PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What tactics do you prefer?

+2
Andy Macfarlane
Lefty
6 posters

Go down

What tactics do you prefer? Empty What tactics do you prefer?

Post  Lefty Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:45 pm

I'll start the ball rolling by telling you that I mainly use deadbaits but also do some spinning and lure work.

Not very successful using the lures and spinners as I'm still learning how to work them correctly.

Mainly do float ledgering and I'm currently trying out a new rig that has so far proved to be very easy for removal from the pike's mouth and have got my mate using the same rig. Still refining the rig for optimal size hooks and positioning in the deadbait but hoping to cut it down from 2 hooks to 1. Oh yeah, I don't use trebles but singles and barbless ones at that. Except for on on lures then it's trebles with crushed barbs

I'll keep you posted on the rig and will include some pics of it at a later date.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

What tactics do you prefer? Empty Re: What tactics do you prefer?

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 pm

I do a bit of everything really. I'm pretty much at home with deads/livies/lures. I probably spend more time throwing lures simply because it takes far less organisation but I do love sitting behind 3 bite alarms, waiting for a run.
I don't just target pike though. I'm mad for big perch and brownies too and spend a fair amount of time chasing them with spinners. I'll have a crack at anything though. I've been fishing for 26 years I reckon but for the last few years it's mostly been pike.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Whoops, should have done some research before stating I got a new rig. I did a little looking on-line and found out rigs using one single hook are already in use.

However, I will still show pics of the rig when I've got the necessary bits and bobs, both on it's own and with a dead bait on.

I haven't found any pictures or descriptions using the type of hook I'm thinking of but I think it will work and give good presentation whilst being easy and quick to unhook.

Just need to hunt down the hook type I want and then get a rig built.

Catch you later.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 pm

bit of an all rounder here mostly pike but occasionally get the chub perch bass (yet to catch one) bug
mostly lures these days as it easier to get oput with them for short sessions

whats the hook your after?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:40 pm

I believe it's called an eagle claw jelly hook.

I only know this because I've trawled lots of websites looking through the hooks sections and only just found it tonight. Going to see if I can find some in my local area, if not then I will have to go online and send off for some.

If you know what it looks like you may be thinking "what the f--- does he want one like that for?"

Well, all will become apparent as soon as I get my hands on a hook and make a rig.

Keep you posted.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:38 pm

My preferences have changed in the past 12 months and the need to grab short opportunities has had a big influence. Short sessions before and after work make up most of my piking now and to fit this in I bought a telescopic spinning rod last winter which I take in the car with a rucksack containing lures, unhooking and weighing gear and a camera. Had I not done so I would have caught far fewer fish. That said I do like to watch floats with deadbaits the being the usual trap. I have alarms but I prefer to use them only when necessay. On the Canal for instance when there is likely to be boat traffic.

Having said all that, it is throwing it down Surprised and I am going to work soon so it's back on the telepole and fingers crossed.
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:59 am

Lefty wrote:I believe it's called an eagle claw jelly hook.

I only know this because I've trawled lots of websites looking through the hooks sections and only just found it tonight. Going to see if I can find some in my local area, if not then I will have to go online and send off for some.

If you know what it looks like you may be thinking "what the f--- does he want one like that for?"

Well, all will become apparent as soon as I get my hands on a hook and make a rig.

Keep you posted.

think i have some owner ones knocking around somewhere with the cutting point and curved point ill have a look over the next few days as i get sorted
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Cheers Noodle.

Tomorrow I'm going to the tackle shop near to where I work and see if I can find any there.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Just my flamin' luck, they were closed today Sad
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 pm

I've been using lures and spinners since I started piking.

I like the activity of it. I just don't like the whole sitting and waiting thing.

My most successful lure is the flying C (black or red) but I have caught on divers and plugs.
Just ordered these kinda jelly shrimp things with a spinner blade on the front. Can't wait to try them cos they look awesome Laughing
As a beginner, I'm still learning how to work lures and the "hot spots" for casting. I just love the constant casting and reeling of this type of fishing as well as the pike attacking the lure........missing it......then casting into the same spot......then **wham!**
Slidze
Slidze

http://slidzenicely.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:53 am

What kind of lure fishing setup are you using?
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:11 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:What kind of lure fishing setup are you using?

Here's what I have:

An Amega 2 Piece; 12 ft 2.75lb TEST CURVE CARP/PIKE ROD....cost me £17 incl P&P on Ebay (now selling for £28 Very Happy )

What tactics do you prefer? 0668a19f133037519t What tactics do you prefer? E07ca44133037534t

Reel:
Abu Garcia Cardinal C104........with 30lb mono line.

What tactics do you prefer? 2d8ba2aabugarciac

Using pre made 12" traces with American style snap links.......but also make my own.
Slidze
Slidze

http://slidzenicely.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  essox_lucius Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:54 am

i tend to favour the sit and wait tactic though will plan new rigs or baits areas while waiting like to wobble deads also to keep active
essox_lucius
essox_lucius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down