PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

+14
BradfordLad
esoxjeff
kell
adie1200
Andy Webster
stephen abbott
deadbait
nickcarpy
Lucan
stubbo
Lefty
newie2010
BigSi
raf1870
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth Empty Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

Post  raf1870 Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi

Could any of the experienced pike anglers on the forum explain in laymans terms what it means to fish slightly overdepth and how to rig up a float so that I can fish slightly overdepth?

I will be fishing in a reservoir or loch if these water conditions make a difference to the setup?

Cheers

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth Empty Re: Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

Post  BigSi Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi there,

Heres an image, I photoshopped a while ago.

this is fishing overdepth to me!

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth Pike2
BigSi
BigSi

Back to top Go down

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth Empty Re: Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

Post  newie2010 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

BigSi wrote:Hi there,

Heres an image, I photoshopped a while ago.

this is fishing overdepth to me!

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth Pike2

great image bigsi......

basicaly using the ledger float setup you are fishing over depth...

i always fish over depth (unless drifting or roaming) so the pike feels less resistance on the initial pickup. This is also useful when fishing on a flowing river, fish over depth so a bow forms between your float and the lead, this will help stop your float being pulled under by the current.
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm

If you have say 5ft of water in front of you and you fish at 6ft depth then that is fishing overdepth.

I float ledger this way by using a NON weighted float (Fox Deadbait Pencil) then tighten down to leave about inch and half poking out from the water. You must use enough weight to hold bottom but not too much so as to make the pike wary of the bait and drop it. I find that an 8gram egg sinker or above, depending on the conditions, is ideal. The weight goes at the junction of mainline and trace wire.

This setup is very sensitive and gives good bite indication. The float will lift and possibly lay flat when your bait is picked up or will sink out of sight if the pike runs as soon as grabbing the bait.

When I caught my PB pike I used this method and saw a very slight rise on my float, so stood over the rod in readiness. A few seconds later I saw the float start to move so struck and it was fish on.

Here is a link to a picture on the main website:

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk/articles/images/floatledgerrig.jpg
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 pm

raf1870 wrote:Hi

I will be fishing in a reservoir or loch if these water conditions make a difference to the setup?

Cheers

im fishing a res on the 13th, now my plan is to using the ledger float (im fishing from the bank, not a boat) if you know the depth your fishing, then its simple, if you dont know, then you will have to have a play around with the stop knott untill you find the depth.

if your fishing a boat then id drift deads closer to bottom rather than over depth on it...
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Lefty wrote:If you have say 5ft of water in front of you and you fish at 6ft depth then that is fishing overdepth.

I float ledger this way by using a NON weighted float (Fox Deadbait Pencil) then tighten down to leave about inch and half poking out from the water. You must use enough weight to hold bottom but not too much so as to make the pike wary of the bait and drop it. I find that an 8gram egg sinker or above, depending on the conditions, is ideal. The weight goes at the junction of mainline and trace wire.

This setup is very sensitive and gives good bite indication. The float will lift and possibly lay flat when your bait is picked up or will sink out of sight if the pike runs as soon as grabbing the bait.

When I caught my PB pike I used this method and saw a very slight rise on my float, so stood over the rod in readiness. A few seconds later I saw the float start to move so struck and it was fish on.

Here is a link to a picture on the main website:

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk/articles/images/floatledgerrig.jpg

yeah agree with that, you can also use light leads like 1oz to 3oz. i use the middle which is 2oz to 2.5oz
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info so far.

Sadly I cannot seem to see the image posted Crying or Very sad

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 pm

raf1870 wrote:Hi

Could any of the experienced pike anglers on the forum explain in laymans terms what it means to fish slightly overdepth and how to rig up a float so that I can fish slightly overdepth?

Cheers
hi there raf1870 my idea of slightly over depth is the sensitivity of the float is that the pike only has to sniff the bait you will know instantly on the float . I use this method which you might find usefull i use a map carp bagging float not wieghted it is fixed to the line with a silocon float adapter which you can ajust in a instant .Then fish your desired bait as normal but dont use a lead in any way .You dont need a lead because the weight of the bait will easily cock the float becausof the size of the float. I would advise fishing this float at a angle in surface film strike strait away if float lays flat or it will sail away mate it is so sensitve mate its like in a way fishing for tench useing the lift method Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

just to add to that last thread i would probably use that rig at close range say upto 25 yards Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:48 pm

Can you use inline floats?

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:52 pm

dont think you would get the same effect pal,the drennen floats are inline aswell as fixed/bottom eyed.your better with a float with a bottom eye for this methed
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Bugger. Tackle shop it is then!

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 pm

a inline float will work fine for float ledgering i use them on the river when theres a bit of flow on Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 pm

nickcarpy wrote:dont think you would get the same effect pal,the drennen floats are inline aswell as fixed/bottom eyed.your better with a float with a bottom eye for this methed

Deffinitely a bottom fixed float for this method. And don't forget, it has to be an UNLOADED float. Never use a loaded float for this method. In fact, a lot of experienced pikers will say never use a loaded pike float FULL STOP.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen abbott Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:12 pm

lefty wrote

Deffinitely a bottom fixed float for this method. And don't forget, it has to be an UNLOADED float. Never use a loaded float for this method. In fact, a lot of experienced pikers will say never use a loaded pike float FULL STOP.

Well said leffty

stephen abbott

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 pm

So to a bit of an amature what are inline floats for?

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Float trolling?

And when float ledgering on a river where the flow is strong.

And trotting a bait on a river.

And float fishing a bait off the bottom on a stillwater.

I always go for bottom end only when float ledgering in the way that others have already described. The advantage of bottom only (IMHO) is that the float can be cocked against the weight of the bait by reeling in a bit of line. As soon as the bait is lifted the float will rise in the water more visibly than if it were inline. Just like using the lift method for tench. Inline will still give a good indication, but in my experience I prefer bottom end attachment.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Lucan wrote:So to a bit of an amature what are inline floats for?

heres one way to use one

http://pikefishingfreak.com/howtosetupaslidingfloatrig
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Many thanks folks!

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Lefty wrote:
nickcarpy wrote:dont think you would get the same effect pal,the drennen floats are inline aswell as fixed/bottom eyed.your better with a float with a bottom eye for this methed

your bang on there mate stopped useing them floats years ago you cant allways spot alift bite on these floats when the bait gets lifted of the bottom Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:21 am

Is it better to use a small lead on the mainline above the swivel or a couple of ssh on the trace? I would think going by the "less resistance" aproach a running rig would be better?

Also if you were to put this on an alarm for a bit say to cast another rod would you bother with a dropper? Baitrunner or open bail arm?

Sorry for the million questions! Lol

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:30 am

the wieght on the line should be balanced with the size of the float so when they pick up the bait the float is taking the wieght if you get what i mean.
the pike only has the wieght of the bait not that i think it matters much because i don't think they are that good a bait estimation (wieght )
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Lefty wrote:

loaded floats are GREAT orniments only
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:46 am

GUYS your right the loaded float is not a good bit of kit especially in winter...Winter Pike will usually take a bait slowly and the in some cases a lift bite will occur.Not so with a loaded float as i cannot lay flat on the waters surface.If you fish with an unloaded float it will pop up on the lift and sit on the surface then usually slide away.

On that note with Pike Float fishing i always watch my float/floats and only have the alarms on as a second indication of a take....So there you go each to his/her own.
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  megsta Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 am

can someone recommend a float for this method? is the fox pencil an example?

thanks

megsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next