there in the winter. Livebaits are great in the summer but deadbaits rule in the winter. Try a simple float ledgered bait with the head ripped off (more blood) and if you have no response move swims and give the next one a go for an hour. If you have the venue to yourself then you might be able to prebait a few different swims for later in the day.

Dont give up, keep trying and remember you cant catch pike sat in your living room.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Cheers Mat, I`ll try that, Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

try a lamprey on one rod too.i,ve found that lamprey will produce when others baits cant buy a bite. I used to fish a lot of pike matches and at this time of year it can be hard,so I constantly lure fish on one rod,its produce many a fish or 2 for me when other competitors have sat behind deadbait rods,resigned to not catching.just because your not catching doesn't ness mean there not there and if you keep whizzing a lure past em,eventually one will hit it.won many a match like that when the goings tough Wink 

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Cheers bud

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:36 am

deanobaggio69 wrote:Cheers bud
try smelts and small trout they work for me.... Very Happy and keep a few lures working inbetween your deads Shocked 
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  memacca Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Deano you say the blanks started about 3 months ago, think there's a pattern there mate considering all the bad weather started around then.  Don't be thinking your doing anything wrong, no two waters fish the same and during any inclement weather some throw up blank after blank until things settle and some still produce mate.  Winter piking can be and usually is hard work, especially on the rivers.  All my pike have come to dead baits both summer and winter as I don't live bait (through personal choice) and don't do lure fishing, but on some waters when the conditions have not been good they don't produce whatever you try. Like the lads have mentioned, adopt a roving tactic, don't spend any longer than an hour in a swim, try different baits and methods. If all else fails then try a different venue till things settle.....Keep at it and good luck mate.......
memacca
memacca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum