PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

home made gear

+3
Trevski
Ash morton
kev h
7 posters

Go down

home made gear  Empty home made gear

Post  kev h Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Has anyone tried making there own gear i fancy having a go at floats and maybe drop offs anyone got ideas on where to start cheers kev

kev h

Back to top Go down

home made gear  Empty Re: home made gear

Post  Ash morton Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Just found a pic of my homemade drop offs, I'm impressed with them but for some reason the upload pic things changed and host button seems to be missing
Ash morton
Ash morton

Back to top Go down

home made gear  Empty pencil floats

Post  Trevski Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Kev,
I make my own pencil floats, they are dead simple to make and cheap enough.

home made gear  Fromtr11

All you need are the following ;
7 or 8 inches of balsa dowel [ B&Q or similar ], 2x U shaped cable staples, 2x strong swivels and your chosen paint.

1. Paint the dowel with required colours. I use combinations of White, Orange, Red, Yellow and Black. I paint each dowel two colours so that I can reverse or swap them easily should the light conditions change. Don’t be tempted to rush it like I did, give the paint time to dry completely – it could take a few hours or even a day or so…[ I ended up with bright orange fingers! ]Shocked

2. Now for a fiddly bit, thread the swivels onto the cable staples before knocking them into each end of the dowel [ yes I did that too.. ].Shocked  Deep enough so that you know they are never coming out, I don’t trap the swivels against the dowel….. it’s just my preference. you should end up with something like this at each end..
home made gear  Fromtr13

3. You’re done, enjoy. cheers Cool
Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm

I've made a few mepp type spinners and some floats that are quite similar to Trevskis.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:06 pm

making your own gear is easy bud, a lot of the time it will be better quality than what you can buy. you can get some great tips by googling stuff or checking out you tube for the how toos, especially lure making.i do everything from traces to rods now! plus the kit you have will be different to everyone else on the bank. Very Happy

coops440

Back to top Go down

home made gear  Empty homemade

Post  Trevski Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 pm

coops440 wrote:making your own gear is easy bud, a lot of the time it will be better quality than what you can buy. you can get some great tips by googling stuff or checking out you tube for the how toos, especially lure making.i do everything from traces to rods now! plus the kit you have will be different to everyone else on the bank. Very Happy

Yep, have to agree coops.....satisfying too catching on your own gear....In the early days I started making stuff after a shop bought trace let me down in the middle of playing a fish Evil or Very Mad I'll never buy another....recently, I've changed from crimping to twisting.
Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 pm

could never get on with that twisting malarkey- crimps all the way for me, never had one fail yet too Smile

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:19 pm

coops440 wrote:Yep, have to agree coops.....satisfying too catching on your own gear....In the early days I started making stuff after a shop bought trace let me down in the middle of playing a fish  Evil or Very Mad  I'll never buy another....recently, I've changed from crimping to twisting.

So have I, prefer a twisted trace anyday cheers

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Idlepiker Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Always made my own traces, always used crimps never tried twisting.
Idlepiker
Idlepiker

Back to top Go down

home made gear  Empty twisting

Post  Trevski Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am

Idlepiker wrote:Always made my own traces, always used crimps never tried twisting.

Me too, however I watched a youtube video on it [ of which there are loads ] and picked up that the twisty tag end needs to be heated with a lighter first. After that it was 'simples' and they are super strong!! I have ultimate faith in twisting now .....won't go back!
Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum