PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shakespeare Big S

4 posters

Go down

Shakespeare Big S Empty Shakespeare Big S

Post  Andy Webster Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I found a shop with a few Shakespeare original Big S lures selling for 2 quid a piece so I bought a few. I didn't realise they still did them. I tried one out on the braid and the vibration is awesome. Just need a toothy mother to take a shine to one now. They'll be perfect on the shallow drains near me.

I'll let you know when I catch on one.

Andy Webster
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Shakespeare Big S Empty Re: Shakespeare Big S

Post  wayne the pain Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:49 am

Always liked the Big S, Really hard to find now.A friend told me Shakespeare tackle is in a bit of financial trouble now No
wayne the pain
wayne the pain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Big 'S' lures are still made but here's a clue. Look for the ones with a little hole next to the rear-treble hanger. The old ones (the best ones) were mounted on a little threaded screw for painting and the hole is still visible. The new ones though, don't have the hole. If you can't get the Big 'S', the Cotton Cordell Big 'O' can still be bought from places like Cabelas. The Shakespeare Big 'S' was actually a copy of the Cotton Cordell Big 'O'. It's the 'O' and the 'S' that gives these lures the name Alphabet lures, just in case you had read that term somewhere and were clueless.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Shakespeare Big S Empty big s

Post  robh107 Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:48 am

i have a big s in perch pattern which i bough 5/6 years ago, and it constantly outperforms any other lure in my box. these range from small spinnerbaits, to creek chub pikies (i have 3 of those), small fox jerkbaits plus many others.... so the verdict from me is if you have one try it more often as its a brilliant little lure.
in fact theres only 2 lures i can think of that i've had and lost on snags that could beat it for fishing shallow waters.... the manns 1 minus and the manns super stretch 1 minus.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:00 pm

If you haven't tried them already, try the Salmo Sliders. They have to be my number 1 banker lures and I'm confident they'll catch ANYWHERE. The larger 60 gram (floating) and the 70 gram (sinking) versions will require a proper beefy bait-casting outfit but the small and medium versions can be worked on fixed spool setups no problem. I've got them in all kinds of sizes and colours and they all catch fish. The smallest ones are ideal for trout, perch, chub, pike, bass etc. The medium ones will still catch the same species but the size makes them a little more selective. The large versions are probably better suited to pike and other large predators. I've heard the large versions are popular among Nile Perch and Mahseer anglers, which I think speaks for itself.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum