PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ledger dead bait rig components **help**

+2
matt859
gazzua
6 posters

Go down

ledger dead bait rig components **help**  Empty ledger dead bait rig components **help**

Post  gazzua Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:31 am

getting back in to pike fishing soon and need to know

what size trebles to use my bait i'll be using with generally be 4in, 5in, 6in

what are the best cheap trebles to buy?

which trace wire?, the water i fish the pike go up to mid 20's

which crimps to use with the trace wire?

for the ledger part i through fox ledger stem with a 2oz lead?

i know its alot to ask but any information helps thanks santa

gazzua

Back to top Go down

ledger dead bait rig components **help**  Empty Re: ledger dead bait rig components **help**

Post  matt859 Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:05 pm

go for a size 8 or 6 trebles. Drennan 7 strand is a decent wire to use in 28lb bs. Don't crimp, twist instead its so much more betterer. There are no decent cheap trebles, there are decent trebles though and most tackle shops will sell them so don't scrimp a few pennies on your traces or bait.

why do you need to use a fox stem?

oh and welcome to the forum.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

ledger dead bait rig components **help**  Empty Re: ledger dead bait rig components **help**

Post  gazzua Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm

right ill get a pack of 6 and 8s which trebles do you use yourself?

drennan 7 stand 28lb

and for the fox stems the lake i fish has alot of tree foliage and will be poping the bait of the deck

gazzua

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:02 pm

both, that's why I said it...

you can use a simple sliding rig and simply pop the bait off the deck. It doesn't matter too much if the lead is in the silt/dead leaves as long as the bait settles on the top then it will be where the Pike expect to find it.

Slide a balsa stick inside the bait and it will sink really slow and settle on the deck. you should tie the stick to one of your trebles with a bit of wire so that if the bait is trashed during the fight then the balsa wont get lost or swallowed.

I generally use a two hook rig with a size 8 as the first one that goes into the tail root of the dead bait then a size 6 as the top treble that goes into the middle of the bait.

you could also have a go at popping up a kebab rig with a single hook if the deck is really bad.

PM me your address and I will send you some examples.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:24 pm

as previously said size 6 or 8 trebles,, what alarms will you be using? i use dropback alarms and my setup is the most sensitive on the planet., if a pike "barks" at my bait (you may laugh but they actually do it) i will get a drop back indication.
on some of the harder waters i fish if you put booms etc on you will spook the fish.
the only time i would even consider a 2oz lead is when the wind is in my face to aid casting distance. for popping up i may add a small bomb to hold bottom.
don't skimp on hooks and deffo twist not crimp Twisted Evil
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:07 pm

I don't like size 8 maybe ok fishing for jacks on a canal. The smallest hook I use is size 4 have you seen the size of a 20lb

pike's mouth.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzua Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:53 pm

haha i've had a pike hiss at me like a snake not bark Laughing and im using my carp alarms i'm a carp fisher normally but when the winter kicks carping can become dull and for treble i've opted for 30 plus x strong angling times voted them 29/30 so can go far wrong with them so a simple running lead rig will do it?

gazzua

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:10 pm

I had the 30plus hooks, they were ok in size 8 but the size 6 straightened a bit too easily for my liking.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:25 pm

gazzua wrote:haha i've had a pike hiss at me like a snake not bark Laughing  and im using my carp alarms i'm a carp fisher normally but when the winter kicks carping can become dull and for treble i've opted for 30 plus x strong angling times voted them 29/30 so can go far wrong with them so a simple running lead rig will do it?
you can use a small running leger but i just use 4 or 5 ssg on the trace. nowt wrong with carp alarms but imo it's better to hang your bobbins from the back of the pod,, directly below the spool and fish with an open bail arm Wink wary fish on some waters will drop the bait if they feel the resistance of a baitrunner. old fish are wise,, big fish are old Twisted Evil
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 pm

gazzua wrote:getting back in to pike fishing soon and need to know

what size trebles to use my bait i'll be using with generally be 4in, 5in, 6in

what are the best cheap trebles to buy?

which trace wire?, the water i fish the pike go up to mid 20's

which crimps to use with the trace wire?

for the ledger part i through fox ledger stem with a 2oz lead?

i know its alot to ask but any information helps thanks  santa

trebles - use owners, 2,4,6,8 (wouldnt ever considering buying cheap hooks)

trace wire - for years i have used e-sox drennan super 7 28lb (cant fault it)

crimp or twist - crimp, have done for years, and never once let me down. Very easy to do, and IMO easier to do than twisting (i tried this and couldnt get the hand of it) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

straight lead - IMO there is no right or wrong way, each to there own. But this is my setup:

18/20" trace (tied to the main line, i use 50lb braid)
18lb mono rotten bottom (could use 15lb 10lb or less, your call) this is set running (if the lead snags, the mono breaks and you get all your rig back)
i use 3oz to 4oz leads, even if fishing close in

photo below of by lead setup, not the best picture i can assure you.

IMO, buying ledger stems is a waste of money, you dont need them (that is just MY opinion though, i know some people swear by them)

HOOKS - if i snag on the hook with my braided main line the hooks will always straighten and come free before anything else snaps.

hope the above is of some use, enjoy your fishing  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

ledger dead bait rig components **help**  12170286_10153695406854806_269233807_n

my alarm setup is now the picture below. 3 x billy back biters, they are superb

ledger dead bait rig components **help**  12299179_10153778179234806_8697756016186889030_n
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down