PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pike hangers/indicators

+8
Mark Green.PAC
Andy Webster
Andy Macfarlane
bigchris
wayne the pain
MAD BAD ANGLER
wolfie
grahambrooke
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pike hangers/indicators - Page 2 Empty Re: Pike hangers/indicators

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Hmmm...that would be pretty worrying. I just wonder if my bank-stick arrangement has anything to do with it. I use 3 long sticks for the rear and 3 medium sticks for the front so the rods sit cocked with the tips in the water (which also helps negate wind bleeps) but I wonder if the angle helps the line travel over the wheel. I didn't choose that setup to aid the alarms. It was more for keeping the tips submerged, especially when float fishing but maybe I've unwittingly solved a possible fault without realising it. I feel an experiment coming on.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators - Page 2 Empty lol

Post  robh107 Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:37 pm

lol andy possibly... all i know is that no matter how i set up they would not indicate a run properly
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:02 pm

robh107 wrote:yes noodle, i have attempted this myself with a set of fox mk1 swingers i had, and fair enough they worked OK but i felt they were too limited (because of the mounting height) for showing drop backs so i wouldnt recommend it unless you really had no other option

never owned swingers so wouldnt have an idea about em always used bobbins on dacron or the springlock/quivertip arm sort of thing at the front.

always have some chepo nasty bobbins in the car in case i forget the alarms or break them. all iwould do then is use an elastic band to stick em to the rear stick
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:21 pm

still not sure about that idea noodle.... my guess would be that even the likes of the spring arms you mentioned wouldnt react as efficiently as required, but if you have success when trying any of the ideas you have then well done!!
and yes a bobbin is a bobbin is a bobbin..... but would you use a feeder reel for beachcasting?? theyre all designed for a different purpose even if the name is the same
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Used mine today, one ledgered small Mackeral, one ledgered Smelt. Fox micron at front on each bankstick & Fox drop backs on rear about 4" lower than the reels. It was fairly sheltered but there was a slight chop on water surface. 2 false alarms.. well i think they were..certainly not caused by wind/wave action. I suspect the submerged line got twitched by fish swimming by. I did reel in & check baits for teeth marks etc.. not a sign.

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:40 am

robh107 wrote:still not sure about that idea noodle.... my guess would be that even the likes of the spring arms you mentioned wouldnt react as efficiently as required, but if you have success when trying any of the ideas you have then well done!!
and yes a bobbin is a bobbin is a bobbin..... but would you use a feeder reel for beachcasting?? theyre all designed for a different purpose even if the name is the same

dont use the spring arms for pike they were for carp at long range (circa early 90's) i have the original et backbiters for piking (circa 90's) not the new ones that sound like a comedy alarm

but for anyone with a normal carp style hanger why buy extra ones just to hang at the back, use the same ones at the back as you would at the front all it is is a weight and a clip hen its all said and done what mechanically is different? between say a fox drop off a middy corded drop off or a solar (or any propietry carp style hanger) hanger fitted at the rear?

now indication wise there may be one or two differences but just as the method of indication with alarms at the front none of the differences matter, its only when you get into rear mounted alarms that more thought comes into it and you have to work out weather a cabled tilt switch, cord tension, or rigid cam arm system works best in your general circumstances.
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:51 am

grahambrooke wrote:So my existing carp style hangers would suffice, and i wouldn`t need my bail arm off as my baitrunner reels lossen right off. Don`t think i`ll bother then, unless anyone can see another reason.

tbh yess that will work fine, althouhg watch out using baitrunners backed right of as a fast take can and will lead to a mess it is better fishing open bail for the most part on stillwaters.

are your hangers corded or on chains?

if they are on the heavy stainless chains just buy a chep set to use at the rear if they are already on something like dacron (early solar) or nylon cord (some fox) just rig them from the rear sticks you can have them fixed to the but rests but if doing this id get a couple of elastic bands and get the cord in place below the reel using the bands it wil give better indication with drop backs than having the pivot point above the reel would
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum