PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

all season pike fishing?

+6
Alex Makk
Bazz
esoxjeff
Andy Macfarlane
pikeing pirates
wymo
10 posters

Go down

all season pike fishing? Empty all season pike fishing?

Post  wymo Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:21 pm

alreet chaps
just wondering how many of you target pike all year round? and what you think to summer pike fishing right or wrong?
i do a bit of lure fishing in summer you cant beat the buzz when a pike big or small smashes into surface lure Very Happy
cheers wymo
wymo
wymo

Back to top Go down

all season pike fishing? Empty Re: all season pike fishing?

Post  pikeing pirates Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm

ill be aving a go lure fishing in summer wymo never done before know sum good venues mate ..get together mate Very Happy Very Happy pirat
pikeing pirates
pikeing pirates

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:14 pm

One of those thing you should judge on merit. A big glacial water can probably take fishing all year round, as can many of the big reservoirs and rivers but some dykes, runoffs, canals, ponds etc. can suffer badly from oxygen depletion and it's these venues you have to be wary of.
just choose you venue with a bit of care and make sure all your unhooking/weighing gear is at the ready. Get your fish on the bank, onto a wet mat, weigh, snap and back carefully. Support the fish for a bit if need be and don't be in a hurry to let the fish go. Some fish drift away and then roll over some distance from the bank and you might not be able to get to them. Keep a loose but firm grip round the tail root of the fish, support the head and only let it go once it really coils up ready to go. You'll know when.

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:31 pm

fished all year round in past but PIKE CARE must be at its best at all times.
my findings were that August was just too much on both fish and angler,
so i no long fish for pike if its very hot(rare i know)
IF you are in any DOUBT about a pikes health in hot weather then PLEASE leave them alone. Smile
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Yeah, i would imagine they are more Feisty & fight to exhaustion in the warmer water, like Barbel do. I can understand that oxygen levels will be low in small waters also.

I remember the hot Summer of 1976 & match fishing on Ramsey Drain Nr. Cambridge. It was so hot the Bream were lolling along aimlessly with their dorsal fins sticking out of the water. God was it hot! Spent all the day wandering up & down the bank to a solitary farmhouse where the farmers wife happily filled peoples bottle's with water. Rolling Eyes

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:56 pm

What about fishing the bait at the begining of september? (a month before the october-march season starts?) to me the month of september is when low pressure starts and the autum/winter begins to roll in
would it be possible if it was a chilly day without risking the pike?
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:57 pm

esoxjeff wrote:fished all year round in past but PIKE CARE must be at its best at all times.
my findings were that August was just too much on both fish and angler,
so i no long fish for pike if its very hot(rare i know)
IF you are in any DOUBT about a pikes health in hot weather then PLEASE leave them alone. Smile
your spot on there jeff it takes quite a few years of pike fishing to realize this is the case Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:21 pm

MrMakk wrote:What about fishing the bait at the begining of september? (a month before the october-march season starts?) to me the month of september is when low pressure starts and the autum/winter begins to roll in
would it be possible if it was a chilly day without risking the pike?

tbh alex i normally start doing alot of piking as soon as daytime temps are consistently below 17 degrees.... usually mid-late sept. the pike are still feeding really well but you dont need a thermal suit to keep warm Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:26 am

Very Happy I love fishing for Pike all year round, I have had worse years than others but better years than most, I was taut how to handle Pike when i was a kid, The first summer Pike that gassed up scared me half to death, I thought we had lost this fish, But my grandad Showed me what to do, And what to look for, And not to just let the Pike go, But like Andy Mc said in his post, To keep hold of the pike till its ready to go, And as Andy also says, You will know when its ready, If its a realy big Pike then peg the fish into the flow, As i have explained to stubbo in another posting, But summer fishing is the one that most Pike fishermen worry about, Dont stop fishing because your worried about losing the fish, Try and get good advice on what to do if the fish is exhausted or gassed up, Just go with a regular summer fisherman or woman, So if you do need a little coaching, Then you will have hands on advice right beside you, Cool
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:15 am

I give them a big rest until October dust down mi tackle, root around in the freezer then i'm off Very Happy
.......Then pack it all away in March.
Well i borrow my reels but pack the rest away.
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum