PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snagged,baited wire traces.

+6
The Otter
robh107
nightwatchman
nickcarpy
MAD BAD ANGLER
BradfordLad
10 posters

Go down

Snagged,baited wire traces. Empty Snagged,baited wire traces.

Post  BradfordLad Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:12 pm

New to Pike angling i lost both my traces today whilst fishing on the canal...I tried desperatly to free them knowing they still had there baits attached but both snapped my 15lb mono and i lost everything.

Do you guys have any tips for freeing these grappling hooks or a least shaking off the bait as this whole issue makes me feel uncomfortable pale

Again just another new learning curve for me.

Thanks
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Snagged,baited wire traces. Empty Re: Snagged,baited wire traces.

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

thats a very good question, i wish i had a good answer for you Sad Sad it happens to everyone at sometime, and i dont think anyone has come up with a fool proof answer. all i can say is if this happens again, try to change the angle that you pull from as much as you can, i.e walk to the left , then right as far as you can and try pulling again. using braid is also better than mono as it is much heavier breaking strain and so the hooks either straighten out first, or the trace will snap, at least then your rig is not tethered by loads of line.
also i think that if you can give it some stick when stuck, often i think the bait will fall off.
i have seen some lure retrievers on the market, but dont know if they would work on snagged rigs.

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:17 pm

?????hard question????
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:20 pm

MBA has highlighted all the points and using braid is a good option too cheers
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 pm

BradfordLad wrote:New to Pike angling i lost both my traces today whilst fishing on the canal...I tried desperatly to free them knowing they still had there baits attached but both snapped my 15lb mono and i lost everything.

Do you guys have any tips for freeing these grappling hooks or a least shaking off the bait as this whole issue makes me feel uncomfortable pale

Again just another new learning curve for me.

Thanks

what trebles are you using?? if they are of a heavy gauge wire it may be advisable to switch to thinner gauge, that way you have a better chance of bending the treble out on a snag rather than leaving a baited trace in the water
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:18 pm

I have tried both types both snagged.....Fox and Drennan.
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:12 pm

I have been snagged on several different occassions and always managed to gain the full kit back, I have purchased the predex trebles and use 15lb Berkley big game line. With this in mind on every oiccassion I have nearly pulled my arm off but have always obtained the end tackle minus one of the hooks as they will give way under obscene pressure
The Otter
The Otter

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:22 pm

was it the trebles that were snagged?

if your using a lead clipped to a run ring, or worse still the lead loop on the line and the lead snags no matter what trebles or mainline your using the only outcome will be a trace left behind.

use a weak link be that mono lighter than your mainline, a paperclip tackle enterprises snag free run ring etc
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Every time i have got snagged so far, it has been the hooks and never knowingly the ledger weight. I do attach the ledger with a weaker line length with several half hitch knots tied in it, just in case.. Thing is though, most if not all ledgers are smooth & uniform in shape & far less likely to snag than any type of hook, sorry but this is a fact. With an average of say 30lb trace strength & 15+ lb mainline, the offending hook MAY straighten, with a bit of luck.. I have only got snapped off once, after a struggle the trace failed under the top crimp, my ledger & its link returned safely..

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:27 am

Baz....Same here.

I use a weak link ledger but its my hooks that have been getting snagged.It really puts me off hard ledgering on the bottom.

Would permanently fishing pop up baits, maybe just cause the hooks to lift/rise on retrival this allowing the bait and trace to arrive back through mid water thus avoiding sunken nasties ?

As i said ealier i'm not fussed if i loose a bit of tackle but i'm gutted if i loose a baited trace Shocked
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  megsta Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:45 pm

Have you considered using braid? I have found it easier to pull hooks out of snags using braid

megsta

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:56 pm

ok if its the hooks snagging waht are they getting caught up in.

my neck of the woods its usually the lead between rocks that causes the problems

if your snagging in timber popping up wont help a great deal, not to mention straightening hooks is nigh on impossible even with 100lb braid in that situation, you may need to look at fishing something like a float pat rig of some type be that a cd rig or more straightforward type
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 am

It's doubtful it's the hooks that are being caught up. More than likely it's the lead that's finding a snag. A run-ring with a paper-clip to act as rotten bottom will solve that problem.

IF it is the hooks that are being caught up and I doubt it is change your line to something more substantial, like 50lb PowerPro and you should with a nice, even, steady pull, straighten your hooks.

I'm still laying my money on the lead though.

....Andrew of the Clan Macfarlane....geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum