PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

single hook,braid trace for pike

+2
Andy Macfarlane
nickcarpy
6 posters

Go down

single hook,braid trace for pike Empty single hook,braid trace for pike

Post  nickcarpy Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:53 pm

iam not mad,no but looking threw sum old course angling today mags an there was a article by archie braddocks useing single hooks or single trebles on 45lb braid trace.he then went on to kysron ton up[ment for huge cats on ebro ect with out loosing any fish.i myself would wonder what everybodys veiw are one it.there will be people who think it to be insane but the ton up proved its self against worlds biggest cats,mighty nile perch ,huge carp and massar in india. Smile
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

single hook,braid trace for pike Empty Re: single hook,braid trace for pike

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:20 pm

nickcarpy wrote:worlds biggest cats,mighty nile perch ,huge carp and massar in india. Smile

Catfish have pads and raspers, both of which are mildly abrasive. Nile Perch have protruding mouth-parts, being of the perchiforme order of fish. Carp and Mahseer are both Cypriniformes, which have no teeth other than the pharyngeal variety. In fact, none of the above have teeth, never mind sharp teeth. They're all just powerful and all are caught on mono.
45lb braid traces?? Archie Braddocks may have a few good ideas but he's proven in the past that for every good idea he has, he has another completely barmy idea up his sleeve. Hold some braid taught, as it would be with a sizable pike on and then run a blunt knife along it and see what happens. Pike have over 300 scalpel-like teeth to choose from and any one of them could see 45lb braid part like cotton. I fish with 50lb braid and I'd never consider using it for trace material.
Wire isn't expensive, so why do people insist on trying out other materials for traces? What is they're trying to prove? It can't be to save money. Pike don't care about wire, so it can't be to improve the ratio of runs. What is the point in this experimental rubbish? I just don't see the point in trying to fix something that isn't broken. Wire works and braid doesn't.
This is not an experiment I'll be carrying out.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

single hook,braid trace for pike Empty single hook,braid trace for pike

Post  bigchris Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm

well im with you on that one andy it defies logic why this archie fella even thought of it he must have been p*@sed at the time scratch scratch scratch lol!

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Yep i have to agree anyone who is daft enough to use braid for a trace doesn't deserve to be fishing for pike Shocked think how many pike would die Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 pm

andy,take all your information on board mate,i agree why mend the car when its not broken.but do you think in near future there will be a alterative?carp anglers rigs av come on leaps an bounds over years.you only need one crack pot an then it could be the next best thing? Smile mean time i will stick to my traces Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:57 pm

I can totally understand why people want to use hair-rigs, fluorocarbon and all manner of sneaky tactics for carp. They suck and blow and they can be very wary, hence the need for certain rigs but carp are fairly simple to pull into a swim and they'll try just about anything once so finding carp and finding baits isn't the problem. It's setting that hook that is the problem.
Pike however aren't tackle-shy and they aren't quite so picky about about what they eat and the gorge baits to boot. Pike fishing is more about location than presentation or baits, so although there are crossed-boundaries, like my idea with the spod, I don't think there's a need to replace wire.
Guys like Vic Bellars, Colin Dyson, Ray Webb and Barrie Rickards to name a few have been through all the tackle-testing and it's more or less been proven categorically, that pike are fairly simple to catch, on very simple but effective rigs but finding them is the key to success.
Wire is cheap and it works a treat. Something might come long in time but for now, I can't imagine what that might be.

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:01 pm

That idea is just preposterous (hope i spelt that correctly)

Wire is the only way to go and anybody worth his salt should know that.

It's inexpensive, strong and bite proof. Is braid?

You know the answer to that one.

If I ever came across somebody not using wire trace then they would get a proper gobful off me.

Rant over.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Lefty wrote:That idea is just preposterous (hope i spelt that correctly)

Wire is the only way to go and anybody worth his salt should know that.

It's inexpensive, strong and bite proof. Is braid?

You know the answer to that one.

If I ever came across somebody not using wire trace then they would get a proper gobful off me.

Rant over.

Here Here

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum