PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long in one swim?

+6
essox_lucius1
robh107
adie1200
big h
noodle
stevecrm
10 posters

Go down

How long in one swim? Empty How long in one swim?

Post  stevecrm Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 am

If you are deadbait fishing on a large lake, how long would you recommend staying in the same place before moving along and trying another part of the lake?
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

How long in one swim? Empty Re: How long in one swim?

Post  noodle Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 am

depends

just to keep it simple three options

holding area?
patrol route?

or no idea?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 am

errmm, No idea to be honest? scratch
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 am

stevecrm wrote:errmm, No idea to be honest? scratch

newish water?
please dont take offence at the next bit
newish piker?

if its the 1st and you fish with lures then maybe a coupleof sessions with those and dare i say it a marker float if your bank fishing, countdown lures will work instead of the marker for shorter ranges as well

if you dont fish with lures then try wobling deads big bag of sprats and have a walk ...

if its the latter what is the method you feel most comfortable with at the moment?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  big h Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:01 am

i know every body tells you to bank hop but i have never had any luck with this method i always think its better to sit it out if they are (avin it) they will find your bait injecting oils works for me

big h

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

If it was a new lake to me i would try all the likely looking spots like bays weed beds over hangings trees and such and only stay in each peg for a hour ish if you don't get any runs move on 2 or 3 pegs and spend a hour there then if no runs move again !!
If nothing else you will get to know the lake a little better Wink Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 am

adie1200 wrote:If it was a new lake to me i would try all the likely looking spots like bays weed beds over hangings trees and such and only stay in each peg for a hour ish if you don't get any runs move on 2 or 3 pegs and spend a hour there then if no runs move again !!
If nothing else you will get to know the lake a little better Wink Very Happy Very Happy

good advice, new water see me with lures as you can search a swim quicker and hence the lake quicker, thats if its a lake you can walk around .

a lot of advice in this is aimed at smallish stillwaters, drains ..

if you fish somewhere where you would struggle to walk around in an hour with no gear how much hassle would it be doing the same with bait gear, even stripped down to the bare essentials?

so think about the water if its big a few visits to different areas may be better than swim hopping
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 am

i tend to give it at least 2 hours per peg on a water i dont know that well.... it could be that the pike are there and they can see your baits but they only feed at certain times.
i just tend to go on instinct as to how it "feels".... if it feels right then i'll sit it out in a peg for a while longer, whereas if it doesnt feel right after a few hours i'll move
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 am

noodle wrote:
adie1200 wrote:If it was a new lake to me i would try all the likely looking spots like bays weed beds over hangings trees and such and only stay in each peg for a hour ish if you don't get any runs move on 2 or 3 pegs and spend a hour there then if no runs move again !!

good advice, new water see me with lures as you can search a swim quicker and hence the lake quicker, thats if its a lake you can walk around .

if you fish somewhere where you would struggle to walk around in an hour with no gear how much hassle would it be doing the same with bait gear, even stripped down to the bare essentials?

so think about the water if its big a few visits to different areas may be better than swim hopping

The question was about dead baiting not lures Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If its a large lake i and dead baiting i stick to what i said a hour ish !! if you don't get a run in this time the chances are you aren't going to so move on to your next peg and try again !!
If its a large lake you wont cover it in a day anyway so just consentrate on the area you can cover and leave the rest for your next trip !!

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:07 am

I am going to a few new waters this weekend for a try. I am happy to try any or all methods most of the time, but this weekend i want to concentrate on bait fishing Cool .
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

noodle wrote:
please dont take offence at the next bit
newish piker?

No offence taken, I have done quite a bit of piking in the last 2 years but not had too much luck so newish piker will possibly cover me. Very Happy
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am

adie1200 wrote:
noodle wrote:

The question was about dead baiting not lures Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy If its a large lake i and dead baiting i stick to what i said a hour ish !! if you don't get a run in this time the chances are you aren't going to so move on to your next peg and try again !!
If its a large lake you wont cover it in a day anyway so just consentrate on the area you can cover and leave the rest for your next trip !!

Adie

i know but a better method of fishing new waters ive yet too come accros, i did suggest wobbling
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

How long in one swim? Empty how long

Post  essox_lucius1 Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 pm

if im fishing a new water i try to fish find 2 or3 areas i think will hold pike and split my day between the 3 i find that normaly one of the areas i search out will produce with luck Very Happy
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 pm

As you have mentioned lures and wobbling yes i find these to be a great way to explore a new water Very Happy Very Happy

Wobbling is one of my favourite methods for new waters as you can cover a lot of water in a few hours Very Happy

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 pm

essox_lucius1 wrote:if im fishing a new water i try to fish find 2 or3 areas i think will hold pike and split my day between the 3 i find that normaly one of the areas i search out will produce with luck Very Happy
nice move mate How long in one swim? Icon_biggrin How long in one swim? Icon_biggrin
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

adie1200 wrote:As you have mentioned lures and wobbling yes i find these to be a great way to explore a new water Very Happy Very Happy

Wobbling is one of my favourite methods for new waters as you can cover a lot of water in a few hours Very Happy

Adie
a dying art that one Adie, it works well How long in one swim? Icon_biggrin How long in one swim? Icon_biggrin How long in one swim? Icon_biggrin
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 pm

I agree with Adie1200. Give it an hour or so & shift.

I spent several hours once on a pit and moved, cast out & started to set my backbiter up. It was weird as I couldn't tighten up to the spool Shocked the bait was swimming back to me Razz Razz Laughing I wound down & struck & brought a good fish up to the surface. It thrashed its head & threw me off! Evil or Very Mad
Must have landed my bait in front of the fishes nose lol & it took it Wink

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Bazz wrote:I agree with Adie1200. Give it an hour or so & shift.

I spent several hours once on a pit and moved, cast out & started to set my backbiter up. It was weird as I couldn't tighten up to the spool Shocked the bait was swimming back to me Razz Razz Laughing I wound down & struck & brought a good fish up to the surface. It thrashed its head & threw me off! Evil or Very Mad

dajvu How long in one swim? Icon_lol
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  patch Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 pm

Bazz wrote:I agree with Adie1200. Give it an hour or so & shift.

thats a classic that one Baz cheers
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:45 pm

lol! lol! lol!
Hate it when that happens affraid Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 pm

Though I didn't catch, glad I moved.....suspect I would have not even had a take in the 1st swim Very Happy

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Bazz wrote:Though I didn't catch, glad I moved.....suspect I would have not even had a take in the 1st swim Very Happy
some times staying put can pay off i would normally move myself if nothing happening .But on one occasion i was forced to stop in my peg because of no room really anywhere else on the lake never had a sniff till 3 thirty then had 2 twentys in quick time now if had moved might have a blanker like i say some times stick it out....... Very Happy Smile
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum